“Very nice addition to the Vietnamese landscape”
Review of Mot Hai Ba

Mot Hai Ba
Ranked #370 of 3,669 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a fun, quirky place! We joined our cool friends to try it out for a Friday night dinner. Be flexible--no reservations. Also, it's next to a field, and if you sit out on the porch, be prepared to share some quality time with the flies. Inside is comfortable, if rustic, and if your party does not number six, be prepared to make new friends.

The food is great, and I thought very reasonable. We started by sharing a bunch of platters. The lettuce wraps (shrimp or mushroom, with herbs) were a bit messy but very good. The green papaya beef salad was also nicely seasoned and very flavorful.

We tried different entrees, all excellent. I had the chicken, which was grilled deliciously and served over rice noodles. A grilled beef dish, served similarly was also excellent. My spouse had the grilled fish, and she said she enjoyed it a lot.

Try the funky specialty drinks, as well as the $2(!!!) Nude Beach Summer Wheat beer--no better deal.

We skipped dessert (get the pie across the street at The Mecca!).

Our bill was also very reasonable, and the servers were cheerful and very helpful. I would certainly go back.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is true Vietnamese food--not what most people think of after having dined at Americanized Vietnamese restaurants. We've been several times for lunch and last night for dinner. We've never been disappointed. The flavors are spot on--clean, crisp and just the right amount of spice. The Dungeness crab for dinner was amazing. It was served on top of thin rice noodles with bok choy. The imperial rolls and green papaya and beef salad were also very good. The beef was good quality and very tasty with just a little spice. They make their own version of siracha sauce which is a bit hot for me. The other half, however, loves siracha on just about anything and he says it's fantastic and has more heat that the store bought version.

Very laid back atmosphere and a good wait staff who understand the food they are serving. Nice selection of Asian beers as well. All wines are French.

It's small so plan ahead or go at a non-peak time.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just visited for lunch and was pleasantly surprised. The Good 2 Go Taco Girls are now taking on Vietnamese... and succeeding for lunch in East Dallas.

First----- TIP--- The tables are all communal ad low to the ground. If you have bad knees, sit at the bar for sure. I am 5 11 and had no problem at the tables. The design is neat, but tight. No wasted space here. It seemed smaller than York Street did. Once you sit down, you forget about that quickly.

Lunch- We ordered salads and banh mi. Both dishes were excellent and the banh mi meat was cooked well. Great balance in the sandwich. Although we didn't drink, the wine list looked adequate and quite French.

For drinks, we ordered cold green tea. Very light an close to water. Different, but refreshing.

The service was fast and we were out in 30 minutes. The service was also tight.... so expect to be bumped a little when service comes by. No biggie, but expect it.

Overall, I will be back and will be bringing friends. Congrats to the Girls and on to the new conquest!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We kind of stumbled on Mot Hai Ba (1,2,3) by accident, and I'm certainly glad we did.

It's not your typical Americanized Viet-Cuisine, in that they aren't trying to appeal to the white-bread masses. They seem to be trying to stay true to the flavors and preparations of real Vietnamese cooking.

My partner and I tried them out first by ordering our standard measuring stick for Vietnamese Restaurants : Com Bo Luc Lac (Shaken Beef) and Pho. In our experience if they can't do these two dishes well, then it's a lost cause.

Both were surprisingly good and very true to tradition. The portions were large and the flavors were bold without being overpowering. In fact, we liked it enough to go back the next day to try out their lunch menu. When I saw Banh-Mi sandwiches on the menu, I knew I was in for a treat.

They were very true to what they should be. The bread is what makes or breaks a banh-mi sandwich and they got this right. (Lets hope they never try to cut costs by using different bread as other restaurants in the area have). Although the vietnamese pickle could have been a little more pungent for me, I know that most people don't like them quite as strong as I do.

All in all we really like the restaurant and have been back a couple times. While it's not "Fine Dining", and the restaurant is quite small (seats about 30) it's a great alternative for something different.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I've been a big fan of the chefs since good to go tacos (and its predecessor at the Green Spot). These ladies have done some interesting twists on various foods (tacos at Good to Go, burgers at Goodfriend, and of course, Acme), coming up with some interesting variations.

Maybe we came too early in the restaurant's life - I just don't see the twist that makes this really interesting. Instead, the food is an ok Vietnamese place - good enough but standard Vietnamese dishes. However, the price point is pretty high for what the food is - if I want standard Vietnamese, I'll go to other neighborhood dives for a lot less.

I'm hopeful that this restaurant will grow a bit - I'll come back in a month or two to see if my opinion has changed. I have a lot of faith in the chefs.