“Neat hotel, but we had some issues”

W Dallas Victory Hotel
Ranked #47 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
San Antonio, Texas
“Neat hotel, but we had some issues”
Reviewed June 30, 2007

I am a corporate travel agent and I love good hotels. I was very excited to stay at the W Dallas Victory. Unfortunately, it did not live up to my expectations.

We arrived and entered the lobby. The girl that checked us in was great! She was very friendly and not snobby at all. (We didn't exactly look like the cream of society, having been bird watching all day) When she was taking information from me the music was so loud she kept having to have me repeat myself. She said she always had problems with it and the later it got the louder it got. She did give me some recommendations on food and told me about the bars.

We went up to our room, which was a very odd set up. As others have said, you walk through the bathroom to get into the main part of the room. I found that a bit off putting. The bathroom is very nice, but.... The bath is also open onto the room, though there are drapes you can draw. That didn't appeal to me at all.

The sleeping part of the room was really nice. The bed was great, with wonderful pillows. There was a really nice chaise lounge and a plasma screen tv. I did notice that the duvet looked like a cat had walked across it, picking some of the threads with its claws.

We had trouble with a lot of noisy partyers on our floor. Also,we are early to bedders, and at about 11PM there was a knock on our door. My husband answered it and someone said they had the pillow we had asked for. We didnt ask for a pillow.

The final blow was when we went to check out. We had valet parked the car and they couldnt find my key! It took about 20 minutes to get the car.

Over all the location is good. I like the chic modern style and the staff was very nice. I think that we were just there on a bad night, but I will have a hard time recommending this hotel to my clients.

• Liked — The clean chic decor
  • Disliked — Problems with noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sngcanary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
Reviewed June 27, 2007

I liked the W very much. I liked the color change of The Living Room bar and the drinks were very tasty, although a bit expensive but it is a W. There was also a free laptop connected with wi-fi for use in the lobby, which was very handy for me since I forgot my laptop adaptor at home.

There were a few odd details about the place:

1) My cover sheet was kind of shredded - not like big giant gaping holes but the stitching was definitely coming out like maybe a cat had jumped on it. Which was odd, considering the hotel's attention to detail and the fact that it is not very old.

2) The glass wall that separates the shower from the sink left me bruised on the top of my head. It is very thick glass.

3) The pool on the 16th floor has a very thorough set of rules of what can be done and what can not be done in the pool, including no blowing of your nose. Useful - yes. Annoying - definitely. Also, I would think the pool on the other side of the landing would have been a better place for it - instead of a view of Downtown Dallas, you get a view of the highway and a construction zone.

Overall, I would definitely stay there again and it will be a lot nicer once the construction is done next to the hotel.

• Liked — Bath produts and design
  • Disliked — Almost too much attention from the staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank rantinpe
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 20, 2007

If you're looking to see and be seen by other Dallas people who are also hoping to see and be seen, you'll feel right at home staying in the W. The crowd in the lobby was laughably or smartly dressed depending on your perspective. In either case it was distinctively Dallas.

The W complex strives to be an über-trendy hotel-gone-night-club. A slew of color-kinetic lights illuminate the lobby walls and also rise from the floor. An aggressive soundtrack of piped in techno music floods the public areas of the hotel. After a while in the hotel it became clear that the same songs play over and over. It's a miracle people working in the hotel don't go crazy listening to the overly loud soundtrack.

If you're looking for a quiet retreat or a relaxed getaway, this is not the place.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a wild bachelorette party or a place to party after a concert, the W might be for you.

The room I had looked like it was straight out of a reality series on Bravo. The paint colors were trendy and the furnishings were modern. However, they were showing signs of age and wear. The faux-ostrich headboard and suede curtain dividing the room into bathroom and bedroom seemed over the top. The comforter on the bed was worn enough that if made me wonder just how many people had been on it before me.

Surprisingly the W signature bed was marginal at best. I wouldn't have thought that the Hilton signature bed would eclipse the W's. However, this bed, didn't compare to Hilton's bed.

The hotel also sports a "whatever, whenever" theme. All of the signs, messages, etc., in the building appear to have been thought out by some ad agency going for an edgy theme designed to make the hotel seem "cool." Maybe I'm a cynic but it reminded me of a bad high school yearbook theme.

The bright spot of the hotel was the staff. Everywhere you went you were greeted by warm and helpful hotel employees. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and efficient. The live wake-up call was really nice. Plus, when I scheduled it (for an early hour) the were kind enough to ask if I needed a back-up call 15 minutes later. (I did).

The pool deck is worth seeing. It's a two-story deck 16 some-odd stories in air in the middle of a 30 some-odd story building. The open deck and gravity pool are quite unique.

Now, a word for those who are wrapped up in the "Dallas Scene". If you're young and enjoy dressing up, instead of down at the end of the day, you'll love this hotel. It's probably a perfect fit. If, on the other hand, your parent's are looking for a place to stay, this is most likely not the way to go.

• Liked — The staff was excellent
  • Disliked — The room was a bit shabby.
4 Thank UTAustin
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed June 12, 2007

The last couple of reviews are really off base in my opinion. This place is not for everyone - let's get that out of the way. It is hyper-modern, and yes, the rooms and hallways are painted a dark color. So what, it works! Very dramatic effect.

The lobby is like a really cool movie set, and has very different feelings at night and in daytime. The guy who checked me in could not have been nicer, a really pleasant fellow who was not in the least bit snobby. The doormen and every other staff member I encountered were unfailingly pleasant and polite, always with a smile and a hello.

The elevators have piped in music. The hallways are dark but not in a dangerous way. Maybe other posters are exaggerating a bit? I was upgraded to a "Spectacular View King" on a higher floor. It was a big room, with the bathroom just inside the entrance, tiled in charcoal gray. The shower was great, and the Bliss toiletries are very nice - worth bringing home.

There was a big plasma, a nice sized desk and a big, comfortable backless sofa in front of the window. But the highlight for me was the bed - wow was it comfortable, even better than the Westin Heavenly Bed. You will not want to get out of bed in the morning. Best.Bed.Ever.

Oh, as for the "hidden" electrical outlets, there are two behind the TV and one in the base of each nightstand lamp. So what is the issue, people?

The wake up call was a live person, always a nice touch, and she was on time for the firs and follow-up and was very pleasant.

Also pleasant was my server in the bar restaurant, Tara. She was very sweet and very efficient. That was nice after a long and delayed flight.

Valet parking was fine, unlike other posters' experiences. Just call down from the room before you need the car.

Altogether, a very nice experience. I will return when next in the Big D.

• Liked — The bed and the service
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank hartss
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 11, 2007

After staying here last February when the hotel was new, I thought it needed to make some improvements. After staying here again this month (June) I think the improvements are awesome! Check-in was a breeze, getting a hotel car to a special event was very easy thanks to the very capable and most accomodating Concierge, Eloy. This guy goes over and above to make guests happy! Room service was perfect, great bar service, wonderful food - everything was top-notch!
The staff there is exceptionally friendly, and that really makes the hotel extra-special. I think this is the place to stay in Dallas!!

• Liked — Warm, accomodating and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Pricey but worth it
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
Reviewed June 8, 2007

If you like Dark, Gay and Cheap at very high prices, you will love this place. However if you want a what a $400 room should get you, go somewhere else. This place is a ripoff. At $89 a night I would have rather stayed in a Motel 6.

The $400 room was not large, the walls were dark gray almost black with dark carpeting. To get any light you have to open the curtains on the smaller than normal window all the way. The shower is separated from the bedroom by a curtain, yes a curtain -- no wall or door. The hallways are so dark it feels like you are in a cave. I kept waiting for someone to jump out and mug me.

• Liked — The drive out the parking lot
  • Disliked — the dark oppressive decor
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed June 3, 2007

When in Dallas (for business) I always stay at the Grand Hyatt at the Airport (one of my favorite hotels to date - don't laugh - it is a first rate hotel and perfect for business travelers). However, I thought I would try this place since it is fairly new. What a waste of time and money. Wish I would have read the not so great reviews prior to my stay - they were all spot on!

First, location is totally awkward. Second, the place is run by a completely amateur staff. Young kids have been clearly hired for their alleged "hipness" but the simple things - directions, printing boarding pass, check-in - seemed a bit beyond this crew's capabilities. Conceriege seemed totally perplexed that we were asking for help. As one previous reviewer said, this place is trying way too hard to be hip and cool and in doing so, it is actually just quite humorous to see all these people taking themselves so seriously as they pretend to know how to work in a hotel.

Ghost Bar is OK but no real views to speak of. Room layout, as one previous reviewer indicated, is completely odd. Good luck finding electrical outlets for a hair dryer - none in the "bathroom" area. Hint - look behind the LG flat screen TV. Also, for such a new hotel, I was shocked at how run down it appears to be already. Furniture looks like they picked it up at a Wal-Mart clearance sale. Its all nicked and cheaply made and doesn't at all fit with decor. Rugs in halls and rooms are already worn.

Take a pass on this place. Check out the Grand Hyatt at the airport instead - you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank mkgesq