“Awesome Experience!”
Review of Abacus

Abacus
Reserve with OpenTable
Abacus is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #142 of 3,640 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: Armstrong
Description: From the moment you step through the door to the time you leave. Every lunch, dinner, special occasion, and cocktail is a chance for an extraordinary experience. Our signature dishes and 5-star status are why Abacus is a perennial name on the most renowned "Top 10" and "Most Popular" lists. You can have an ordinary dining experience anywhere, just not here. Treat yourself with the creative culinary wonders of Executive Chef Christopher Patrick.
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I wanted to celebrate our 8th year anniversary in a special way so we decided to celebrate it at Abacus. I read all the other reviews and decided to give it a try. We like to try a variety of foods and so we chose to do the 8 course tasting menu. We made a 6 o'clock reservation and when we arrived it looked as though they weren't ready for service yet so we waited by the bar for drinks. The ambience of the restaurant is perfect and beautifully decorated. Our waiter Ken was a breath of fresh air. He made sure everthing was right and made sure we were happy. He even offered us a complimentary appetizer aka small plate of the lobster shooters and some of their best champagne. I think I would have enjoyed the shooters a little more without the sauce but other than that it was good and a different taste.

The eight course meal was something we had never done before and we were allowed to take our time and enjoy ourselves. Everything was beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. Even though we didn't enjoy every item on the menu, particularly the foi grais dish, we loved the experience. I have to say I don't see how anyone can eat foi grais. It was the worse thing I have ever eaten in my life. Lol But I guess now I can say I tried it.

The best dish we had was the Cobia fish dish. It was so good that we could have eaten a whole plate of it. The pan seared Salmon was really good also followed by the pork tenderloin. I really would have enjoyed the buffalo tenderloin because it looked awesome but it was just a little undercooked for my taste. I'm sure if we had just ordered it as an entree aka big plate we could have ordered it cooked the way we like which is well done or medium well. I really didn't like the dessert portion of our meal but all in all it was one of the best dining experiences we had along with Trulucks as of yet.

There are newer reviews for Abacus

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Excellent food and service. The bartenders were terrific too. We had a party of nine and they took GREAT care of us.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had the 8 course tasting ($95) menu with paired wines ($95). A less expensive wine pairing was available but I'm glad I chose the upgrade. The first course, seared tuna and couple pieces of sushi roll was my least favorite, It was good but not great. It was paired with a very nice rose champagne. The next course was monkfish in an Asian-inspired broth. The fish was very good, the broth was great, and the wine, Prieure de Montezargues 2011 Tavel, was delicious and paired perfectly with the broth. Next was a perfectly seared diver scallop and a glass of chardonnay. The scallop was my favorite part of the meal and one if the best things I've ever eaten. After an intermezzo I was served foie gras and a delicious ice wine. The scallop course was a hard act to follow, but, thanks to the ice wine, this was also a very memorable course. Pork tenderloin, ostrich, cheese, and dessert followed. I was served another delicious ice wine with the dessert. All-in-all, this was one of the best restaurant meals I have ever had.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

It had been a few years since my last visit to Abacus and to my dismay nothing has changed. The restaurant a few years ago was starting to feel dated, but I can say it is full on feeling late 1980's. That would not be so bad, but the menu feels the same. The fact that the menu still has Sushi on it says everything. At one time Sushi was new and exciting, but let's face it you can get it everywhere now, in grocery stores/gas stations. I wish the chef did something more interesting with raw fish than make rolls. The rest of the menu lacks creativity, relying upon old dated classics truffled fries, lobster shooters, mac n' cheese. While the food tasted good, nothing was a knock out or particualry inventive. For the price, I was expecting more.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Truly exceptional food and great service. The sophistication of the food, from favor,presentation, combinations of ingredients to range of choices was outstanding. Black truffle risotto and lobster shooters where incredible.

Been to Abacus? Share your experiences!