“School field trip.”

Ranked #31 of 252 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Dallas Holocaust Museum/Center for Education and Tolerance offers a core exhibit that exposes three key events that occurred on "One Day During the Holocaust". A special travelling exhibit, video graphed eyewitness testimonies of survivors, and artifacts offer visitors a well-rounded understanding of this horrific part of world history. Visitors leave the Museum with answers to the question, how could this happen? Due to the somber topic and graphic historical photographs in the exhibits, the Museum is not recommended for children under the age of 10. However, parents should note that this Museum hosts more than 30,000 school children each year. The audio guided tour teaches the differences between bystander and Upstander behavior and the value of choices.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The students read "Number the Stars" then followed with a field trip here. The subject matter can be very heavy for 6th graders and usually a holocaust survivor talks to the audience about their actual experiences. The gentleman who spoke to our group was very good with the younger students and he was an exceptional speaker.

1  Thank nola2tx
"eye opening"
"world history"
"school groups"

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is my first tour of any museum related to the Holocaust. I was very curious and felt I had very limited knowledge. It was so overwhelming but very educating. The front desk gives you a small radio device. Most archives & pictures are assigned a number and you enter the number when you want to know more information about it. The device plays a recording about an item you are interested in. There were videos playing in different areas. Towards the end of the tour, we sat in a theater room watching and listening to the stories from the concentration camp survivors. It was very sad and had to understand how much hate one can have towards another human being. The tour says it can last 30mins but if you really want the entire experience, take as long as you need. We stayed around 2 hours. Before we left, we noticed an older gentleman in the lobby sitting behind books. The name on the books looked familiar to some of the stories I was reading about on the tour. It was the "real" Mike Jacobs. He was a survivor and the founder of the museum. I was so honored to meet him. He was very frail but nice. I purchased his book and he signed it for me.
I will never forget how I felt in the presence of such a strong willed Holocaust survivor. This is definitely a must see tour.

1  Thank KAN87WIC
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I enjoyed the visit to the museum...it was a true eye opener and you will end up tearing up throughout the museum. I don't know if I would take children younger than high school age, depending on how well your child would handle death and pictures of starving people, etc. I took my teenagers and I felt that my children were very shocked that humans would treat each other badly.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

A thought provoking view of one of history's most tragic events. Very moving experience with illuminating displays, personal artifacts, letters and more that come together to tell the story of the Holocaust.