“A special place”

Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It was fun to eat in a place with so much history. The decor really adds to your time here too. We had a great meal, good service, and amazing margaritas.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here on our way to the Dallas Museum of Art. It was very good. Extensive menu with lunch specials.

Reviewed March 11, 2019

We went to El Fenix at 4:30 on a Sunday and were faced with a line, that ultimately moved pretty quickly. Overall, it felt like an authentic experience. The service was quick but not rushed and we were able to enjoy drinks, an app, and entrees.

Reviewed February 25, 2019

The only thing that was good was the salsa. Enchiladas had hardly any filling, and the beans were gross.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed February 21, 2019

I recently moved to Dallas and am lucky enough to live within walking distance of El Fenix. My mom drove down with me and during that time, we ate at El Fenix twice. It was so good we couldn't help it! The restaurant is very large so we were seated very quickly both times, even though it was very crowded on Wed. night, which is enchilada night at El Fenix..
I had a margarita mixed with sangria both nights and my mom had their sangria both times. During Happy Hour on M-Th nights from 3-6 p.m., margaritas and sangrias are both just $3.50 while beer (which comes in a huge glass) is just $2.50. You can't get delicious drinks at that price very many places!
The chips are the most delicious chips I have ever had--crispy and crunchy with just the right amount of salt. They bring a small salsa for each person, so you can "double dip" if you like!
The first night, I had carne asada and my mom had a chicken chimichanga. The carne asada was cooked to perfection and very tasty. The chicken chimichanga was fried just right and had large pieces of chicken in it. We would highly recommend both of those dishes.
The second time we came, we came specifically on Wed. night to try their $5.99 enchilada special. I had beef enchiladas and my mom had chicken. Both were very good and were accompanied by rice and beans.
Service both nights was fast, efficient, and friendly.
I have since returned to this restaurant multiple times. It is that good and the price and the value of the food is great!

Date of visit: December 2018