“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 3,578 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: On Maple between Cedar Springs & McKinney
Description: Just blocks away from the Arts District, our executive chef at The Capital Grille is creating works of art himself– from prime aged beef The Dallas Observer has praised as “great,” to appetizers you'll call irresistible. Even our service has been described as “old-school professional and attentive”; by The Dallas Morning News. Complimentary valet parking ensures you’ll breeze right in to indulge in Dallas’s finest.
Dunedin, Florida
“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I've had a gift card from The Capital Grille for sometime as I wanted to use it for a special occasion. Knowing that we were going to be in Downtown for a weekend staycation (we are locals), I thought it would be the perfect opportunity. I went onto the website and made a reservation for early Friday evening.

Upon arrival, the valet was quite friendly and I thought we were off to a great start. There were three people behind the host stand, one of which I thought might be a manager (full suit). We were greeted and sat at a nice table near the kitchen. The wine menu was delivered. I must say, that the selection and options for wine, was actually the best part of the entire experience. Our server, was polite: yet not really what I would describe as personable. He described the specials and asked if we had any questions. I ordered a chop salad ($12), followed by the tenderloin and lobster tails (at $51 ala cart): rare. My better half ordered a tomato and mozzarella salad and filet mignon: medium well. This is where it started to go downhill.

The salad: looked as if it had been prepared hours in advance and appeared to be a bit wilted. I ate one bite and pushed it to the side. My better half said that the salad was "adequate". The server looked at the salad and said, "are you through with this", I replied: "actually I am, as it wasn't fresh or flavorful". He didn't apologize, or ask if I would like something else, he just wisked it off the table.

When our entrees arrived, mine was luke warm, my better half's was completely rare. I didn't notice it right away and he didn't want to make a fuss, considering the way the salad was handled. I am not a "foodie" but certainly have had my fair share of great meals at a variety of price points in the Dallas Metro. Our total bill was around $160+, which I would have been happy to absorb, should it had been an experience to remember. Unfortunately, it is memorable: but for all of the wrong reasons! There are too many other options out there to settle for The Capital Grille's lack luster service and average at best entrees.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Robert_TX

Miami, Florida
“Enjoyed good meal and Basketball”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I have been to the capital Grille in Washington DC, Milwaukee, and Miami. I'm familiar with their excellent service and very good food. For the first time I sat at the bar at the Dallas capital Grille because it was within walking distance of the Hotel Zaza. We enjoyed watching a basketball game, talking with other customers at the bar and had very good food. The service was very good and I enjoyed the friendly nature of our bartender. Bottom line, when in Uptown Dallas, I would probably return to known excellence

Munich, Germany
“Average at best, especially for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

To clarify I am a 20+ customer of The Capital Grille, primarily in the Northeast Philly, DC, Providence RI, but especially Boston. With this in mind I pretty much know what I am going to order ahead of time and I have preexisting expectations based on my experience in Boston. This restaurant is in a bit of an odd location. The interior decor is what I expected with wood paneling, oil paintings, brass, etc.... However the dinning area is rectangular, which is a challenge with round tables. The first table offered to us was a round table right next to the steps of a raised dinning section and as I pulled my chair out to sit I was not only in the middle of the aisle but one wrong turn and I would tumble down the stair. So we asked for another table. This time it was down in the main dinning area but in the aisle of the kitchen. Not necessarily a big deal but in this restaurant it is a quasi-open kitchen so we had constant kitchen noise. At some point it became annoying. The service was.....ok...... The petite waitress was attentive but was not genuine. We ordered the pan fried calamari and salmon as starters. I have had their pan fried calamari at several locations and it is always lightly cooked and non greasy. Not here. Everything on the plate was greasy. The salmon was small in portion with way to many sauces, capers, etc.... Disappointing start to what is adding up to be an expensive night... As someone who rarely eats meat I was looking forward to a nice quality steak. To my surprise and disappointment there was either an average size Filet, which normally is fine with me, but I was in the mood for a Rib Eye. After struggling through a menu of either over sauced or spiced steaks or cow size portions I opted for the Delmonico. The sides included asparagus and spinach, which were greasy/oily. In the end when it all arrived the steak was at least two times the size as it should have been and the veg was half the size I had expected. In the end I ended up with a plate of meat and grease. Very disappointing to say the least, especially for $480.00 for four people......

Tip: If you are looking for a relaxing but nice dinner out with business associates perhaps look for another alternative.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Sailingbill63
Los Angeles, California
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

You can say AWESOME in Dallas; everything here is over the top.I often come to The Capital Grille because the bartenders are the best ( I don't drink) company in town and they have these incredible fries smothered in blue cheese that are to die for.Always good company and food.

Visited May 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Always Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

The Capital Grille in Dallas is much better than other cities I've visited. I believe it's primarily due to its management and staff. Always, and I do mean always, a "cut above" in service and knowledge of the menu; both dinner and wine. It enjoys a good clientele and you WILL NOT be disappointed.

• Visited April 2014

Been to The Capital Grille? Share your experiences!