“Went there for Valentines Day! it was amazing, delicious food and the service was immpecable”

The Mansion Restaurant at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mansion Restaurant at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #102 of 3,609 Restaurants in Dallas
Neighborhood: Oak Lawn
Cross street: Turtle Creek and Gillespie
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Dallas, TX
“Unparalleled dining event in an elegant setting”
Reviewed December 26, 2008

As a change of pace, my family and I dined at the Mansion on Turtle Creek for dinner on Christmas. This is by far the best dining experience I've had this year, and among the top 3 dining experiences in Dallas-Fort Worth (and probably across the Texas). We were actually hesitant to go here, as we'd been about 2 years ago and found ourselves treated poorly, pushed to the side because we were not VIPs. This week's experience was a complete overhaul, a marvelous, memorable dining experience in the recently revamped Dallas landmark.

Service, food and decor were all awe-inspiring.

There are restaurants in Dallas whose cuisine is on par with this restaurant. We also dined at Bijoux this week (see other review), with comparably world-class food. The Mansion, though, had the edge in my estimation. Every detail, small and large, was so thoughtfully executed, engaging all the senses.

The intricate woodwork on the mantle in the chef's room was a world-class work of craftsmenship. I stared at it for the longest time. Similar artistry in the room's columns was attention grabbing. Even the ceilings were beautiful, narrow rectangles of depth and texture. I imagine royalty dining with regularity in rooms like this. I was truly awestruck.

But even the lesser things were perfectly executed. The bar stools were the squarish, mid-backed ones typically found in deep, oaky bars, with one twist: each seat revolved. It seems silly to focus on bar stools, but I was struck by that detail, by the fact that someone combined the best of barstools for this place.

Service was spectacular all around. I was a little nervous, because the several hosts and hostesses seemed a bit flustered or disorganized, but things worked out just fine. We sat in the bar during the short wait for our table, and I asked someone I thought to be a waiter for wine and a milk for my daughter. He suggested chocolate milk, asked for her chocolate preference (lots? a little?), got our drinks and had my daughters milk made to chocolate perfection. As it turns out, the gentleman was not even a waiter. He just served us because, well, because we asked. This impressed me greatly.

Our waiter, Chris, knew the menu very well and took the time to answer many questions. He was gracious, personable, funny without being overbearing, and a genuine highlight. He's moving to LA soon, and we wish him well. He did a great job pairing wines by the glass for our dinner, something few wait staff would be able to do. He even took us on a tour of the grounds, a nice treat.

The food? Spectacular. The special Christmas menu was in no way limited. Highlights included Nantucket scallops surrounded by bits of crunchy bacon in a buttery sauce, a 72-hour braised short ribs that blew my daughter and I away, salmon, a cone of chocolate raspberry mouse and an apple tatine (a kind of crumble). Everything was prepared perfectly, uncovered in unison by a trio of waiters, and timed in a perfect pace of dining. One small pick: I would've preferred the wines be brought earlier than they were, a minor flaw.

There are some wonderful restaurants in Dallas, and I've been blessed to have dined at several of them. The think about the Mansion is that it, much like the French Room, combines perfection in service and cuisine with a room that overwhelms like a fine painting. It's not cheap - our prix fixe Christmas dinner for 3 with 2 glasses of wine ran over $400 with tip - but it is a meal I'll remember for years. I highly recommend this Dallas highlight.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Service is the best I have ever had. We went on our 10th Anniversary and every employee knew it and recognized our day.”
Reviewed December 20, 2008

“good but expensive”
Reviewed November 12, 2008

good but expensive

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Must enjoy at least once...”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Must enjoy at least once in a lifetime

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Travelers who viewed The Mansion Restaurant at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek also viewed

Been to The Mansion Restaurant at Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek? Share your experiences!