“Very nice but pricey.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Jackson, WI
“Very nice but pricey.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night while in Dallas for business. Hotel is very nice and decor is beautiful! Service was also excellent. Downside was on a very busy road and for the $ I thought the rooms were very average. Had a room in a different hotel the night before in Dallas and it was much bigger and about half the price. If money is no object it is a very nice hotel and would suggest but if your looking for the best deal for your $ I would say there are better options in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
New Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had forgotten that i already reviewed the Dallas Palomar last year, but i feel compelled to do so again because i was blown away by recent stay there. I've graduated to the "Inner Circle" of Kimpton's "In Touch" Loyalty Program, so the manager of this property emailed me the day before my visit to congratulate me, welcome me, and ask if there was anything they could do to improve my stay. When I told him my favorite Kimpton snack, he sent it to the room shortly after my arrival with a nice note! Also, they had a bigger/better room available so gave me a free upgrade due to my Inner Circle status. When i walked in and saw the suite, I was so impressed that my first thought was to take a later flight the next morning so that i could fully appreciate the luxury. It was nice to have a separate living room and the bathroom was so opulent that i had to send a photo home to my family. The bedroom itself was big, spacious, and great design -- it had its own sitting area. I am so never staying in that super dull Hilton Park Cities again and am looking forward to my next trip to the Palomar, which i have already booked.

Room Tip: Join Kimpton In Touch. I've never had a bad room at this hotel. If you are thinking of spending...
2 Thank ElmCityAfficionado
PalomarPR, Director of Sales at The Highland Dallas, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your very kind words about he Palomar and our fabulous staff! We are thrilled that you have been enjoying Kimpton InTouch. Now that you have achieved Inner Circle, we cannot wait to surprise and delight you each time you are here. All of us are grateful to have you as our guest each time you are in Dallas. Thanks for making the Palomar your home away from home. See you soon!
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The Hotel Palomar is not the most expensive hotel in the area of Dallas around SMU, but it's probably the best deal. I have come to expect a lot from Kimpton hotels, and this one met my expectations. The staff was at our service, both for our conference and for each of us as individual guests. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. Everyone is friendly and seems genuinely interested in making your stay go well, but also in learning more about you and what you do. I will stay here again.

1 Thank Jennifer T
PalomarPR, Director of Sales at The Highland Dallas, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so very much for choosing Palomar! We know that you have several choices near the SMU area, but we are glad you selected the fabulous Palomar. Our location, impeccable reputation for great guest service, and wonderful facility, make the perfect combination for travelers just like yourself. Next time you are in Dallas, please make your home away from home at the Palomar.
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everything was wonderful. The staff impeccably trained and friendly! The room was very nicely appointed and also clean. The hotel itself was quiet and restful. The evening happy hour was free and delicious. The courtesy driver and car to local restaurants and closeby outing was more than I could have hoped for. I didn't pay for a cab the entire time I was there except to and from the airport. I took the courtesy car 5 times during my stay. I've stayed at more than my fair share of hotels. This one ranks in the top 10. I have no hesitation in recommending a stay at this hotel.

I even had my nails done at the spa. Possibly the best manicure I've ever gotten. 5 days later, no chips and still looks great and they made space for me even though I didn't have an appointment. Wow...

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank C001
Wow! Thanks for staying at the Palomar when you are back in your old neighborhood of the Park Cities/ SMU area. We are glad that you tried out the wonderful new menu of our Executive Chef Graham Dodds. The farm to table locally produced foods make Central 214 a top destination of locals and return visitors like you. Thank you again for choosing us! We will see you on your next visit.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I like this hotel. I'm just not crazy about the area. The best part of this hotel is the quiet. I asked for a room away from the elevator, stayed on a high floor facing north and didn't hear a thing...not even the sound of the crashing cars on the Mockingbird I-75 ramp outside the front door. Seriously, driving out of that hotel and trying to cut across three lanes of speeding ramp traffic to make the u turn and get onto I 75 toward downtown is crazy dangerous. There was a wreck there on the rainy night I stayed there. And that's the way the valet guys tell you to get to the highway. It's very congested on Mockingbird with the new shopping center across the street and all the traffic coming off the highway ramp. It's right by SMU.

But there are a lot of good things once you get through the front door. The hotel staff is very friendly and sharp. The lobby is comfy with modern, stylish decor and cool music. There are fireplaces and many areas to congregate. They put out a nice selection of coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the morning and iced tea in the afternoon. There is free berry infused filtered water available all day. Join the Kimpton club and you get free internet, free paper and a 10.00 per day mini bar credit.

I like their zebra print terry robes and their Etro bath products. The bed is very comfy with lots of pillows. I don't care for the smallish tub and shower combo in the bathroom and they have lousy water pressure. My standard king room was very tight with little room to maneuver between bed and tv console.

The restaurant is very good. I like the modern, open kitchen design and the groovy bar area. It's bright and there is outdoor seating.

I have stayed at The Palomar many times. Overall I come back because the rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable, the business rate is good and it's not far from downtown. It's second only to the Zaza for me.

Room Tip: a high floor away from elevator is quietest. the pool can be noisy on the south side. there is no...
1 Thank robinreps
PalomarPR, Director of Sales at The Highland Dallas, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing us each time you come to Dallas! We are thrilled that you like our fabulous bar at Central 214. It definitely has a great vibe. Make sure you stop by the concierge desk next time so we can give you some insider tricks and tips about how to avoid the traffic snarls. Thanks again for choosing Palomar!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

One drawback was the Kimpton Club.
When we arrived, we were advised that if we joined the Kimpton Club (at no cost), we would receive a free paper(Wall Street Journal) and free wi-fi in our room.
After many attempts, we were informed we were a member but the wi-fi did not eventuate nor the paper.No-one took responsibility to fix the problem.
The main problem was that we were informed ,on check in, that ONLY level 4 had animals.
We felt safe as we were on level 5.
On walking to our room on level 5, a woman came out of her room with a big dog.
Unfortunately, we were unwittingly part of the kennel.So much for the "human friendly" floor!
Everything else was excellent and we would return if we could obtain a real "human friendly" room.
The staff were particularly helpful and the Hotel well located to transport.
The restaurant was excellent and the breakfast very quick.

Room Tip: If you don't like sharing your room with animals, aim for a high level floor.
2 Thank anthony f
Yikes! We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with follow up from our guest service agent/manager. Please accept our apologies for not receiving your paper and seamless wireless service. It is our intention that every Kimpton InTouch guest receives the highest level of service. We would like to invite you back to the hotel so that you can experience a flawless stay; one that you would be pleased with at every turn. Thank you for choosing us! We hope to see you again in at the Palomar in Dallas very soon.
Jackson, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just returned from spending yet another wonderful night at the Palomar. I cannot do this hotel justice with words. Everyone should see for themselves. The service is outstanding, the rooms are spacious and lovely. Room service is always prompt. Having stayed at all the other top hotels in Dallas, this is the only home away from home I would every choose. Do yourself a favor, and spend some time here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Wow! A million thank you's to one of our favorite guests! We are so grateful that you choose to stay at the Palomar when you are in Dallas. We know you have many choices, yet we are honored that you choose to make Palomar your home away from home. We hope to see you again very soon! Make sure you join Kimpton InTouch for even better benefits at all 58 of our wonderful hotels. Thanks again!