“Overall, a Solid Hotel”

W Dallas Victory Hotel
Ranked #47 of 206 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed November 2, 2007

I have stayed at the W Hotel in Dallas two times in the last few months, both times for one night while traveling on business.

All in all, I have been pleased with my two stays and will likely return to this hotel the next time I travel to Dallas for work.

The Positives:
1. Rooms. They are very comfortable and have a cool feeling to them. Both rooms I've stayed in had 32 in LCD TVs with plenty of channels, very comfortable beds and pillows, and decent bathroom areas.

2. Fitness Center. One of the better hotel gyms I have used. They have a full compliment of weight machines, dumbells/benches, and cardio equipment. All of the equipment is very new (along with the hotel itself) and is in good working condition. If you like to work out, you won't be disappointed.

3. Service. Both times I checked in, it was very quick and painless. One touch that I won't soon forget was that they provide you with a card to write down your last name and flight record locater. They will then check you in for your flight and deliver a printed boarding pass to your room. So simple, yet very helpful. A nice little touch that went a long way. Maybe other hotels are doing this, but this was the first time I have come across it.

The Negatives:
1. Price. As other reviewers have noted, the prices are a little steep. Even though I was pleased with both of my stays, I would probably not stay here if i was paying out of my own pocket. I believe you can find better values in the Dallas area.

2. Location. This depends on a few things. If you are going to an event at the AA center, it could not be any more convenient. It's directly across the street. If you're not attending an event at the AA center, but there is one going on, traffic can get a little hectic in the area. Also, the first time I stayed there, i arrived at 8:45 PM. By the time I was ready to have dinner (just after 9:00), my options were very limited as many places had already closed (this was a Thursday night). If it's not a game night at the AA center, it is a little lonely in the area after 9:00 PM.

3. Showers. Two things I don't like about the showers. One, there's no door or curtain on them, so if you have the air conditioning on in the room, the opening lets that cool air into the shower. Two, the shower heads are the rain heads that provide a lot of water, but no concentrated stream. I might be in the minority, but I'm not a fan of this style.

4. A little too cool. This one depends on who you ask. It is a W and I guess this is how it's supposed to be. I'm a relatively young guy (33), but to me, this place comes across as trying too hard to be cool. Things such as putting you on the guest list to get into the Ghost Bar and making it seem like it's a huge deal, very mirrored and dark hallways and elevator banks that can be a little disorienting, showers without a door (see above) are all touches that some people might appreciate and others just be annoyed by. I'm somewhere in the middle.

In summary, my two stays have been very enjoyable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel. Just know, this is a W and you get all that goes along with that.

1  Thank Office_Bound

Reviewed October 23, 2007

I stay in a lot of Starwoods Hotels because I think they have one of the best rewards programs. I had to travel to Dallas so I decided to try the W Dallas-Victory. This hotel was fantastic, fun, energetic and very cool.

POSITIVES:

1. The bed: This is a given in all Ws which all, I believe, use the "Hevenly Bed." I love this bed, it is pillowed topped and has nice linens and a huge (and heavy) down comforter. It is so comfortable. I was so impressed with this bed the first time I stayed at a W in 2002 that I actually bought one. Its nice to have the same bed in the hotel that I enjoy every night at home.

2. The bar/lobby. Its large and very inviting. Its also very fun, lots of cozy couch and seats to sit in and enjoy the music. Very fun and enegetic area. See pictures. I also heard that the rooftop bar called the Ghost Bar is AMAZING but I was there on business and had to be up early to catch a flight so I did not check it out.

3. The pool: Its outside on the 16th floor with amazing views of the city. It has cool chairs to lounge in and is decorated in a very fashionable way. See pictures. Also has a small bar that is lots of fun with a friendly bar staff and a really nice place to hang and enjoy a drink.

4. Concierge: The staff at the W's conciege desk (which I believbe is call Whereever/Whenever) was wonderful. They helped me find a nearby restaurant for great BBQ, they recommended that I go see the Sixth Floor Museum at the TExas Book Depository (a museum about the JFK assassination, which was FANTANSTIC) and printed movie listing and directioons to the theather so I could see a movie that evening. I rarely comment on staff in my reviews but the two ladies who sat at the concierge desk really went out of there way.

5. Room: Very large and nice furniture, but oddly laid out, see below comment and pictures.

NEUTRALS:

1. Price. I paid $299/night booked through spg.com. While this is a little on the high side I felt it was worth it.

2. Room: The color scheme and layout of the room was a tad bizarre. The walls of the room were painted black (or extremely dark blue) which made the room feel dark. Also (besides the tolliet) the bathroom is not seperated from the bedroom. Its hard to explain but you can sit on the bed and see the shower and sink. See pictures. Also the shower has no shower door to close, you simply walk behind a large piece of glass and shower which doesn't keep the steam in.

NEGATIVES:

1. The elevators were often slow.

2. The parking at the hotel was $24, which seems high.

3. The hallways leading to your room are extremely dark and although done so purposefully (to add to the club-like feel of the hotel), I would prefer a well-lit, bright, airry and open hallway outside the rooms.

3  Thank thekld
Reviewed October 18, 2007

I can not tell you how impressed I was with the level of service this hotel and its staff exhibited during my unexpected one night stay. My flight into Chicago was seriously delayed and having passed the W numerous times through Dallas, I thought "Why not?" I have always love the W Hotel's themes and accomodations. I even got married at one!

While our bags continued on to Chicago, we checked in, and immediately upon explaining our situation to the front desk, we had toothpaste, toothbrushes, hair brushes, a comb, deodorant, and more brought immediately to our room. Not to mention a serious upgrade to a corner room that overlooks the AA Center and downtown Dallas. (a Junior Suite) They even gave us complimentary W T-Shirts to sleep in. They also arranged for their car service (which works from 6-9 PM within a 3 or so mile radius) to come pick us up and take us to Target for extras.

The pool (roof) is amazing. Sort of like an infinity pool. Workout room very spacious and entire hotel CLEAN. The Ghost Bar is atop this large complex which also includes residences.

Having been to 3 other W's and numerous Starwoods, I must say, so far this is my favorite!

They also have a great AAA rate so ask if you are a member.

Again, all I can say is WOW to the W!

Reviewed October 15, 2007

This hotel is just bland. It is nice place, but there is nothing real signature about it as I have come to expect from W hotels. Staff are ok. Building is a tall high rise in Dallas; that's it. It's all very nice, but it doesn't really feel like a W experience because there is nothing really memorable about the experience (other than the truffle mac n cheese from service). You just don't really feel anything "neat" about staying here.... you just several hundred a night to stay here and it is kind of blah. Oh and the Dallas crowd just sucks; it is like a real bad version of West LA. We have gotten spoiled by much cooler W's around the country and world.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2007

The hotel itself is nice, but very expensive for what it is. Our concierge was very nice and helpful, and the room was awesome. We stayed there because of how close it is to the American Airlines Center, and that was great.

What wasn't great was the ridiculous price I had to pay for Valet, and the fact that the person who took my car when we showed up told me a completely different price from what I ended up paying. The wait for our car was also suspect, especially when someone with a more expensive car shows up. And the attitude we got from security on a Saturday night when we tried to valet our car to get to our room was also uncalled for. It also doesn't help that the valet company the hotel uses is an independent company unaffiliated with the hotel.

Overall, our stay was pleasant. The staff were very helpful and nice, and we enjoyed our room.

Stayed: April 2007
Reviewed September 21, 2007

I have stayed at a number of W hotels with widely variable experiences. The W Dallas is definitely on the better end of the spectrum.

The hotel is relatively new, very clean and had well-furnished and designed rooms. There were plenty of outlets, a large flat-screen TV and internet that worked as promised. Room service was prompt and accurately delivered (note - why is it normally so difficult to get proper ice coffee in the South?).

The bed is very comfortable and even though I was on a high floor (close to the top floor club) I had no problems with noise. The bathrooms are also well furnished.

Most surprising for a W was that I experienced excellent service. Faxes and car valet were promptly delivered and wakeup calls/room service occurred when scheduled. Further, the receptionist offered an upgrade based on my Gold SPG status.

The Craft restaurant downstairs was excellent and the club was busy (this on a Tuesday night).

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank rsp1
Reviewed September 16, 2007

This W Hotel is even more pretentious and geared towards 20 year olds then the slightly more sophisticated W in San Francisco or Chicago that's I've been to.

The pool is tiny and a huge disappointment, and on the day we were there it was a mixture of pounding techno music mixed with random kids splashing around with their parents and the staff allowing them to take over the pool. (I'm amazed the W allows kids to run around there)

The Ghostbar: super trendy filled with pretentious Dallas people. Drinks on my tab and friends' tabs were inaccurate.

Everything at this hotel is overpriced for what you get. The bed was o.k. but not great, and the bedding looked old.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends