“Great Afghan restaurant”

Nora Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Nora Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #543 of 3,640 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Oram St.
Description: Our food is not just a meal, it’s a taste of Afghan culture! Our menu offers Afghan novelties such as Mantoo, Qabili Palao and Sabzi Chalao, as well as an array of grilled kabobs and menu items from other cuisines such as Dolma and Hummus. Each plate is made with exotic spices and served fresh. Stop in and see what we are all about and discover a cuisine you never knew you were craving!
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Lovely small restaurant on Lower Greenville Avenue. Clean sleek interior. Nice bar area, seems to be very popular. Afghan food is basically Mediterranean based. The sampler plate is Kadu (Sautéed pumpkin with garlic yogurt, meat sauce), Sambosa (Lightly fried pastries filled with ground beef, chick peas, green peas), Bulanee (Leek or potato filled pastries lightly fried, sprinkled cilantro, served with mint sauce) and Aushak (Steamed leek dumpling, topped with mint yogurt and meat sauce), all very good. Chicken kabobs were very flavorful served with delicious saffron rice and a yogurt dipping sauce. Nice cocktail list. Classic Mojito was very good. Great outdoor seating upstairs.

There are newer reviews for Nora Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed May 6, 2014

It ranks a 3.5 - would have been a 4 if the service had not been so very slow. The food was good and was unique compared to the "middle eastern" restaurants I have been to around east Dallas. Definitely worth a visit. I will try it again. Decent wine selection, too.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

My daughter and I were searching for a patio to enjoy brunch on one of the first nice days of the Spring and we stumbled upon Nora. We had a great brunch - not your usual mimosa and eggs. We had the Vegetable Combo - sauteed pumpkin, eggplant and spinach, served with rice, afghan dolma and kashk - chilled eggplant puree seasoned with garlic yogurt and pepper. All were superb. An excellent find. Their rooftop garden looked promising. We'll be back.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I really like the food in this restaurant, especially the Kadu, an unusual and delicious pumpkin appetizer and the Qabili Palao, a wonderful lamb and rice dish and Mantoo, steamed meat dumplings. We have gone to this restaurant several times and the food is always very good.

What I don't like is the complete inflexibility of the management regarding the menu. There are certain things I don't eat, in this period and it is impossible to substitute for anything but additional salad. My friend and I had already ordered a large salad to split so I asked if I could substitute some vegetables instead of the saffron rice that came with the kabob I ordered. I was informed that I could only have extra salad as a substitute. This kind of inflexibility is not conducive to a great restaurant experience, so I removed a star for this reason.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Helmund in Boston (Cambridge) is the standard bearer for Afghan cuisine in the USA. Once you have eaten there, it is difficult to like any other Afghan restaurant. That was the case here, though on its own, it would be not too bad, if only they could make fresh, piping hot Afghan breads rolling out f the oven. Well, that was not the case. The bread seemed pre made or super market quality, definitely not fresh and hot. The vegetarian dishes were good, not extraordinary as Helmund. The Kadu was quite good, and so was the eggplant dish. Chalao was a bit bland, and so was the sambosas.

Well, perhaps it is not fair to compare it with Helmund, but there you are. On a Tuesday night, this huge place was totally empty, with waiters hovering around all the time.

1  Thank ZenHealer7