“Baroque style architecture” 4 of 5 bubbles

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Baroque style architecture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Listed on the National Register for Historic Places, McFarlin Memorial Auditorium is the site for many events at Southern Methodist University such as commencement, graduation, the renowned Willis M. Tate Lecture Series, and other student programs. The Auditorium is also used to showcase international dance companies, famous vocalists and comedians, and nationally celebrated bands.

Opened in 1926, the Auditorium has evolved over time as "a place where we can have our friends from the community and elsewhere together on great occasions." Financing was secured by a generous donation from devout Methodist and San Antonio businessman Robert M. McFarlin. One of the ten SMU buildings listed on the National Historic Register, McFarlin is known as one of the jewels among the SMU campus.

Visited November 2013

Coppell, Texas
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Beautiful architecture-Uncomfy seating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

We attended a performance of The Moscow Ballet's presentation of "The Nutcracker" on Sunday, 11/17. The performance itself was beautifully done; costumes, backdrops, and skills of the dance troupe were fantastic!

The venue itself is vintage, which can be a double-edged sword.

The Good-being inside this 1924 auditorium is like stepping back in time. The architecture details are endless, and they are lovely to behold. The acoustics for the performance were fine; we had no issues hearing the pre-recorded music; it sounded wonderful. The ushers were friendly and extremely helpful.

The Imperfect-this venue was built back when people were much shorter, and comfort in an auditorium setting was not a concern. For children and anyone 5'2" or under, you should be just fine. However for those of us who are tall, the seating leaves much to be desired. Seats are VERY LOW to the floor, and once seated, my husband and I each had to sit with our knees pressed against the seats in front of us. It was painful and made for an unpleasant distraction during the show. I am 5'8" and my husband is 5'10", so we aren't gargantuan giants nor are we plus-sized people, but we truly had NO leg room whatsoever. We had purchased seats in the upper balcony, but the pitch up there is terrible. When my niece leaned forward to try and peer over the safety bar in front of us, the woman behind us asked her to sit back because she was unable to see the dancers. We asked an usher if we could move to empty seats in the lower balcony, and thankfully he allowed it. Our view was much better, but as mentioned, the seat comfort level was terrible. I was actually sore and stiff the following day from being crammed into my seat.

Based upon the discomfort level alone, I won't be seeking to attend future shows at this venue unless we purchase seats on the floor level, although I've sat in that area before and it leaves much to be desired, too. Tickets to most events are simply too costly to compromise comfort level when attending the event--at least they are for my budget. I am hopeful that the decision-makers at SMU find funds to upgrade their seating, so that this venue can be made as comfortable as it is beautiful.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank JulieJ0122
Orlando, Florida
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“Snow White”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Was awesome. I had a great seat in Row A. The Ballet was really entertaining. The show price and fees were very affordable and I totally enjoyed the show.

Visited April 2013
Dallas, Texas
176 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 288 helpful votes
“SMU's McFarlin Auditorium”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Parking is really difficult. It's an older building, but pretty good for lectures and the venues the school has there.

Visited November 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Norah Jones concert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful venue with great acoustics. Gorgeous decor. Parking is a bit of a challenge on this busy campus. Really enjoyed the evening.

Been to McFarlin Auditorium? Share your experiences!