“Really Great BBQ”

Peggy Sue BBQ
Ranked #174 of 3,594 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Nashville, Tennessee
“Really Great BBQ”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I hadn't eaten all day, so I ordered up an immense meat feast. I ended up with a three-meat Full Meal with fatty sliced brisket, sausage, and pulled pork, with Sweet Potater Tots and Hoppin' John on the side.

The Sweet Potater Tots are just what they sound like: tater tots made from sweet potatoes. My tots were crispy and sweet. The Hoppin' John, however, needs a little more explanation. Essentially, you've got black eyed peas, rice, and celery in a broth, which made it almost like a black eyed pea gumbo.

I started my chow down with the sausage. It was smokey and full of spice, and the casing had a great snap to it. The pulled pork was just a little dry and didn't have too much flavor, so this is where Peggy Sue's homemade bbq sauce came in handy. The brisket was spectacularly juicy and tender, probably because I selected a fatty cut over the lean.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

Search "The Barbecue Fiend"

Visited January 2013

Davis, CA
“Old fashioned barbeque delight”
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We visited Peggy Sue BBQ as part of a college visit with our daughter to Southern Methodist University (right across the street). We wanted traditional, casual good food, and that's exactly what we got! The restaurant is simple - like an older diner- but the food was terrific and the staff were extremely friendly. Plus, it was a great value.

We had the brisket and ribs - yum. Plus the onion rings and sweet potato tots were delicious. For desert, save room for a least a couple of bites if the fried pie (we liked the coconut!). We thought this bbq was better than others in the Dallas area we tried. Don't come here if you want a "fine dining" experience....come here to enjoy tasty food and feel welcomed into the Peggy Sue family!!

Dallas, Texas
“Great BBQ at a decent price”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

While there might be better BBQ in Dallas, Peggy Sue's is still worth visiting. The chopped beef and pulled pork sandwiches are great, and the spicy barbeque sauce is also very good. A place that I will keep coming back to.

Visited June 2013
Dallas, Texas, United States
“My kinda home style Cookin”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great BBQ here, started out with the smoked bbq onion which was surprisingly good, then topped off the night with the lean brisket. The WOW factor is in the food. The service is so so, the atmosphere is what you would expect in a hole in the wall kinda of place. If your looking to get some great bbq that was smoked out in your backyard, this is your place.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Must have the Fried Pies!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Located in a shopping plaza, parking was a bit tricky, so beware, but you can find it by sniffing for the bbq smoke smell -- surprisingly I've been told you don't smell it inside the place but the night we went the vents didn't work right and the place smoked up quite a bit.

My friend and I ordered the 3 meats meal each so that we can try 6 different types of meat and 4 different sides.

1) Lean brisket -- excellent. Wasn't too dry considering there was very little fat.
2) Turkey -- pretty good. Some pieces we a bit dry and overcooked as if our turkey slices were not cut from the same bird.
3) Ham -- good but not memorable.
4) Sausage -- excellent.
5) Ribs - excellent.
6) Pulled Pork -- nice and juicy.

Sides: Cold smoked-bbq onion (extra but so worth it!), Sweet potato tots (great crunch to them), fried okra (excellent), corn (okay), sweet vinegar slaw (good).

Dessert: 1 apricot fried pie without ice cream. EXCELLENT! IT came out nice and freshly friend with a dusting of powered sugar. I was one happy person.

• Visited April 2013