“Best Italian spot in Dallas”
Review of Patrizio - CLOSED

Patrizio
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Patrizio is the perfect destination for any occasion. Enjoy an enticing selection of savory pasta dishes, appetizers, delicious house specialties and delectable desserts. Authentic Italian cuisine and an inviting atmosphere make everyday a special occasion at Patrizio. Our catering options also make lunch, dinner or party planning easier!
Dallas, Texas
“Best Italian spot in Dallas”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Patrizio in Highland Park Village is our go-to Italian option. The quality of the food is really high, and the prices are better than any of the competition, including the junky chain places. I always walk out of here feeling like I've had a treat. Here are some of the highlights:

1. The Patio - if the weather is bearable, this is possibly our favorite place to have meal. Good food, nice atmosphere, and you can spy on the Dallas elite's parking their Ferrari's and Rolls-Royce's at Cafe Pacific across the street. This also circumvents my only negative point about the place - that the inside dining room has terrible acoustics and is so loud that you have to shout to have a conversation with the person across the table
2. Chicken and spinach lasagna - creamy and delicious. I rarely order the same thing twice at a restaurant, but this is the exception. If my wife isn't going to have it, I must order it.
3. The bruchetta is really tasty. We try to keep it cheap and just stick with the free bread, but this is sometimes hard to pass up.
4. Bellini month - in July, they offer $1 baby bellini's which are delicious and refreshing, especially if you're sitting on the patio in Dallas in July.

Visited July 2013
Cristy R, Manager at Patrizio, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thanks for your extensive review! I couldn't be happier to hear how much you've enjoyed our patio and food. We've worked hard to provide our customers with consistent quality, so I look forward to passing this along to our team. Can we hope to have you back again soon?

All the best,

Ryan Carbery, GM/Executive Chef

Dallas, Texas
“Great Italian at low prices”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Patrizio's is one the rare dining locations in Dallas - Highland Park Village, actually. It has stayed generally the same for decades, with old favorites on the menu at reasonably low prices.

This review is for the Highland Park Village location - the original location. Patrizio's has been trying to spread its wings, mostly in the suburbs. Those locations try to be too upscale, too "haute cuisine". Anyone that has been to the original location knows that the setting, both inside and outside, is simple. The food rules the day.

Summers at Patrizio's in Highland Park can result in long waits, especially for outdoor/patio tables. But in most cases, even an hour wait is rewarded with a good experience. Parking at the Village is sometimes difficult, but you can almost always find a spot not far away.

Patrizio's new owners have recently tweaked the menu a bit - the old format is gone, as are the monthly specials. They need to tread very carefully here and NOT remove old favorites. The menu can stand a bit of updating, but it should be mostly additions, not subtractions. One disappointment was how the standard bread basket has changed. Before it was a selection of 3 different styles. Now it is a sort-of standard Italian bread - no variety.

The dessert menu has also suffered from the removal of Fruit Gratin - a summer favorite (think crème brulee with fresh fruit on top). Patrizio's needs to bring this back.

We've been going to this location for over 25 years and have yet to have a bad experience or bad meal. The new owners must take heed - don't mess with a good thing! And by the way, your suburban locations need to copy the original!

• Visited July 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Average”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had the opportunity to eat here on June 18. The thing that struck me about this restaurant mostly was the unfriendly staff. The front desk was indifferent, and the waiter seemed like he had better things to do than wait on us. The food to me was average, typical of standard Italian fare. The prices were not high, so maybe this was a case of getting what you paid for. With so many other Italian restaurants available, I very much doubt I'll be returning here.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank BigDave1326
Dallas, Texas
“Best Gluten Free Penne Arrabiatta!!”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Since choosing to eat gluten free, dining out can be hit or miss. Asked for their GF menu and choses the penne....oh, was my mouth happy with the party going on....couldn't finish it all and it was even better as leftovers. Was with a large party and everyone enjoyed their food. Servers were spectacular! Now my fave place for pasta - best ever!

• Visited May 2013
Rockwall, Texas
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've been a regular at this place since it opened back in the 80's. I've become friends with several bar tenders over the years as well as servers - always wonderful, nice folks. My current regular waiter, Sakis, is one of the best in the industry. Eating there last weekend however, I was terribly disappointed on two counts. First, the crab claws have been taken off the menu. This was a mainstay of the appetizer section. The poor, poor response from the manager, Ryan Tuley made matters even worse. According to Mr. Tuley, the restaurant "supplier" could no longer get crab claws that were up to standard. Please, perhaps in a restaurant graveyard town, but not in Dallas, which has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the entire US. There are dozens of other places to order excellent crab claws - think Campisi, Trukucks or Cadot. Campisis would shutter the doors before removing crab claws from the menu. Also, the signature dessert, Capuccino pie has left the menu for no apparent reason - not good, Ryan Tuley. Now tell me your crab supplier gets his capuccino ice cream from the same salty waters from whence the crab originates; I dont think so.
The Dallas restaurant market is endearingly competitive, fiercely so. When a well received, tried and true menu item leaves the menu suddenly, it leaves a bad taste, akin to bad crab claws, I guess. Even worse, the cold, placid responses from Mr. Tuley are a sure sign of corporate complacency. Highland Park deserves better, Mr. Tuley.

• Visited May 2013