“Great neigbhood Vietnamese gem”
Review of Mot Hai Ba

Mot Hai Ba
Ranked #294 of 3,600 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dallas, Texas
“Great neigbhood Vietnamese gem”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Lovely small, almost hidden restaurant in the east Dallas area of Lakewood. Local chefs who changed their direction (the right direction!). Specializing in North Vietnamese cuisine.

The waitstaff at dinner was outstanding. Very accommodating and helpful with suggestions. The dinner portions are a nice size. The appetizers can be shared. The sizzling cake with shrimp, scallion was delicious. It is a very thin crepe with all the goodies inside. You wrap it up in a large lettuce leaf with your choice of herbs (lemongrass, cilantro). Dip it in some wonderful fish sauce. This can be ordered with tofu, mushroom for a vegan variety.
Entrees -- Marinated crab legs was very good as were the he chargrilled prawns. Served with either noodle or rice and nice green vegetables, i.e. leeks. Nice variety of entrees - it's hard to choose!

Nice selection of wines and desserts.

The atmosphere was quite nice. Very sleek. Mostly low tables with comfortable padded stools. Very interesting lighting -- towards the back of the restaurant are a grouping of lamps hung upside down. Adds to the character of the restaurant. Outside seating is available. Can get crowed on weekends. Weeknights are not as busy.

• Visited October 2013

Palestine, Texas
“Be adventureous”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hidden spot in Lakewood was a great delight. Add the French wine and you have a perfect combination. Service was top notch and pares the wines on recommendation. I can see myself in the fall sitting on the patio with a big plate of something I would mispronounce but enjoy none the less.

Dallas, Texas
“Fabulous! Best Phó ever!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I am a big fan of these Chefs - and they are very good friends of a friend of mine, so I was very excited to hear about their new concept. This just blew me away. These ladies are behind Go To Go Taco - which deserves it's own amazing review. So amazing that this is in my neighborhood and thrilled that it was as amazing as I heard that it was. This location has never been able to keep anything going, which is a shame because it's a great spot - very quaint. The way a good restaurant should be. This place blew my expectations away. I have had Vietnamese in several different cities - and well-
This is the BEST. It is always busy when I drive by and so glad we went in for lunch today. There are gluten free options and vegetarian options which make me very happy to have the GF available. I really was craving Phò and was very excited it was on the lunch menu. I ordered the chicken - which I will be back to try the Beef. Absolutely- THE best phò I have ever had. I am a huge fan of this delicious bowl of noodles and amazed at the depth of flavor it had. Sometimes phò just hasn't cooked long enough to taste like anything. This was perfect without adding any herbs/lime/peppers. Of course I added everything they gave me but it was fantastic by itself. The place was packed for lunch but definitely worth squeezing in where you can find a spot. If you like Vietnamese - this is the spot. The other dishes I saw at lunch looked amazing and now I want to go back and get the cabbage salad and more phò! Huge bowl- so be prepared to have leftovers for dinner. Won't disappoint. Definitely check this place out. So excited to have this so close. They will be getting a lot of my business. Especially when I need that phò fix!!

• Visited August 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Very nice addition to the Vietnamese landscape”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a fun, quirky place! We joined our cool friends to try it out for a Friday night dinner. Be flexible--no reservations. Also, it's next to a field, and if you sit out on the porch, be prepared to share some quality time with the flies. Inside is comfortable, if rustic, and if your party does not number six, be prepared to make new friends.

The food is great, and I thought very reasonable. We started by sharing a bunch of platters. The lettuce wraps (shrimp or mushroom, with herbs) were a bit messy but very good. The green papaya beef salad was also nicely seasoned and very flavorful.

We tried different entrees, all excellent. I had the chicken, which was grilled deliciously and served over rice noodles. A grilled beef dish, served similarly was also excellent. My spouse had the grilled fish, and she said she enjoyed it a lot.

Try the funky specialty drinks, as well as the $2(!!!) Nude Beach Summer Wheat beer--no better deal.

We skipped dessert (get the pie across the street at The Mecca!).

Our bill was also very reasonable, and the servers were cheerful and very helpful. I would certainly go back.

Dallas
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is true Vietnamese food--not what most people think of after having dined at Americanized Vietnamese restaurants. We've been several times for lunch and last night for dinner. We've never been disappointed. The flavors are spot on--clean, crisp and just the right amount of spice. The Dungeness crab for dinner was amazing. It was served on top of thin rice noodles with bok choy. The imperial rolls and green papaya and beef salad were also very good. The beef was good quality and very tasty with just a little spice. They make their own version of siracha sauce which is a bit hot for me. The other half, however, loves siracha on just about anything and he says it's fantastic and has more heat that the store bought version.

Very laid back atmosphere and a good wait staff who understand the food they are serving. Nice selection of Asian beers as well. All wines are French.

It's small so plan ahead or go at a non-peak time.