“Cajun in the heart of Dallas”
Review of Dodies Cajun Diner

Dodies Cajun Diner
Ranked #901 of 3,626 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Flower Mound, Texas, United States
“Cajun in the heart of Dallas”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had the chicken and sausage combo. It was really good. A few to many celery pieces for me, but otherwise spot on. My friend actually liked the amount of celery....can't please everyone. We had the special of shrimp and jalapeños wrapped in bacon and they were really really good. I finished off with the special of blacken checkin salad which had a good combination of cool flavors after all the hot and spicy food preceding it. This is a dive restaurant, which I like, nothing fancy, just basic Cajun - Bayou food and cold beer.

• Visited October 2013

Dallas, Texas, United States
“Authentic Bayou Roadhouse”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have traveled extensively ion the bayous of Acadian area of Louisiana. Even the décor is authentic. If you like crawfish, you will LOVE Dodie's. They have crawfish only in the correct season. This means they don't sell Chinese crawfish. The gumbos are spicy and thick with Okra. The dirty rice is full of bits of meat, fish and whatever was in the pots when cooking. I can't get enough of this place. The beer they serve is right out of Louisiana.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jim M
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great place to catch football games”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Lots of TV's, perfect place to watch college football on a Saturday. Friendly service and Management checking on tables. Bacon wrapped scallops were tasty. I had peel and eat shrimp and enjoyed the variety of hot sauces to spice up my coctail sauce. We aren't from Dallas so we went here based upon the hotel recommendation. We enjoyed being able to catch the games, the food was fine and the service was friendly and efficient. However, we were told this location was a new and not as good as the "hole in the wall" location where it preciously was.....I thought it was a prefect place to watch games, big tables for parties and great patio with the bar partially open to the outside. I would go back for sure.

• Visited August 2013
Dallas, TX
“Great with friends”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Small and smokey. The food was okay, nothing to write home about. But I was with friends and that is what made it a great evening. There were several of us and a lot of different items ordered. One had crab legs, another Jambalya, another crab legs, so on and so forth. I had the blackend shrimp tacos and an order of buffalo oysters. They were both good. I will be going back for both of those items.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jvmac
Cedar Hill, Texas
“Can you Can-Can??”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Can you can-can?? So the story goes like this...Invited to go to eat with my bestie and her kids, they had a taste for an authentic New Orleans muffaletta, typically made with Mufaletta bread, olive mix, sliced ham, mortadella, Genoa salami, provolone and mozzarella, seasoned with oregano and garlic. Sound good, right?!?!

It also turns out it's the only item on the menu that my friend had ever eaten there before from the menu and the only item we went specifically to have since she raved they were the best at Dodie's and she had eaten them for years. Having never had one before, I was excited for a new experience... and I got one.....

They don't serve them any more....a New Orleans original staple??? So, being the only reason we went to Dodie's, we were very disappointed and almost left but, the kids were hungry so, we thought we'd give something else a try....and then...

We had the:
Shrimp fondue with parmesan cheese, non-spicey, bland and almost sour tasting from the parmesan with bread for dipping, enough for 1 person at a table of 4 finishing the balance with packaged crackers which actually soured the dip more.

Fried pickles (which I had never had before and expected to be a bit salty), likely jarred dilled hamburger pickle chips, battered, fried, and coated in salt above the dill pickles with a ranch dressing....the end taste, a bit of firm batter, a bit of sour, and a can of salt

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - (which I love gumbo and expect to be a bit on the salty side) was really great, with really great flavor but, what would have been the overtone of great flavors in the gumbo was ruined by yet another can of salt.

Fried combo plate with catfish and shrimp - where do I start??? Catfish was lightly battered and cooked perfect but, with no flavor, no seasoning and slight undertones of cooking oil...Shrimp, heavily battered in cornmeal with 100% flavor of cornmeal and fried with the tail shells left on the shrimp....ultimate experience with the shrimp....shrimp, lemonade (not homemade), shrimp, lemonade...to keep washing the cornmeal bits and small remaining pieces of shell out of my mouth....served with canjun fries that, what? had no flavor except coated in another can of salt.

Moving around the fries on my plate, I found that I also had a slice of white sandwhich bread hiding underneath (fried fish, fried fries, bread)... stuck to the plate. I obviously didn't eat that.Why on the bottom underneath fried food? My meal also comes with traditional cole slaw that I really wanted to try (initially) because I'm a cole slaw lover.... I asked for it twice and finally got it delivered by the waitress at the end of my meal with a to-go container.

Taking at least a bite before packing it up, it was an utter shock to have a mouth full of vinegar (or maybe Italian dressing, I couldn't really tell) and a TON of pepper.... to go with all the cans of salt I just ate??? I almost gagged from the transition of taste. Maybe that's why I wasn't getting it with my meal??

My besties meal: crawfish Po Boy. All I can say it that she said she's had better at Popeye's Chicken, split with her son, he only took 3-4 bites..no sauce, just bread and teeny tiny little serving of crawfish (for $14) with cheese and powdered coagulated gravy (+1.50) french fries.

The second boy with us had the crawfish alfredo which he said was good though being a salad eater, he didn't like the salad and just picked at it coated in dressing of some sort but, his meal looked really good so, the rest of us were disappointed to have not gotten the same dish.

The wait staff... they were all really super friendly ~ we had three waitresses wait on us and they were all equally friendly and attentive. I didn't wait long for a drink refill but, for such a small place, I couldn't tell if we had a rotating waitress because they were maybe busy for such a small place and three waitresses or just simply confused in recovery from the large group that had preceded our arrival of about 10 people or so.

Table bill: 4 drinks, 2 apps, 1 cup gumbo, 3 entrees =$ 81.00
(They also don't split bills but they did make an exception "since it was just me" as they "don't have room on the computer"??? I was confused by that) so,

My meal bill alone: 1 drink, 1 app, 1 cup soup, 1 entree = $33.02 + $1.98 tip

Average price per person $20; Average price per person at Popeye's Chicken with red beans & rice, gumbo and all the fixings $6 (Go to Popeye's for your New Orleans experience until I find a good place in the Dallas area...because if this is authentic New Orleans food with a 4 out of 5 rating among 26 reviews at the time I'm writing this, I'm going to have to stick with the chain food locations for my personal experiences.)

At the end of the day, so sad... first impressions are lasting impressions and unfortunately, my first impression and lasting impression is going to be that I wont be back to Dodie's any time relatively soon. Leaving the place at 645PM on a Saturday evening, I leave you with: So, can you can-can?? 'Cause THEY can with the can of salt and with my heavily laden salt can and lemonade tongue FORCED to be URGENTLY home early in the evening by 8PM on a Saturday night, can too because sadly that's where I sat the rest of the nite...the can

• Visited July 2013