“Get ready to pay!”
Review of Stephan Pyles - CLOSED

Stephan Pyles
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: St. Paul
Transit: Trolley
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food was fine but not worth the hefty price and next time, would it be such an awful thing if I kept your writing pen?

1  Thank Cornmeal J

Reviewed March 16, 2013

While attending a convention in Dallas, we kept up a tradition of having a nice dinner with two long-time friends in a promising restaurant. We were limited to being not too far from the Sheraton, Marriott and Fairmont and the Meyerson Symphony Hall, so Stephen Pyle's was a logical choice. It has earned high marks from other TA members and I can report that the high marks were fully deserved. The location is directly across the street from the Fairmont and about 5 blocks from the Sheraton and Marriott and about 5 blocks west of the Meyerson and the opera house in the Arts District.

We had a wide range of appetites and tastes, but everyone pronounced their choices to be winners.
First the setting--a modern room with glass enclosed kitchen surrounded on three sides. There are some long tables facing the kitchen which would work for large groups, or for those who like to gaze at the very busy team behind the glass. Note however, there is some distance to that glass, so you won't see the close details of preparations (such as Seattle's famous 13 Coins where the chefs are right on the otherside of the counter.) The lighting is adequate and during the evening panels change colors. White linens and comfortable chairs add a touch of class. Given the hard surfaces of the room, one might expect it to be very noisy, but carpets and restrained background music enabled easy conversation at a table for four. (by contrast another Stephen Pyle restaurant, Samara, is so noisy as to require shouting--and requests to turn down the sound were answered with 'that's the way the owners want it.!!") The restaurant does have an outdoor patio--I don't know if food is served there during the usual warm season--the night we were there drinks could be enjoyed outside, but meals were exclusively inside.

The menus (available on line) offer Stephen Pyle's distinctive melding of good Continental cuisine with a "Southwestern" take--quite a few dishes promise spiciness, although most of what we encountered was a restrained as the background music. Among the evening favorite mains was the bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin--a steak knife was brought, but I think a butter knife in strong hands could have cut the delicate flavorful meat. A Bronzino (seabass) was a big hit--again both tender and flavorful. Three of us had the Southwestern Caesar--the Romaine lettuce leaves are dressed in Caeser dressing and then presented tucked vertically into a baked cheese round--quietly spicy, with soft croutons made of polenta with a bit of jalapeno presence. Because we were heading to a concert, we could not really tackle the many appetizers, nor the desserts, but a few that we sampled were spectacular. In short, this was a fabulous dinner, served elegantly and professionally with good pacing. During our short stay in Dallas, I gained an impression that a lot of restaurant staff have built up a pronounced professionalism coupled with warm and friendly demeanor, and Stephan Pyle's had the best of the lot that we dealt with. Oh yes, the wine list was very good, and the very good wines were expensive, but the less expensive choice we made was quite satisfactory. This is not a bargain-rate establishment, we split our tabs and both parties spent about $165 including tip. Adding more starters, add drinks, add pricier wines, add dessert and obviously it will be a special evening in more than just your culinary memories.

If you are visiting Dallas and, particularly is you will be in the Art District, I would strongly recommend making a booking at Stephan Pyle's. One odd note though--we had booked through Open Table and I thought we received an acknowledgment, but the restaurant had no record of the booking--this is, however, I think a problem between me and Open Table. I mention this because the staff at the restaurant went out of their way on a busy evening to accommodate us at a nice table in a quieter part of the room--just another example of the hospitable professionalism that added extra bliss to a memorable dinner.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I decided to have a bit of a treat, and Stephan Pyles did not disappoint. I had the Caesar salad and the pork tenderloin, and both were excellent. My waiters were very attentive, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Definitely somewhere to try!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

A group of us went to Stephan Pyles restaurant for a business dinner. It was a very short walk from the Fairmont Dallas hotel. Both the food and the service were delightful. We had a great corner table and our waiter was pleasant and courteous. The wine selection was excellent. The menu offered a nice selection of gourmet dishes. The Ahi Tuna ceviche was fresh and tasty. I also enjoyed the wood fired market fish. Everyone in our group spoke highly of their dishes. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the area though it is pricey since it is considered a "celebrity restaurant."

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Had a wonderful dinner at the bar by myself. The folks were nice and the food was imaginative and well prepared. The Texas Temperanillo was a find.