“Barely tolerable”

W Dallas Victory Hotel
Ranked #49 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
“Barely tolerable”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I should preface my review by saying that the W imprint of the Starwood brand is very much not my bag, but even given that my stay was less than satisfactory. I stayed here one night for work. I checked in around 3:45; my room was ready although there was no Starwood Gold upgrade available as the property was completely booked due to a cheerleading competition and Mavs game. My room was a Fantastic Suite, decorated in the usual W style: chairs with hooves for feet, metallic wallpaper, tiara princess throw pillows, etc. There were issues with the room's basic amenities -- the phone's various direct lines to housekeeping, in-room dining, etc. did not work. The fancy plugorama box did not include a lightning cable connector even though the iPhone 5 has been out for a year and a half. The bed was a far cry from the Westin Heavenly Beds -- the mattress was hard and the sheets fairly rough. The oomph-oomph-oomph clientele typical to the W were out in full effect -- when I came back from an event at half past midnight and was walking to my room the door to the room next to mine and two bros clutching beers literally spilled out onto the hallway. Yuck. At checkout my breakfast credit that came with the rate was not applied to my bill until I pointed it out. Again, I realize I am not the target audience for this hotel brand but given the money spent it was an unsatisfactory stay regardless.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Hello,

First, we would like to thank you for your honest review. We can only improve on what we know needs improving.

We truly appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and acknowledge what being a Gold SPG member means. Unfortunately, we cannot upgrade you every time you stay, due to our hotel being sold-out, but we do guarantee triple Starpoints for every $1 spent, 4 PM late check-out, and your choice of a welcome gift with each stay.

I see there were a few obstacles you encountered during your stay, and we do understand a smooth operation, while traveling is imperative; please accept our apologies for any service disruption.

We do value you as a W Dallas guest and SPG member, so please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly, so we can make things right for you, gmdarryl.jett@whotels.com.

Kindest regards,
Darryl Jett, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

These guys define the world of wow. (Full disclosure: I'm a bartender at the W in Austin TX) 3 people to know: Dallas, bartender here, Joe, concierge, and Frank, the W insider. These guys are amazing. I've been here for about 3 hours and they exceed high expectations. I was secretly hoping to find differences that would make "my" hotel better than this location. I can't. NAILED IT here. If you need to know anything, talk to joe. Go to the bar and ask Dallas about a few of the cocktails he created. Try one, you'll have 3 I promise. If you want to know this city, as if you built this city, talk to frank. He knows this city inside and out, and immediately made a connection with me on food and tattoos. Seconds after I entered my room he knocked on the door, gave me some goodies (I.E. headphones that match my iPhone 5c) a few drink tickets, and a personalized card with more details. The guys in the office really knew what they were doing when they asked him to be an insider. I can go on. But won't. You want the best hotel in Dallas? you come here.

They just make you feel like you belong, and that's what's most important to me. Thank you guys so much for everything so far!!!!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for the great review. It seems quite a few talent members made an impact on your stay. We are thrilled you chose W Dallas for your get-away in the Big D! Thank your for your kind words and shout outs to our talent members.

See you again soon,

Cheers,
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My sweetie surprised me with a "staycation" at The W Dallas for Valentine's Day! We love The W as a get away from our hectic work schedule. We booked a beautiful suite and I called ahead to be sure someone would be able to help me decorate the room! I spoke with the concierge Gee and he told me he would be happy to help me! Well let me just say Gee was awesome!! He helped me make the room look even more BEAUTIFUL & AMAZING than it already was! My boyfriend was beyond surprised and loved the set up! We enjoyed every second of our time at the hotel and cant wait for our next "staycation!"

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I feel like the fancier the hotel, the less you get. I was very very sick on this trip and they don’t sell cough medicine or have a little shop for those types of toiletries etc. 3AM coughing all night I should have re-thought the hotel going out and picking some up for me. It would probably be about $40… I was here on business so I don’t spend a great deal of time in the room. Nice, clean room with nice décor. One complaint the glass half doors that these new showers have. Invest in a full door….it’s cold when you move forward to get a towel or move away from the water in general. Loved the shampoo, conditioner and face wash. I must have taken 3 or 4 bottles home.

The restaurant inside the hotel was ok. We had breakfast every morning. Service wasn’t great. The bar on the right side when you walk into the hotel was great. Very big area, a lot of seating and drinks were pretty good. I used the space waiting from my car to the airport. I wasn’t disturbed and they have power outlets along the bench area. Great views of downtown Dallas…one question…is Dallas deserted? I feel like I didn’t see any people or any stores. A couple of hidden restaurants that we went to for lunch. Nothing really to see or do in walking distance. The hotel couldn’t recommend some good BBQ which was super disappointing. The best tips for places to go were from our driver to the airport!

Roof top space is amazing. We had our dinner reception. Not enough food of course but that may be the company I work for and not the hotel. Great views and a really great setup.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Was in Dallas for the first time for a Audi A3 training. I found the W Dallas Victory Hotel to be very accomodating.and comfortable. Everyone from the front desk to restaurant personel were awesome. I felt like the red carpet was rolled out for me. Would highly recommend this hotel if staying in Dallas. I found the hotel to be centrally located to Westend Market, American Airlines Arena and so much more.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank scott s
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Hello Scott,

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your W Dallas experience. Thank you for recommending us to other travelers.

Plano, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I can't say enough about our anniversary stay at the Dallas W Victory Hotel. Every moment from start to finish was wonderful. We were unable to get a way for our anniversary so we decided to stay local and as an SPG member, I immediately thought of the W because of the location. I usually recommend this hotel to friends visiting Dallas, but rarely get to stay myself. We booked a suite and were upgraded to a Cozy Corner Room with an amazing view of the city and balcony to delight in the sights. From the valet to the check-in, the entire staff were wonderful. I should have captured their names, they all deserved to be mentioned for being great ambassadors for the hotel. We dined at Cook Hall and they did not disappoint us. I only wish we had more time to enjoy the spa. I can't wait to go back there again!

Room Tip: City view rooms provide an excellent view of the Dallas skyline!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Happy anniversary and thank you for the great review! We are so happy you thought of us for your special celebration, and pleased we made it memorable.

I think an annual celebration at W Dallas is very fitting! We look forward to having you back very soon.

Cheers,
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have had the pleasure of dealing with one of your employees by the name of Sofia, her customer service skills are great, she has a great personality and has went above and beyond to be helpful, after 2 great experiences , I had to get her name to let you know

Thanks for the great service

• Stayed February 2014
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Welcome traveler,

I can't thank you enough for going out of your way to share your interaction with Sofia. We are grateful to have her on our team, and more than happy to hear she has positively impacted your W Dallas experience multiple times.

We look forward to having you back, and enhancing your trip, once again.