“grandfather of all dallas barbecue”

Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse
Ranked #2,155 of 3,714 Restaurants in Dallas
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Well to be honest, Sonny's dad was Red Bryan, and i think it was Red's dad that was the grandfather. I used to eat Red Bryan's barbecue as a young boy, before I knew anything about it. But, there is no better smoked brisket in the world, when you get up into this league, it's really beyond me to say what is the "best", but I'll put this in the top 5. And (if you could see me, you would know) I eat a lot of Barbecue. If you can go to the St Paul st. location, THAT is the whole experience

Reviewed September 12, 2012

we got talking to a really nice guy at the JFK museum and he suggested we eat here as its allegedly a local instituion.... well we went on inside... and nearly walked out.. but we decided to give it a shot... boy should we have listened to our fist instinct!!.. greasy plastic plates, food that looked like it had been thrown on the plate, grimey surroundings in the restaurant... dont bother... Mc Donalds is fresher and better... and I dont even like Mc Donalds!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Loved the meats and sauce. The sides were not impressive, but stiill decent. Had to wait about 50 minutes, but it was worth it.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

What can I say. It wasn't bad but I have had better BBQ. Nothing I have had beats Pappys in St. Louis yet. I tried the 3 meat plate so I had beef brisket, ribs and pulled pork. Pork was the best, so I was disappointed because everyone raves about brisket in Texas. Sauce was good. Location was nice, we ate here before we toured the JFK museum. I would eat here again but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't. Mini chocolate bundt cake across the street at the cafe was outstanding. Can't find the location of that place on TA or I would review it as well.

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This place has a very Texas feel to it. Great atmosphere, friendly service.

The BBQ is great, but not the absolute best I've ever had. I had the beef brisket, turkey and sausage with potato salad and coleslaw. My tummy was happy :)

I would definitely return and suggest this location.

Been to Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse? Share your experiences!