“Good service, Good ambiance, Food is blah”

Hattie's Restaurant
Ranked #75 of 3,656 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Really nice setting in Bishop's Art District. Southern elegance. Very good staff. Several items on the menu attracted my attention. I could not decide between the pulled pork and the fried chicken. The water recommended the pulled pork with onion rings. My wife ordered the BLT - with fried green tomato and pimento cheese. Both of us were disappointed with the food. No presentation. My pulled pork lacked flavor. The onion rings were small - nothing special. My wife said the BLT was average. There are too many better restaurants to return to Hattie's.

1  Thank Richard M

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My son came from Charleston to meet us in Dallas, and was somewhat disdainful of our choice of seafood one night and lowcountry cuisine the next. The seafood turned out to be only a little above average, but our dinner at Hattie's was truly excellent, and compared very favorable with the finer dining establishments in Charleston itself, which I consider to be high praise. My wife had the lamb rack, and I had the mac and cheese crusted filet. Her lamb was perfectly cooked and was more than she could eat. She thought the spoonbread needed a little something (she grew up in Buffalo NY) but I thought it was like the spoonbread I grew up with in Charleston. The wilted mustard greens were perfect. The mac and cheese crust on the filet had a little spice heat to it, but not overpowering, and the meat was perfectly cooked. Other diners in our party had the quail and the pulled pork, and both reported those as wonderful. The fried green tomatoes were restaurant standard and done very well. By restaurant standard, I mean that like most restaurants Hattie's cooked them with more of a crust, while I grew up with just the corn meal dredged variety. For dessert we shared a single order of the fried fruit pie (apple-raisin that evening) with coconut ice cream, and both the pie and the ice cream were superb. The wind list is not extensive, but is very good and reasonably priced by restaurant standards. I wish I could remember the name of our server, because he was one of the best we have had in a restaurant outside of our home town in quite some time, with just the right blend of friendliness and efficiency.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Dined at Hattie's before the Eagles concert on October 11. The food and service were wonderful. The entrees for our party of four were shrimp, catfish, chicken, and quail. We also had the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer, and we split the mac and cheese as a side dish. Everything was delicious and well prepared.

Hattie's is located in the Bishop Arts District - an area with several interesting shops and restaurants. Parking can be a challenge, but fortunately, valet service is available. For the $5.00 fee plus tip, it's well worth it.

This was not the restaurant's fault, but we were seated next to an obnoxious party of 8 football fans who were in town for the Texas-0U game. They were drunk and loud - even singing at one point. They spoiled the atmosphere of this nice restaurant. My rating of "poor" reflects this experience.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Visited with friends who recommended the place. First impression was of the nice clean atmosphere including the soothing wall colors and clean lines of the dining room. Started meal with fried green tomatoes which were crispy and delicious. Two of us split the salmon with veggie medley which was melt in your mouth delicious. Also got a taste of the onion rings which were cooked perfectly seasoned well. The service was busy even at 1 pm on a Wednesday, but we found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. Great place to dine while visiting the Bishop art district. Only wish I lived in the same state so I could visit again soon.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Loved the art vibe in the area. Menu was good. Server was pretentious. Food didn't live up to menu billing. Felt rushed the entire time. Would choose somewhere else next time.

1  Thank Dan B