“Fantastic Hotel in a great location for a weekend getaway”

W Dallas Victory Hotel
Ranked #52 of 201 Hotels in Dallas
Dallas, Texas
“Fantastic Hotel in a great location for a weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We did a weekend getaway without kids to celebrate our anniversary and could not have chosen a better hotel than the W. We live in the suburbs and had the pleasure of being in the city center of Dallas by staying at the W. The W is located across from the AA center where the Mavericks play. It is a short way from the Victory DART station and the south entry point of the Katy Trail. Both the DART stop and Katy Trail are all you need to get around. I would leave your car parked unless you plan to move around outside of Dallas proper.

A 50 min leisurely walk along the Katy Trail will take you to West Village where you can have good eats or watch a movie at the Magnolia. You can also hop on a DART train to get you there. There are great restaurants all within walking distance of the W. I highly recommend the House of Blues.

The W has a great pool on the 16th floor. If you prefer to avoid crowds, go in the morning of after 7P when the bar is closed. The gym on the 17th floor is large and has everything you'll need for a good workout and has a great view of the city.

The only thing I could find wrong with the hotel was the amount of time it took for the elevator to come around.

Can't wait to go back again for a longer visit.

Room Tip: There are city view and highway view rooms. The city view ones are better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have attended the free PIYO (pilates/yoga) course at the W several times now. The instructor, Brittani is energetic and motivating. The views of downtown Dallas is spectacular from the wet deck. The hotel itself is always very clean and swanky. The staff is also very courteous and helpful. I enjoy the fact that the W is giving back to the community by offering these free work out classes. I plan on continuing to attend these classes and hopefully I will be able to get some of my friends to wake up early enough to join in. Thanks! ~ Rosa

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I stayed at the W Dallas a couple of times in the past. But I actually attend the Saturday morning Piyo class on the wetdeck. It was my first time attending and I loved it! Staff was very nice and courteous. Management and the instructor Brittani was welcoming and down to earth. Definitely coming every Saturday this summer for more Piyo and events with my friends!!

• Stayed May 2013
GMDarrylJett, General Manager at W Dallas Victory Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi Etay0711,

I am glad to hear you have enjoyed Piyo on the WET Deck. We couldn't keep our amazing view of Downtown Dallas to ourselves, so we had to open it up for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter for information on all our other events!

Thanks,
Darryl Jett, General Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back last year and it was a good hotel! It was my first time in Dallas and Its location was key in my decision to stay there! We went to a mavs game which the area was across the street literally! The pool is nice but when I was there last year it was still too cold to go in.. But nice views!! Overall a good stay!

• Stayed June 2012
Guildford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Nothing is too much trouble at Hotel W Dallas Victory. Whatever, whenever is definitely true ! I had a great 3 day stay in a fantastic suite. It sure did live up to its name. Utterly clean, very very comfortable bed and the bathroom is bliss! Bliss products, long deep bath , very high rainfall shower .. When you are done lots of lovely soft towels and bliss body butter!

The food at Cook Hall is great. Breakfast is extensive and the Irish oatmeal is served with a smile. There is a lovely lady at breakfast who is friendly and attentive. Dinner is great, Ramsey is lovely and is keen to ensure you have a full glass and are happy with your food !

It's a great hotel and you won't be disappointed. My first W experience.. Wonderful, why not try yourself.

Room Tip: Fantastic Suite is very comfortable with a huge desk and connectivity for those who have work to do...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We checked in for an overnight stay in May. The valet, check-in and bellhop Chris who was super friendly. Great check-in experience.

We ate lunch at Cook Hall which had good food and nice cocktails. We had spa appointments on a Saturday at 5pm. Upon checking in to the spa recption it sounded like Pit Bull was hosting a pool party next door. The pool noise ruined the spa waiting room ambiance. They should put some spa music on or a fountain in there to drown out the sound. The spa treatments were great and the technicians did a great job on the massages and facials we had.

The room was nice and very quiet overnight. To get to the elevators you need to show a room key. The mattress sagged horribly which made for a very uncomfortable night's sleep. Room service was prompt in the morning and they brought us everything we asked for: coffee, red bull.

I will say, if you are a smoker and you want to smoke late at night the pool area is closed so you have to wade through the lobby stuffed with hipsters and immature party people just to have a cigarette. W really should have a GUEST ONLY area to have a cigarette or at least keep the pool patio open so you don't have to go through that type of scene. I was surprised how crowded the lobby and bar were on a Saturday night, hotels guests pretty much get no priority.

I asked for change from the bar in the morning (for the valet) and they could not help me. So I guess...whatever whenever only applies if you don't need change.

Overall most of the service was good. I think I would recommend staying elswehere unless you are specifically looking for a party scene.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I had planned for a month to spend our Anniversary/Birthday stay-cation at the W across town. It was one of the only Dallas hotels we hadn't stayed in yet. We arrived and everyone was incredibly kind, however we were very disappointed in the lackluster room we were given. I've seen W Hotel rooms before and these are just not up to par. In addition, my husband and I have stayed at Aloft hotels (a sub par version of a W Hotel) and the rooms are just as nice but a third of the cost.

One other note - if you are wanting to lay out at the pool at the W Hotel - don't fantasize! Even though it sounds rewarding to sip cocktails on the 16th floor overlooking downtown - there isn't a single drop of sun after 10am due to the covering. If it isn't above 90 degrees outside and windy - it will be a very uncomfortable pool experience.

At the end of the day -we ended up checking out and going to Turtle Creek Mansion. I have to say, HOWEVER, that Chris, the GM at W Hotel let us out of room and promised us a wonderful stay if we come back sometime (when we don't want to count on the pool). He kindly gave us a refund for our room and we went over to the Mansion and spent the day at the pool.

We went back to the W that night for dinner at Cook Hall and the food is outstanding.

Not my favorite hotel in Dallas but when you're treated well - it gives you pause to go back and try again someday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple