“Simpler would have been better”

Hattie's Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 3,734 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Atmosphere great, really cool older building. Four of us ate here, the entrees would have been better dressed down a bit as you couldn't taste neither the fish nor the quail. The special Red Snapper dish had too much garnish ie: beans, relish. The sauce was a red sauce with prawns on side, we weren't sure what the sauce was and couldn't taste prawns. The quail was stuffed with jalapenos and then wrapped in bacon. Couldn't taste the quail only the jalapenos and bacon. Maybe we ordered the wrong dishes? However, crabcake appetizer was good as well as the calamari and fried green tomatos. Service was challenged as well. Tip, if you need a cab back to your hotel, make sure you schedule one as this is an area where cabs don't drive by freely looking for service. We waited for 45 minutes.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Was really excellent, though I was admittedly dining in the latter part of lunch service after the majority of diners had finished. The restaurant would work equally well for business or social dining at lunch.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Sure, I might have a bit better food in low country region but this may be the best we could have without leaving Dallas. Service is as good as any fine dining places in town and I'm a bit surprised to see a good portion of entree and appetizers come with huge plates as well. I couldn't find any big issue to write negatives and we were so full that we couldn't even try desserts.
Just FYI: it is a small place with limited seating (as all restaurants in Bishop district are) and I strongly recommended to book like 1 week ahead.
We tried:
- Appetizers: Fried green tomato is good (but I put a bit more salt and could be better if they put a bit of salt before they fry) and bacon fried oysters is really good.
- Salads are fine dining items: wedge salad (yummy, creamy thousand island like dressing), House salad and strawberry salad all good and well decorated
- Quail entree is a pleasant surprise and I did not expect if will come in sausage like form. It is wrapped with bacon. But it is quite delicious and I even like those yellow stuff (I'm not usually a pumpkin fan) with it. This could be the most creative dish in this place. Other items like famous Shrimp and grit (grit is really good and authentic, shrimps are fresh), Big portion of Meatloaf and Chicken are all comfort food.

1  Thank bigboy61455
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Food was O.K., but nothing above average. But service was really, really bad. Will not go back, food was not good enough to put up with such poor service.

1  Thank Donald W
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Visited on a weekday with a large group. Our table was ready, and the service was attentive. Was thrilled to be offered a dark napkin for my dark dress. Ordered the Redfish special and could not stop eating the vegetables--delicious! Also ordered the Lucky Limeade drink--a little sweet, but that didn't stop me from finishing it--a good blend of cucumbers and fresh sage. Sampled a dessert which was scrumptious, and everyone else raved about theirs as well. Located in the Bishop Arts District, it has an eclectic blend of ambience which makes for good conversation. Will make an opportunity to return soon.