“Impeccable Old School Dining”
Review of The French Room - CLOSED

The French Room
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Dallas
Cross street: Akard
Transit: DART and DART Light Rail (Akard Street Station)
Description: Editors at Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast Traveler , and Fodor's have consistently included The French Room on their annual lists of superlative restaurants. The Zagat Survey of America's Top Restaurants ranks the dining room No. 1 for food, decor, and service, and it's only one of nine restaurants in the United States to have achieved a near-perfect food score. Texas Monthly and D Magazine list The French Room among the best restaurants in Dallas. It is now the only dining room in Texas to hold the AAA Five Diamond Award.
Provo, Utah
“Impeccable Old School Dining”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Thankfully, there are still a few old school dining rooms in the world that understand the art of fine dining and service. The French Room is one of them. From start to finish, everything was beautifully and thoughtfully executed. My captain was Francisco, who has worked in the dining room for 30 years. I highly recommend that you ask for him by name.

I went with Francisco’s recommendations... The Jumbo Lump Crab Cake with lemon grass lobster sauce and tomato/mango jams. Excellent. Nice to have a crab cake that is mostly crab. Then, I went with the Black Angus Beef Tenderloin with bacon truffle potato terrine and sauce Bordelaise. Simply. Straightforward. Equally nice. Perfectly prepared. And of course, the Grand Marnier Soufflé—their signature dessert.

Don’t pay attention to the cry babies in the other reviews below who don’t want to put on a jacket to dine here. Gimme a break. I didn’t wear a tie, but I was happy to wear a jacket. Most of the people in the dining room appeared to be celebrating special occasions and were well dressed. Refreshing, actually.

Pretty reasonably priced too... Perhaps because it is in a hotel. Enjoy!

• Visited September 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Jack,

It is a pleasure to read your glowing review of The French Room.

Your experience mirrors thousands of others, and we appreciate your putting it into words that perfectly describe it.

Thank you, too, for understanding that dining at this level does require appropriate dress - out of respect and consideration for one and all.

We hope you will come back soon.

With kindest regards,

Mexico City, Mexico
“AWESOME”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our experience was really above satisfactory. First of all you have to be aware is a 1st class restaurant, so if you don´t like all that comes with it, you should not go. But if you love a great meal in which every detail is being take care of, you should definitely go to the french room. Every single dish was a master piece. Our capitain was Paco, whom I wiill personally give 5 stars, he explained us every dish, took care of us and all our needs. I highly recommend this great restaurant.

1 Thank laguayava
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your high praise and recommendation. We are delighted that you love The French Room.

Warmest regards,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“They can't have salted 100's of outstanding reviews...”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

but mine is sure diifferent from the ones I read on TripAdvisor. We met 6 other friends in the bar before dinner. The bartender (there was no other waitperson) never came over to get our drink orders, so we each had to schlep our own drinks back to our table. I left him no tip at all. Now to the restaurant. The reception area is dark and foreboding. At least a light behind the hostess station would be a step toward a friendly reception. After we were seated, our very stressed-out waiter told us about all of today's specials and then asked to take our order! We had not even been offered a wine list ! Finally I asked for one. Each course of the 3 course menu ($80) was cold, although they were not all intended to be. My husband had lobster for an appetizer ($10 more), rack of lamb ($10 more) and a Grand Marnier souffle ($5 more). I had seared fois gras ($10 more - I lost my head as its not offered in CA, but I really am concerned about animal rights and will do better in the future), fish that was not at all flaky, warm or tasty and a mint dessert. My husband ordered a $75 bottle of average wine (prices are sky high). Because we were a large table, our waiter added a 20% tip ($50+) on top of the food and tax and our final bill for the two of us came to $356. I would say that the dining scene in Dallas is fun and exciting and we could have had at least 3 good meals at restaurants that offer snappy service and tasty food. I love French food and I KNOW this was not it.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank JoAnne725
Dear Guest,

You have given us much to ponder.

Thank you for caring enough to share your opinion. We appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Very sincerely,

Dallas, Texas
“Always the Best Restaurant in Dallas”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Outstanding, delicious, inventive food. Astonishingly beautiful setting. Well-dressed, well-behaved patrons--go elsewhere if you watch TV while you eat (we'll both be happier). We enjoyed the tasting menu with wine pairings and appreciated the interaction with the superb sommelier. Gracious, attentive service. Quiet, so perfect for conversation. Wonderful for special occasions, but going to the French Room is an occasion in itself. Reliably, in a good way, the best restaurant in a town full of great places to eat.

• Visited September 2013
DavidDavis, Director of Public Relations at The French Room, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are most grateful for your kind and gracious review. Our staff is so pleased that we continue to earn your highest praise.

Thank you for sharing your appreciation for fine dining.

With best regards,

Dallas, Texas
“Our first time was a charm”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently had some friends fly in from Beverly Hills and they stayed at the Adolphus Hotel. We would have never gone to the French Room had they not stayed there. Boy am I glad they did! They also treated us to this 5 star meal, so it was nice on our pocket too. I had the house smoked salmon to start and my husband had the butter poached lobster. Both out of this world! Our friends had the fo gra ( not sure if I spelled that right), it's liver from a duck I think, not something I'd order. I guess it's a delicacy, not so much my thing. I had the seabass for dinner and my husband had the rack of lamb. Service was incredible from the moment we walked through the door. There was not a moment where we were low on bread, water, drinks, wine. They were truly wanting us to have a great time. I wish this was a place we could go to regularly, but then I'd probably have to come out of retirement. What a great find for my friends. Still dreaming about the seabass. mmmmmm.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rebecca A
Dear Rebecca,

What a delightful review!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with other travelers. What you describe is the true French Room dining experience.

We hope you will return again soon.

Warmest regards,