“The hotel who hated me”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Dallas Downtown
Ranked #15 of 204 Hotels in Dallas
“The hotel who hated me”
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Started as soon as I arrived. Reservations wets booked way in advance and the room ear unavailable until a few minutes. I arrived after 6. When I went up to my room there was blood on the closet door. I was kind of laughed at and given a drink. There was also no iron or ironing board so I was told the hotel was too new. After clad that evening I go upstairs to the room and realize there was no soap. I went back down and asked for soap and was okay until I had a cold shower with no towels but a hand towel. When I left today I told them off my experience and was told that they were new. Yikes

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mindy D, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Tracy W,

Thank you for leaving a review of you recent stay with us at our property. We are so sorry to hear that you had a less than stellar experience. We always try to do everything that we can to increase guest satisfaction, and we are sorry that we fell short of our normally high standards as well as your expectations. We take your comments very seriously and have passed them along to our team in an effort to ensure that your issues are rectified for future guests. We thank you again for your feedback and hope that the next time you're in town you'll give us another chance and stay with us again.

Best regards,

Mindy Dennis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Indianapolis, United States
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Excellent hotel in a very good location of downtown Dallas. High-speed Internet and free breakfast made my business trip more enjoyable. Too many other amenities to mention, but suffice it to say you won't be wanting for anything.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Mindy D, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Dallas Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Roy T,

Thank you for sharing your kind words with us and all 5 stars! We are also pleased to see that you enjoyed the complimentary High speed Internet. We can tell you're a man of few words but when you speak they are powerful. Our favorite point you made was "You will not want for anything." Thank you again!

We hope to see you again soon!

Anytown, USA
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have stayed in several Homewood Suites on business and I can truly say that this location is the best I have visited. I will be staying here every time I make it back to Dallas.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, allowing me to check in a little early when my flight got in early. Travis at the front desk was especially helpful and took the time to answer any questions I had about the area and the hotel.

Since I stayed here during the week, I was able to take advantage of the light meal and drinks each night from 5-7. Having stayed in several hotels with these Manager's Receptions before, I can say that this location had the best reception food of any I had before (Sample menu: chicken fajitas, spanish rice, refried beans, or rotisserie chicken, mac and cheese, peas, and dinner rolls). There was never a shortage of food and they had real plates and silverware (I never saw any plasticware, like the other commenters mentioned). Alcohol consisted of several brands of beer in bottles as well as red and white wine by the glass. The staff working the reception worked diligently to keep the food and beverages stocked and I never had a problem with food or alcohol running out.

Breakfast in the morning was more of the same. The food never ran out, and consisted of several hot items each day (biscuits and gravy, or scrambled eggs with peppers, ham, bacon, sausage, etc.) as well as the usual staples of a continental breakfast. The breakfast also included a pot of hot oatmeal every morning.

There were several unexpected amenities that I made great use of during my stay. This location features an indoor golf simulator, a half-court basketball court, a small movie theater with Blu-Ray player (you might want to bring your own movies; MIB:III was supposed to be playing, but all I found was Bridget Jones' Diary), and an impressive snooker table, which I learned how to play while staying here.

All told, this Homewood Suites constantly exceeded my expectations. Being a new hotel, the staff were still working out some small kinks, but none of them negatively affected my stay. The amenities and accomodations, as well as the staff, were top notch. This location exemplifies what a hotel should provide for its guests. Mindy and Andy (management staff) work hard to ensure their guests are well taken care of and it shows in the operation of this hotel. I had a fantastic experience here and I will be back again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank biztraveler1990
Biztraveler1990,

Thank you for sharing your kind words with us! We are pleased to see that you enjoyed... Well... Everything about the hotel! Thank you again for taking the time to review the hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Happy Holidays!

Dallas
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Annual visit to the State Fair brought my family to Dallas for the weekend. Decided to stay at the newly opened Homewood Suites. (Literally opened 8 days prior to my stay so please disregard HIllscreeker's review. I also work in Downtown and pass by the building daily and can say with certainty that the hotel didn't open till mid-Oct.)

Decided on Homewood suites downtown specifically for the easy access to the Dart train, McKinney Trolley and restaurants. Great room with huge bed and full kitchen which is great to help with eating costs.
Views from room were outstanding.

The hotel is brand new and there are a few kinks to work out but this will improve with more time and experience for the staff. On the weekends, I think that the front desk needs more than one person to help check-in and check-out guests. Also, the breakfast seemed to run out of food and not enough staff to clean up the tables after use. Also, no cereal ever arrived even though the nice staffer stated it would arrive soon. And as the other poster stated I wasn't a fan of the plastic utensils (I completely understand the plastic ware but please get better plastic ware.)

Also, there is a media room for movie screenings and pool table for the down times as well. (Loved the pool table.)

The hotel is close to so much in Downtown: Kennedy Memorial, Old Red Courthouse, Grassy Knoll, West End, Sixth Floor museum, Reunion tower. The new Perot Museum is about a 10 minute walk and so worth the trip.

Definitely recommend and will come back.

P.S. There is self serve parking and valet available. There is no free parking in downtown Dallas so be forewarned, Overheard a couple upset about the parking even though they were from San Antonio and SA is even worse.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank t2tranch
T2tranch,

Personally I love the raw and honest feedback from your review! With that said, We were also puzzled by the early review before we opened. We can't wait for you to come back to Dallas and enjoy all of the improvements made since your last stay. Hope you and your family are doing well. Happy Holidays.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'm a little confused by the initial reviewer saying she stayed in this hotel in August. I was told by one of the valets yesterday that the hotel had been in operation for four days. When I pulled the hairdryer out, the cord still had the twisty tie on it, I was the very first one to use it.

I was at the hotel for TX-OU Weekend. This is a very crazy time in downtown Dallas and I can understand their desire to not let their brand new hotel become party central. That said, it was a teensy bit offputting to have to sign an agreement to not have a party in my room (even though I hadn't planned one - would have been information to know before I had booked), as well as to wear an orange wristband all weekend to identify me as a hotel guest. I can see wearing one in the lobby and restaurant, but everywhere I went outside the hotel, seemed like a lot to ask. I finally talked them into giving me a wristband that was loose enough to remove when I was outside the hotel, but they didn't seem happy about it.

This is a really nice hotel in a great location. It is close to DART and a major bus transfer center, so it was very easy and convenient to get to Fair Park. Saturday night I went to a concert at American Airlines Center, decided to walk it, and it was about 20 minutes. I liked having a complimentary breakfast and free coffee. The Bath & Body Works toiletries were really nice, especially the conditioner. Nice, fluffy towels too.

The other side... I could hear the DART trains from my room and it was a little noisy. Not much to be done about that, I know. The area around the hotel is a little seedy - also not much to be done about that but I was on my guard when walking around at night. Little things that could be better: There were no pillows on my bed when I arrived; the only pillow in my room was the one in the closet that was meant to be the "extra". I thought that housekeeping would notice this by the second day but they didn't. The breakfast room seemed to run out of things easily. There were waffles but no syrup, for two days. I asked and the staff said something about someone taking all of the syrup. (?) Having silverware vs. plasticware was hit and miss. The AC in my room was so noisy it was hard to hear the TV. None of these things are major, but I just thought they were weird things to not be right.

The staff was very nice and I enjoyed my stay. I wish them best of luck with their new hotel!

Room Tip: I was in room 218 and you could hear the DART trains.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Kathy K
Kathy K,

Thank you for sharing your kind words and feedback with us! We are also pleased to see that you enjoyed the suite and location. We apologize for any inconveniences of our strict TX/OU weekend policies. We hope it aided to a relaxing weekend and we to see you again soon!

Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Where should I start. The location is excellent! Close to areas tourist attractions: JFK Memorial, Book Depository, Museum of Art, Perot Science Museum,,,,,and every type of restaurant in every price range near by. Of course families can save money with the delicious breakfast and the dinner they serve in the evening-we did. And did I mentions the fast and friendly shuttle service.around the area. Our driver was a Dallas native and knew a great deal about the city and graciously answered all questions and offered sound advice. I splurged and got5 the two bed room suite--which although my "frugal"nature turned out to be one of the best decisions of the trip. In fact it made the "suites" we stayed in the remainder of the trip seem horribly small by contrast, so moms and dads think twice about it; afterall its vacation. The ids has their own tv and bathroom and a large living room for us all to boot. The pool and surrounding area was always clean and towels were abundant. Oh and one last thing, I found it pretty classy that the door to the manager's office was always open and she frequented the common areas often checking to see if everything was running smooth. Hats off to the Homewood Suites by Hilton--this one's a winner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank hillscreeker
Hillscreeker,

Sometimes it's the small things that count. Thank you for noticing the little things we do to step it up at our Downtown hotel. Thank you for sharing your kind words with us and 5 stars! We are also pleased to see that you enjoyed the huge two bedroom two bath suite. We hope to see you again soon! Happy holidays!