“Second Time's a Charm”

Ranked #43 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Second Time's a Charm”
Reviewed May 21, 2008

A few things have been said in previous reviews about some unfortunate circumstances and I must say that I had experienced some of them during my first stay at the W Dallas. But the place was so suited to my taste that I decided to give them another try and it was well worth the second trip.
As an SPG Platinum member, I was placed both times in a “marvelous suite” and this room has got to be among the best of all the W's I've stayed at (and I've stayed at practically every one in the US). In contrast to the stark and cramped early incarnations of W rooms, this suite was extraordinarily spacious, bright, and airy. The gargantuan two-rooms were furnished with ultra comfy velvety sectionals, funky office chairs, and the usual inviting W signature bed. The living room was so huge that it housed a dining room table large enough to accommodate a wedding banquet. Floor to ceiling windows with sweeping city views and streaming sunshine added to the “WoW” factor. Gadgets are the usual for a swanky ultramodern room including extra large plasma TVs and space-age phones. I found the glass-abundant bath room motif chic and stylish but would have to agree with previous reviewers that the layout leaves little privacy for the occupant and even less to the imagination of roommates and service staff. Best extra-room amenity is the very well kept fitness center with, unlike most hotel gyms, actually enough room, weights, and cardio equipment to support a real exercise routine.
A noticeable improvement the second go-around was the service. Door staff were in abundance but minus the attitude and more forth coming with service. Front desk check-in and out was considerably warmer and more efficient. A couple of minor glitches (phone not working, bottle opener missing) were expeditiously addressed and all the while, a Whatever/Whenever agent kept track of the fixes until issues were resolved. Room service was particularly pleasant and the meal scrumptious.
All in all a fabulous stay at the W-Dallas that I hope I can experience again in the near future.

• Liked — Room, gym, service
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Davis, CA
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Stayed at the W Dallas Victory for a business trip recently and thoroughly enjoyed the property.

All hotel employees were very friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely interested in making sure you had a fine experience - from the valet at the door to check-in and the concierge.

The lobby, while small, is very chic and comfortable and the Living Room bar/lounge is a great place to just relax - have a drink, read the newspaper, get some work done....

I did not eat at the restaurant, Craft, but did receive some helpful advice from the concierge on local hot spots.

While some have criticized the location in the new Victory Park neighborhood I thought it was great - even if a little early on in the development of this area. Yes there is a lot of construction going on but it was not obtrusive in any way to me. And you can easily see the potential that will eventually exist here. It was also very convenient to just about every other neighborhood in Dallas I thought. AA arena is literally right across the street.

Room was spotless and very comfortable - if you are enjoy a more traditional vibe or decor this is probably not the hotel for you. But I really liked the contemporary yet well thought out design of the room. They are not like some trendy hotel rooms that are designed to be cool looking but are ridiculously impractical.
The rain shower head was fantastic!

Didn't use pool but the pool deck looks great on the 16th floor.
Ghostbar was packed following a Stars hockey game - the balcony is a great place to have a drink and enjoy the view of the Dallas skyline.

I would definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel to friends I know would appreciate the vibe. Once again if you are into a more traditonal luxury hotel the W is probably not for you. But if you want contemporary and thoughtful design, business convenience, and a generally hip destination this hotel fits the bill!

• Liked — Room was very comfortable
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Salisbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2008

This is one of the finer W's in the Starwood fleet. It is in the center of Victory Park where you will find a number of fine restraurants and next to the AA Center where the Mavericks, Stars and top entertainers perform.
The Staff at the W is very accomodating, they take the time to know you and your name. Every bartender, valet and chambermaid was extremely helpful and greeted you with a smile.
This is a great stay if you are in the Dallas Area.

• Liked — The location, it is in the newest part of the city and very upbeat.
  • Disliked — Construction around the hotel. there are a number of new buildings be contructed
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Not that hip for a W Hotel. Rooms just ok, with views of a highway under construction. Alot of construction in this area, and nothing special except you are smack across the street from AA Center.

Ghost Bar on the roof was very tame for a Thursday night, and one would have expected that since the Mav's game across the street had just finished there would be some activity here, NOT.

Have stayed at Crescent Court, Mansion on Turtle Creek and Hotel Zaza. Crescent Court the best out of them all based on hotel experience, location and food choices... Will try Ritz next time around, but so far Crescent Court the best hotel in Dallas in my opinion.

dallas
Reviewed May 1, 2008

My husband I and stayed a night for our 8th Wedding Anniversary, we used cash and points so the cost $90.00 for a wonderful room. We checked in around 3:45 excited to be in our room, but was not ready. We were greeted with champagne to toast our day though which was nice. The room was not what I expected; very cold and dark was not prepared for the open concept bathroom that awaited us as well. Also you do not have a coffee pot in the rooms you have to request one to be brought up to you, needless to say ours was broken and coffee was everywhere.

BUT the story does not end, a few days later I got an online survey to fill out asking about our stay, I was honest and told what our experience was like AND surprisingly I got an email shortly after expressing concern from the W on our hotel stay. We were offered the WOW suite for a very small amount of money and were trying it again, so I will post after we stay again to see if the service and the rooms get better with pictures.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shoppergurl
Seattle
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Showed up on a Tuesday night after a 5 hour flight. When I showed up the front desk staff were busy flirting with girls going to the Ghost Bar.

Once they did finally acknowledge me, the front desk guy told me even though they had a reservation and card on file for the past week, they gave my room away to "Someone who wanted to extend thier stay". As an apology they sent me to a low rent hotel down the street that normally goes for 1/3 the price and was a step up from a Holiday Inn.

When I asked why someone who obviously planned in advance and made reservation would be cast aside in favor of a last minute extension - the front desk guy shrugged and said it was a variety of factors that lead to the move. But refused to provide any of the factors.

Net: If you want to ACTUALLY have a room when you arrive - don't go to the W HOTEL.

2 Thank Vortechx
Atlanta
Reviewed April 24, 2008

I stayed at the W to treat myself to a lovely downtown hotel with lots of amenities. The rooms and public areas looked like they were assembled with cheap construction and amenities. This is all subdued by the trendy look and lack of lighting. The air conditioning was inadequate. I am a frequent business traveler and Starwood platinum guest. There are no amenities for established Starwood clients. My room was simple with a view of roads, apartments and construction. The Bliss toiletries were nice, but actually looked like they had been used by someone else prior to placement in my room. I made an appointment for a pedicure and was told that I would be charged even if I cancelled. I arrived at my appointment about 10 minutes early. Turned out there was one manicurist/pedicurist on duty. He was busy with another client and was 45 minutes late for my appointment. The only thing luxurious about this hotel is the pricing.

Stayed April 2008