“Excellent”

Ranked #75 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've only once reviewed a hotel on Tripadvisor and it was BAD! But I feel compelled to state how truly lovely the Belmont is. The front desk staff are SERIOUSLY friendly, they leave a note on your bed welcoming you, the rooms are sparkling clean and have lovely toiletries for such a small place. The affiliated gym is very well stocked, clean and thoughtfully laid out. I travel for about 50% of my life and I really look forward to coming here. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Celia O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Houston, TX
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Just completed a one-night stay at the Belmont. The best thing about the Belmont is that it offers some unique features that set it apart. I had one of the two-story junior suites which afforded a spectacular view of Downtown Dallas. I loved the cozy bar and generous deck with the same terrific view. To enjoy the Belmont, you'll need to appreciate the stylish retro-hip updating of this former motor court. So don't go in expecting big bathrooms with granite counters. A minor complaint is the lack of a coffee maker in the room, but fresh gourmet coffee is available in the lobby. Great spot for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Hou_architect
texas
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Wow! We stayed here two nights and just loved everything about it! Great service, great view of downtown, great architecture. Over the three-day, two-night period that we were there, we ate at Smoke at least once a day. We had breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All were delish! This hotel is great for any type of get away. I wish that we would have gone to Chicken Scratch just down the road, but we just didn't have the time. The hotel was really very easy to find too. It's a little bit of Dallas from decades past. We stayed in one of the motor court rooms. The side garage area for these rooms has been transformed into a little private patio with a window view of downtown. Our bathroom was recently redone but still had that old-time feel to it. The toiletries were fabulous!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the motor court rooms rather than one inside the hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
austin
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have been traveling to Dallas for business for a decade, and try to stay at the Belmont whenever possible. For me, it has become my "go to" spot, and I have probably stayed around 20 times for both business and pleasure. I am a solo female business traveler, and I understand some concern about the area- but I have never had any problem and I think it's well worth the charm of Oak Cliff. The staff are welcoming and pleasant, and I just can't get enough of walking up to the gorgeous building! If you enjoy this type of architecture, the Belmont is a treat. I do find prior reviews regarding the rooms not being remodeled a little odd- they clearly have been remodeled with the purpose being to retain the original charm of the motor court. The bathrooms often have some original tile, and it may not be perfect like Holiday Inn Express- but the depth of the old tubs is wonderful! The Belmont has character. There are a few things that the Belmont had years ago when I first visited that I miss- there used to be small wire carts in the bathrooms which gave you a place to put toiletries, and in-room coffee. Luckily, they have excellent coffee available in the lobby, but you have to walk to get it. The bar is lovely, with frequently changing art. The outdoor bar area has the best view in Dallas. It can be a bit noisy, so if you're traveling for business ask for a room far from the bar. If you have time, breakfast at Smoke is tasty- not your cheapest option in the area, but a pleasure. If you're not overly concerned about calories- try the hominy casserole, and the biscuits. Overall, I am always pleased if I have the opportunity to book a night or two at the Belmont- for me it makes my business travel feel less like work and more like a vacation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TBRabbit
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Nicely appointed suites with a variety of amenities available at reasonable prices. Rooms are spacious, even the basic room, updated but carefully retaining the vintage feel of this Dallas Landmark. Views are beyond words of the Dallas skyline. Rooms are clean, pool is beautiful and staff are always helpful and friendly. Bar has patio overlooking Dallas skyline, award winning Smoke restaurant on premise. Shuttles available for local travel. Check out Chicken Scratch restaurant down the street for live entertainment and good chicken, pan fried or roasted. We have been coming hear for over 5 years and have never been disappointed.

Room Tip: Suites with soaking tubs have views of Dallas skyline. For extra indulgence try the Balcony suite w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Touted as a revived 1940’s motor lodge, the concept was very cool, and I really enjoy staying at unique hotels when I travel. The photos on their website, along with the great reviews had me excited, it looked trendy and hip, and there are usually some very cool additional amenities usually offered when staying at this type of place. I arrived later in the evening so it was dark as I was navigating to the hotel. I traveled through several dead ends and detours through very sketchy areas which terrified me as a solo female business traveler but was willing to endure the terror to have a cool experience.

What a total let down. I had booked a two-story junior suite. Upon walking into the unit, the carpet was gross and dingy, the room stark and bare, and every step echoed. Not welcoming and warm in the least. I was creeped out by the location and despite the reassurances from the front desk and valet that the area was safe, I still had my druthers. I requested to be moved to a standard room located in the main building. The room was smaller and I felt safer, but the accommodations continued to be lackluster. It was late and I was scared to leave and venture into the sketchy area for alternate accommodations. The linens were not good quality, the sheets and towels felt very Motel 6. Again, the gross carpet, I was concerned about getting up to go to the bathroom without shoes. The tv was miniscule, like 13”, my laptop screen is larger. For a tv that size, it should have had knobs to stick with the retro concept. The good: the view of downtown.

Totally overrated for what they tout. A cool concept that fails to deliver with the nasty carpet and stiff, cheap linens. A no-go for solo female travelers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank whaltar
Scott H, General Manager at Belmont Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of renovating our rooms a handful at a time, and we are addressing some of the very things you mentioned. If I can be of any assistance please contact me personally and let me know. We hope you will give us another try in the future!

sincerely,
Mason Spagna
Sydeny
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

I booked the Belmontbat the last minute. They helped me out straight away. The staff are so friendly. The bar downstairs had a great atmosphere and great food. Smoke next door provided an exstensive menu. Pork chop was my favourite. I'm not sure when I'll be back but this will be first stop

• Stayed January 2013