“Elegant hotel”

Ranked #4 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
New York, NY
“Elegant hotel”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Had a lovely two night stay at this property. The room was spacious and well-appointed. The lobby was elegant, as were the amenities in the hotel. It is in a great location in "Uptown Dallas" which is convenient to restaurants and bars, as well as many businesses.

It was too chilly to go into the pool when I stayed here, but the pool area was nice as was the gym. I would stay here again on my next trip to Dallas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank FromNYCtoTheWorld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I don't usually stay at The Ritz, but I was recently here for a business conference and the experience was top notch from beginning to end. What a luxury hotel stay should be. On top of that, the location is great with numerous bars and restaurants within easy walking distance. A great place for a high-end business stay (not sure about the amenities). Have fun!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for Labor Day 2012. Checked in on Friday, our flight arrived early at about 10:30 and we had no problem getting an early check in. We had a relaxing day at the pool each time we were there. At no point did our glasses (both margarita's and water) ever get below half full before we were asked if we would like another!

The valet staff was wonderful with recommendations and directions how to get to places both withing walking and driving distance. And even though it was a busy holiday weekend, the valet staff always greeted us by name!

Both the bar and restaurant and totally and completely top notch! Delicious drinks and if you go to Brunch have the Paper Bag Fried Chicken. It is amazing. The people watching at the bar is the best people watching ever.

We went to a concert at American Airlines and were offered a ride to the concert in the hotel Jaguar, we took a cab back but the offer and the drive were wonderful.

Make sure to go to the spa and get the Margarita Scrub treatment! It was heavenly and the spa staff was very friendly!

Overall it was a heavenly 5 day stay and we can not wait to return just to stay at the hotel!!

Room Tip: Get the Margarita Scrub at the Spa! Wonderful and relaxing!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ritz for a meeting. It was the first time I've stayed there. It's a beautiful hotel on the near north side of Dallas. I was impressed that each time you approached the front door the door was opened for you and you were greeted. The check in process was speedy and very friendly. I was offered a nice cold water and promptly given a large corner room with a great view of the area. Other than a large stain in the carpet the room was terrific! The amenities were nice and everything well appointed. I have to admit to being disappointed with the fact that things were dirty. The curtains were stained and a bit disgusting. I noticed pieces of paper on the floor on several floors of the hotel. A couple of them were there for most of my stay...five days. That's just not what I'd expect from a Ritz. This is a five star hotel if they can get their housekeeping together. Until then, it's just a very good hotel. The pool area was nice, though again, I noticed old cigars that sat there for more than a couple of days. Checkout was a snap! I'd probably stay there again...but, would like to see them clean up their act just a bit. Ask for a corner room if you can get one, they're bright airy and pleasant!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rhch
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Rooms are spotlessly clean. Bed very comfortable.Furnishings comfortable and attractive. Large bathroom. Breakfast in restaurant was very good and served efficiently. Bentley complimentary house car is beautiful and luxurious .
Bar is beautiful with good service. Reception could have been a little more efficient.

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 6 nights at the Ritz and competely enjoyed our stay. The staff was completely accomodating and the location was great. We stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 6th floor. By comparison the suite was somewhat small, but still had everything you could want or ask for. It had a very small but nice balcony that overlooked the downtown area. It had a nice outdoor table and CHAIR. We called for another chair and they brought us a chair from what appeared to be the dining room. Not what I expected from the Ritz. Servcie was great except that they did turndown service each night at about 6 PM. We didn't normally go out until 8 or 8:30 so turndown at 6 PM was meaningless and not what we expected of the Ritz.

We found a price on the hotel web site that included valet parking and a breakfast package. Breakfast was outstanding with great, friendly staff. Valet was prompt and very accomodating. Internet was available for $ 40 a week or $ 9 per day. Very easy to use.

The hotel itself sits at the South end of the Uptown area. Easy to get to and really within walking distance of anything in Uptown if you prefer to walk. Trolley was easy to use for transportation as well but was a bit slow. We are older couple and just chose to walk.

Many, many restaurants in the area. Cant say any was better than the other but we enjoyed Avanti the best when you consider the quality, cost and ambiance.

Bar at the hotel was terrific. Nice professional crown, dressed well and there to have fun. Stopped by each night before or after dinner. Bartenders were very accompodating. Great guys.

First time in Dallas in many years. Dont have anything to compare the Ritz to in Dallas but if i were to go back and stay in the uptown area I would likely stay at the Ritz again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 610. Great view but a litte smaller than what we expected
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Review Summary: poor reception, toxic laundry, great shoe-shine, disappointing management, missed wake-up and utterly embarrassing response to an exception.

Upon arrival, FIVE bell boys stood around talking whilst I collected my luggage myself and entered the building. Lets compare this to the Ritz Carlton in Battery Park, the door of the cab is opened for you and you see your bags in your room. POOR.

Put my shoes in for shoe-shine with a request for delivery at 7:00am. The advertisement in the room stated the same too. Called them at 7:25am to ask where the shoes were. Missed breakfast as they arrived at 7:45am!

They were very shiny.

Put a shirt in for laundry. It came back with a stain on the collar. As it was not too noticeable I made the rueful mistake of wearing it anyway. It caused chemical burns to my throat. My skin was heating up all day, a rash formed by lunch, by the afternoon when I finished teaching my class I had a full blown case of contact dermatitis, on a 270 degree scale. My skin is on fire! I won't go into the gory details other than to say it was akin to localised chicken pox.

Upon return to the hotel I had purchased another top and described to them what had happened. Both the receptionist and supervisor were shocked. The latter took a photo and asked if she could take the shirt for further investigation. I said yes and added that I am leaving in the morning at 8:45am so there would need to be a resolution of some kind before then. I asked for a wake-up at 7:00am.

No wake up call.

Rushed down stairs at 8:40 having woken up 60 minutes late, missed the breakfast again. No shirt back on my door, no call, no message, no "I'm terribly sorry", no acknowledgement at all.
Got to reception.

RC: "Checking out sir?"
Me: "Yes, please".
RC "How was your stay?"
Silence as she is reading the screen associated with my booking.
Me: "Not very good. I have a rash caused by your laundry service that has affected the clothing so much that the stainless steel collar pins on my TM Lewin shirt have now changed colour to a caustic green!"
RC: "Oh"
Me: "I'm in a rush now as I did not get my wake-up call and I'd like my shirt back to send to someone in London to see what chemicals I've been exposed to that could have caused such a drastic response in a matter of hours, akin to a second degree burn. Could you please see where it is".
RC: "Certainly sir, I can see the notes on your booking from last night, that must be awful. I'll call down now. [dials the number]. Hello, it's reception here, do you have Mr Abraham's shirt, you do, good, could you please bring it up to the reception area. [hangs up]. It's coming right up sir.
Me: "I'm running very late. Could you please print a copy of the bill and I will be back in an hour after my first meeting to collect my luggage, the bill and my shirt.
RC: "Of course sir".

They now have an hour to respond to the unhappy customer. What do they do? Nothing.

One hour later to a different receptionist.
I've come to collect my luggage, my shirt and my bill.
RC: Certainly sir, may I have your room number
Me: 804
RC: I see sir that you had some trouble with the laundry.
I show her my neck
RC: Oh my gosh, that looks very painful. I'm terribly sorry sir. I'll get your things immediately.

She gets my luggage, my bill and after a five minute wait, my shirt.

THAT'S IT! End of story. Perhaps as far as they're concerned.

I left the hotel!

On comparison to the RC in Singapore and in Battery Park, Manhattan, this hotel is a joke. Management need a significant intervention. I'm especially upset as I quote this company as a benchmark for customer service. The property in Dallas is the exception to the rule. A disgrace to the brand.

One thing's for sure, messing up is not the end of the relationship as one can always follow up, but on this occasion I would simply avoid that particular property again. There's no excuse for a systemic disregard for customer satisfaction.

They get a 2 out of 5 for the shoe-shine and the lovely rooms. That's generous.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room in your initial booking. Nice views of the city from the 8th floor.
4 Thank Daryle A