“PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE !!!!!”

W Dallas Victory Hotel
Ranked #52 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Louisiana
“PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE !!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

Well first off check in is at 3:00, we arrived at 5:30 and our room was not ready(we were told it was because they were full the night before and they were behind on house keeping ha ha) so we had to take a smoking room. The air conditioner was off when we got to our room and it was so hot and smelled like cig. smoke , Once in our room we realize the sliding door where the toilet was does not stay closed and the only privacy you get between the bathroom and the bedroom is a curtain.Bring your own cokes because there are no vending machines, you have a fridge full of drinks if you like paying $6 for a can drink. Also bring some plastic cups to drink from cause you only get 1 glass by the sink. If you look for the electric plug in the bathroom I will let you know look really really good it is on the wall by the sink close to the floor and painted the same color as the wall lol . We left to go to a concert and when we returned I felt like I was walking into a night club, there were so many people hanging around the lobby and it was very dark and glowing. We stayed on the 8th floor and the noise of the drunk and rowdy in the hallway lasted well into the night. In the morning the room was still hot and the air conditioner ran all night. The bed was so comfy and the staff was very nice. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Kinstersmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

The bathroom is right inside the front door with no door! Just out in the open. The toilet had a sliding door that would not stay closed and no lock. You have to pull drapes from both sides like the window drapes to close the bathroom off from the bedroom to shower. If anyone is with you, they cant go out the front door cause they will go through the bathroom. The staff were all very nice, but if we had been in dallas more that overnite, we would have gone somewhere else. We were there for a Bocelli concert at the American Airline Center and that was convenient to just walk across the street. I will drive to it next time

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank mimi5Louisiana
Clearwater, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

Let me start by stating that I love the W chain. My wife and I went to Dallas for our anniversary and while at dinner decided that we wanted to stay in town. I called the W and booked us a room. I hadn't stayed in the on in Dallas yet, so was looking forward to the experience.
The room was large and well appointed and very comfortable. The view wasn't much to look at - the only rooms with views were smoking rooms. Who still has smoking rooms anyway?
We went down to the lobby bar for a drink and found the service there and value to be quite good. Someone suggested we should go to the Ghostbar.
Big, big mistake. We got to the velvet ropes and were asked if we were on the list even though there was no one in front of us. No, we weren't but because we were hotel guests the cover was $15. The doorman was pretentious and rude. You'd think he was outside the hottest club on Southbeach or Hollywood. Once upstairs, it was a major bust. Oh, sure a great view. They didn't even stock the same premium vodka at bar that they had downstairs. This was on a Friday night and the "crowd" was thin and pretty lame. Drinks were expensive for a measured pour. Bar staff were arrogant. Bouncers were snobby and aloof. There were probably more of them walking around with their earpieces than there were actual patrons. Didn't take too long to decide to leave and then got treated with more rude behavior from the bouncers/door staff. Arrogance defined.
Save your time and money and stay in the lobby bar.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dwalkercpa
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

We booked a night at W Dallas-Victory for an anniversary weekend, along with reservations at Craft (restaurant located at the W). There were two big problems. First, it took four trips to the front desk was before they were able to get the room keys (magnetic cards) to work. The person at the front desk took it as a personal affront, insisting that the "system says the keys work just fine." We were finally able to get him to reprogram the keys (he refused to do so until the fourth (!!) trip to the front desk.

The second big problem was the noise in the hotel. Throughout the night, we could clearly hear people talking in other rooms, Additionally, there were people coming and going ALL night, talking, laughing, drinking in the hallway. We finally gave up at 4:00 a.m. and checked out of the hotel and headed home. Not surprisingly, there were group of boisterous people in the hallway, lobby and even hanging out by the front door, drinking. Not exactly what you would expect from this upscale chain.

On the positive side, their beds are incredibly comfortable and they have an excellent fitness facility (our keys didn't work there, either) and a beautiful swimming pool. The room (we had a "spectacular view king") was adequate in size but not particularly large for a Dallas hotel. Oddly, there are no drawers or shelves for clothing and only four hangars in the closet. The wall safe did not work. The LDC television was fairly small (I've had bigger television in a Hampton Inn) but of good quality. The room was clean but the hallways / elevators lobbies were not.

The view was good but hardly spectacular. Unless you are attending an event at American Airlines Center next door, there is very little to do in the area within walking distance.

On the REALLY positive side, Craft Restaurant is a wonderful experience. Nothing about the meal could have been improved; excellent food, amazing service, good wine list. (We spent a bit over $200 for two people including a bottle of wine and gratuity...worth every penny.) Recommend this restaurant without hesitation; just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TXRoadWarrior
texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2009

I was very disappointed in the W Victory Park. We first had trouble with the parking garage across the street but I was told by the W that they were not affiliated with them so I will try to base my review mainly on the hotel. I had 7 people total in my group for my bachelorette party. We are in our mid 20's to 30's and not too high maintenance. The main reason we stayed at the W was for Ghostbar.

We checked in arould 5pm (check in is at 3pm). I was told over the phone when making the reservation that they would try to get us adjoining rooms. Upon check in I was told that was never a possibility bc of the 2 queen beds we were getting and the layout of the hotel. It would have been nice to have been made aware of that when making the reservation but oh well. Ok so we had seperate rooms on the same floor. I was a little disappointed but ok with that. BUT they didn't have our 2nd room available yet. Again, check in was at 3pm. So we all went upstairs and got in our 1st room. The rooms were just ok. The TV was nice but I wouldn't say they were elegant or above average for the price of the rooms. By 5:45 we still hadn't gotten a call that our 2nd room was ready so I had to call down and check on it myself. They did send someone up with a key for the 2nd room at that point--but I shouldn't have had to call and the room should have been ready in the first place when we checked in, in my opinion!

Later that evening we were going to go to Ghostbar. I was told on the phone that we could check in for our table from inside the hotel. They did have an entrance inside the hotel but when we got there we were told we would have to use the OUTSIDE entrance bc we had table service. Again, miscommunication on the hotels part. So we had to physically leave the hotel, walk around the corner and then go up to Ghostbar. We did have a great time at Ghostbar and really enjoyed ourselves there---thank goodness bc that was the whole reason we were staying at the W.

When we checked out of the W the next morning I put the room charges on my credit card. When I looked at my credit card statement a few days later I noticed extra charges on there. Yep, you guessed it, the W put $45 of movie charges on there that we DID NOT get. When I called and told them this they did handle the matter promptly and told me it would be taken off my credit card. I haven't checked it yet so I hope they do follow through on that part.

Overall, I was really disappointed in their service and the first impression was definitely not a good one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank momo0123
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

My wife and I stayed on Friday the 24th to celebrate getting married. Just a quick, one night stay. The hotel is located in a busy area, with lots of activities/shopping near by. The staff was very polite and prompt and all about 24 years old it seemed. It is a very VERY modern, somewhat snobby hotel. While I can't say anything negative about the place, I must INSIST that you only stay here under the right circumstances. If you are over 35 years old and plan on being asleep by 10PM, do not stay here. If you are traveling with children, under 21..... do not stay here. If you do not like modern style rooms, do not stay here.
Our stay was enjoyable. We chose not to try and venture up to the ghost bar nor did we eat in the restaurants. The room service menu looked pricey, but no surprise there. And the valet service was way over priced at 26 dollars. The garage is right next door, and over night parking is only 10 dollars. With the first 2 hours being free. So you can check in, park, and leave to go somewhere without having to pay parking or valet.

Like I said, we didn't have a bad experience. But not everyone will enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aerainier
houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

I booked 2 nights at the W for family. 2 adults and 4 young adults 18-20 yrs. old. For $269.00 a night - there wasn't even a coffee pot in the room! It was dark - black paint on the walls! Poor lighting - space design was terrible! The room service did not give us fresh towels or replenish the shampoo ,soap etc. Although there was a 42" flat screen - there was little to no good programing to select from. The older adults went to the Ghost Bar for a cocktail - all the seats were reserved - at 9:00pm and there was NO ONE THERE!! We had to stand at the bar for a drink in an empty bar. They said it was reserved for Maverick game goers...the bar was nice but ammenities were poor! The restaurant is very expensive and way too posh for more than one meal. It was $24.00 to valet overnight - those guys were the friendliest employees there! Would never go back!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family