“Not What It Used to Be”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I've been dining at Mercado Juarez in Dallas for over 25 years so on a recent trip back to Dallas I decided to take my 11 year old son there for dinner. The first thing I noticed was that some of my all time favorite dishes were no longer on the menu. Ther restaurant wasn't packed with diners like it used to be but the food was still very tasty and well prepared. The staff was friendly but didn't make regular visits back to our table to check on us. I'm sure I'll always stop in to Mercado Jaurez when I'm in town but I'd really appreciate it if they put some of their original items back on the menu.

There are newer reviews for Mercado Juarez Restaurant

Reviewed March 17, 2010

Better than average Tex-Mex. Best in the general area. This applies to the one on Northwest Highway. Don't waste your time with the one in Arlington.

Reviewed August 12, 2009

If you consider yourself a Tex-Mex afficianado, you owe it to yourself to try Mercado Juarez at least once. Even though it is a large place, it can be quite difficult to get into during peak hours, so I recommend going a little early or later. The neighborhood is a little seedy and the parking can be dicey (they have a lot, but it is pretty small), but the food and service is well worth it. I have never ordered anything that was not top notch. A fun place to go with a large group, especially for a birthday or other special occasion. Try it - you'll like it!

1  Thank Norman_Sooner
Reviewed July 17, 2009

They have no security and our car was broken into and a laptop stolen. Our family for the past 5 years has met there once a month for drinks and good food. We usually spend 150 dollars at Mercados but the cost is now too high. I broad daylight literally in front of the place one of our cars was broken into and a laptop stolen. When we go into Mercados they seem to know nothing, no security cameras, nothing. And the police say the crime in the area and they won't even come out to investigate.

1  Thank CosmoRobbed
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Mercado Juarez and El Fenix are my two favorite Tex-Mex restaurants in Dallas, but if I had to pick one I would go with Mercado Juarez. This is traditional Tex-Mex where you pay at the cashier on your way out the door and they sell gum and pralines at the cashier. The food is excellent. The salsa is not too spicy, but it has a very good flavor and is served warm. They make home-made flour and corn tortillas which are among the best I have ever had. They even have cabrito available after 5:00pm.