“Greratly disappointed”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Prestonwood Boulevard
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Kenny's Woodfire Grill in Addison, Texas --- My Dad picked this restaurant because it rated was rated #1 in Addison and #6 in Dallas by D Magazine. So, to say the least, we went there with some pretty high hopes and expectations.

The restaurant itself had adequate lighting, but not "good" lighting... so I could say it was cozy in that respect. Tables and chairs were nice... The booth sitting area (which is where we sat) was comfortable enough. The menus were quite easy to read due to their physical size -- they were a thick cardboard material and about 14"x18"... print was plenty large to see menu option descriptions.

Food -- I began with having the caesar salad which was huge. The croutons were made of palenta, not bread. Flavor wise, they were ok, but not my personal favorite for croutons -- I prefer a bread based crouton. The salad itself was quite good -- the dressing was a very tasty dressing for caesar dressing. I believe it had anchovy paste in it, which in my opinion is a major necessity in having a good quality caesar dressing. For my entree, I ordered the shrimp and scallops. The shrimp were advertised as "U-10 shrimp" -- this means that the size of the shrimp is up to 10 shrimp per pound. Quite honestly, I would venture the shrimp was much closer to a U-15 shrimp. As for the preparation of the shrimp, to the eye, they looked quite tasty. They brought me a steak knife just before brining the plate to me & I wondered why I was getting a steak knife when having ordered shrimp and scallops -- I've never had to have a steak knife for shrimp or scallops before. Once I began to "dig in" on the shrimp, I knew why the steak knife was brought to me -- it was needed. The shrimp were cooked probably twice as long as they should have been and were literally as tough as a mediocre grade steak. I was quite disappointed. The sea scallops were average sized for sea scallops and no knife was needed to cut those. The sauce that accompanied both the shrimp and scallops was tasty enough, but due to the shrimp being so poorly cooked, made the overall experience quite disappointing for me. Lastly, the entree consisted of 2 shrimp and 2 scallops. For the $26 price tag on this entree, it was not a wise choice economically.

Just to give a quick rundown of what others with me had for dinner -- Dad had the steak sandwich and he reported that it was "far less than hoped for". Mom had a grilled chicken salad and could only stand to eat a few bites of her entree. George had a grilled chicken of some sort and reported that it was delicious. Megan had the filet mignon and said it was very good. I'll say this much too... when I saw Megan's filet, I immediately wished I had ordered it instead of what I ordered after seeing my entree and seeing hers. Live and learn.

Service was at least better than average. The waiter was quite friendly and knowlegable as well as being very attentive to our needs as to keeping our drinks refilled and checking to see how we were doing while eating.

So... overall......... Salad = A-. Shrimp and scallop entree = D. Service = B+. Overall price value = D.

Needless to say, I will pass on visiting this restaurant again.

2  Thank Mike B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,149)

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Dallas has it's own character. Smooth jazz, and most restaurants lack character. This one is different. Outstanding food, and just as important, excellent service. I asked for a cold martini. Halfway through, the bartender, Brian, brought me a new, frozen martini glass and poured mine in it! Nobody does that! You can walk from there to Chamberlain's cigar lounge. Perfect. Highly recommended.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been past this restaurant many times but did not know it was there till a Trip Advisor review. Thank goodness for Trip Advisor. All the reviews were spot on, this is a great place to go. We had the lunch menu with the onion soup "fantastic", the greek salad, the half pound crab cake"fantastic" and the 6 oz steak. It was very very good. The waiter was great and being that we were there the first time, they gave us a sample of the steak appetizer. The decor inside is so different than the exterior- it was just what we like, dark, nicely done with low lighting. The bar area is quite large and they told us all of their drinks are "doubles". We need try next time. We will be back again for sure. They did advise to get reservations since it is very full most of the time. We were there at 3:30 and it was about half full even then.

2  Thank quicktraveler91
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Husband and I had dinner here after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed! The service was outstanding....greeted by name by our server and had my martini glass swapped out twice for frozen glasses (nice touch!). Yes, the bread popovers are fantastic. I ordered the ahi tuna appetizer for myself and the server suggested that he could make a half order for me as it easily served 2 people. This was very much appreciated and they were fantastic! Husband had the chicken and raved about it like the other reviewers and I enjoyed the sea bass. My only complaint....the restaurant was very loud which dampens the fine dining experience.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I'm speechless. I have eaten thousands of burgers but realised that until I ate one here at Kenny's that I had actually never had a burger before.
The filet mignon is almost as good.
Washed down with a few Mirror Pond Pales and you've had a wicked night.
I'll be back next time I'm in Dallas for sure.