“Excellent Steak Fantastic service”

Dunston's Steakhouse on Lovers Lane
Ranked #573 of 3,689 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since 1969, the Lovers Lane location is a true throwback to it's big brother on Harry Hines Blvd (set.1955). This neighborhood restaurant and bar is famous for mesquite grilled steaks, chops, quail, chicken and seafood all cooked on open pits in the dining room. Dunston's garden fresh salad bar is a fan favorite for generations of Dallasites. Locals and out-of-towners alike, have come to know Dunston's as an "old school" Dallas institution.
Reviewed August 29, 2013

14 Oz Bone In Ribeye Prime Quality $25 With Salad Bar And Veggie
Went With A Large Crowd The Treatment Was fantastic

1  Thank Tacoma236

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I patronize the other Dunston’s store when it’s convenient, and because I like it. I’d always heard about the family having another store over on Lovers, and I finally got a chance to give them a try. The front door is blocked by scaffolding, and a huge updating project, but the rest of the place is trying to move on as if nothing is different.

I came in the back door, and it was a little confusing trying to figure out what to do in order to be seated. Once our hostess had put us in a table, our server came with deliberate speed. We ordered 5oz Fillet Mignon’s, a trip to the salad bar, and side items. Their salad bar had many things to choose from, and did not have a feeling of “cheap.” Their daily special was fresh corn cut off the cob, and sautéed to perfection, and it was exquisite.

Dunston’s signature is that they cook over mesquite wood, inside the dining room, in custom made fire pits. The mesquite does give the meat a unique flavor, which is very good. My meat was cooked to perfection, and tender and juicy – more so than I expect from this cut of meat. The meal was served with a toast made from what looked like French bread, and it too was very good.

I have always admired Gene Dunston, who was age 81 the last time I knew, out there on the floor with his servers working right beside them. Nothing gets past Gene, as he has been in this business since 1955, and the customer contact is crucially important. He serves Dallas Cowboys, and airline CEO’s and all other kinds of brass. I didn’t see anyone in this location that clearly is calling the shots, but the place was running well.

Would I go back? Oh yes, if I’m in that neighborhood. It’s in the high rent district, and I just don’t have a need to be over there very often. But, the food was as good as I expected, the prices were very reasonable, and the service prompt and courteous. I’m much more likely to visit the other store, which has a different personality, and operates differently.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Long Time Local Steakhouse. Harry Hines location is original. Lovers Lane has the same decor from the 1960's! Open grill so you can watch them cook your steak. Need to have reservations on weekends. Lots of weekly repeat customers. Good salad bar. Solid steak entrees with variety of sides. Some interesting specials like quail. Can have a nice steak dinner with sides and salad for under $20.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Eatting at Dunstans is like going to your very favorite restaurant with family or friends and knowing whats on the menu. Food is consistent; salad bar is generous; wait staff are delightful! If you are a regular, you will know to ask for a table in the "back room".

Reviewed March 2, 2013

First time at this location was tonight. Filet I got was OK, but dry. Baked potato was hours old. Friend had the t bone, and said it was the toughest one he'd ever eaten anywhere. Service could have been better. Other location on Harry Hines is much better.