“5 Star Taste without the accompanied stuffiness”

Hattie's Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 3,897 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

First, Bishop Arts District is home to quite a number of great restaurants but let it be known that Hattie's takes a backseat to none of them. My wife and I along with another couple went there for dinner last weekend and were all pleasantly thrilled with our experience. We had a smorgasbord of different foods that we all shared family style but the 2 winners for me were the calamari and meatloaf. Both were the best I have ever had...anywhere. Another great thing was this place is severely under priced for the quality of food you receive with a good number of plates at $20 or less. Only draw was our waiter. For the quality of food we received he was just o.k. but it was busy that night so maybe a pass is warranted. Will def return.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went here on a Sunday night with a group of six. This was our first experience with a restaurant that gave you either a black or white napkin based on the color of your clothes.
Parking is difficult, however valet service is available. We had reservations and were seated right away. The restaurant was busy, crowded and somewhat noisy.
We were disappointed in our server, as he did not seem to be in any sort of hurry to tend to us. It seemed as if he was not really in the mood to be there that night.
Our group ordered a variety of items from the menu and the food was great. There were no complaints. The desserts were delicious as well. Portions were not large but reasonable.
Overall, we had a very nice experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Really nice and elegant restaurant. I knew that the Bishop Arts District was a new hotspot, but had not had the chance to partake in any of the activities. Hattie's does not open until 11:30, so if you arrive early, you will be sitting outside waiting for them to unlock the doors. It is not a big restaurant, but just the right size for a small birthday lunch with friends. Very spacious, clean and airy. I love the atmosphere, which sort of takes you back in time to an elegant southern restaurant. White linen tablecloths and napkins, emaculate service, low-country menu.....perfect. I enjoyed myself immensely. I ordered the shrimp and grits and shared the mac & cheese with a friend. However, I will be going back because there were so many other items I saw that I just have to try, more specifically the BLT with fried green tomatoes. Oh, the onion rings are to die for!
I have to stop now because I am getting hungry just thinking about it. Be prepared to walk a block or two because parking is pretty tight.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Some of the best brunch I have had in a while. Have everything from eggs benedict to shrimp & grits (out of this world) to onion tart (to die for). Make reservations because it's hard to get into during the weekend brunch hours.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This clean, modern restaurant right in the heart of the Bishop Arts district serves Southern dishes like catfish, shrimp and grits, and mac and cheese with an upscale flair. A typical lunch will cost $15 to $25, and add another $10 per meal for dinner, not including dessert or alcohol, so it can be pretty pricey here, but the food is consistently good. The restaurant is frequently busy (so arrive early or make a reservation) and loud, but it's still a great place for business meals because you can hear each other talk and it's a great atmosphere. This is the grand dame of Bishop Arts dining, surviving for many years with her reputation intact. Highly recommended.