“Delicious food, mediocre service”
Review of Urbano Cafe

Urbano Cafe
Ranked #379 of 3,656 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We visited the Urbano Cafe for the first time last night. It's BYOB but Jimmy's is next door so it's easy to grab a nice bottle of wine for your meal. I definitely recommend making reservations, as the dining area is very small, maybe 8 tables for four. The atmosphere is quaint and kinda romantic. The menu is small, but the food is delicious. I had scallops and lemon risotto, both were spectacular. The service, however, left something to be desired. I don't know that we had a server assigned to our table, as both of the servers working came to our table at various times, and it seemed as if they each thought the other was taking care of us. And, they charged us $6.00 to uncork our wine, and then didn't even save our cork!! We will be back though, the food was THAT good.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My issue (and everybody else's issue at the table) was trying to decide between which delicious item on the menu to order!! It's not even like the menu is too large either, it is just that everything sounds (and IS) delicious. We went for a birthday party and the service was outstanding. I brought a cake and the waitress brought it to the back for us, brought it out at the proper time with candles lit and cut and served us. I also enjoy that it is BYOB for a nominal corking fee. It isn't cheap but for a nice night out, I highly recommend it.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had heard for some time about Urbano Cafe and had just not gotten to trying it until we had dinner with some old friends here Saturday night. We had a reservation at 8, and were seated promptly. Of course, there is no bar (or anywhere else) to wait.

The place is tiny, maybe 12 small tables. There is not much in the way of decor, but like the title says, it's all about the food. The place is so tiny that you walk through the kitchen (smaller than mine) to get to the one bathroom.

We had two appetizers for the table; risotto balls and mussels. The risotto balls were not really arancini as there was no cheese and the sauce was much spicier (and used more sparingly) than the typical marinara. The mussels were excellent, swimming in a tasty tomato broth. The Mussels were so fresh and tender and the broth was sublime. The only issue was there was not enough bread to sop up that nectar!

The dinner menu is relatively short, but on the night we dinned at Urbano there was a lengthy list of specials. I had the stuffed pork chop and it was good. My wife had a filet which I tried and it was good as well. All evening I coveted the veal shank that the guy from the other couple had. He polished it off and said it was excellent. He also ordered blue cheese mac and cheese for the table. Awesome if you like blue cheese. His wife had a fish dish that she enjoyed.

We shared a salted caramel flan which was amazing and a chocolate souffle that was also very good.

Urbano is strictly BYOB with a $3 corkage fee. I really like that as you don't pay the wine mark-up. Service was excellent. Just the right amount of attention and the meal was paced very nicely.

We just have found a new favorite place!

1  Thank Paul P
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Don't let the less than glamorous neighborhood dissuade you from this fabulous East Dallas Restaurant. The waitress was personable and quite responsive. The entrees and aperitifs were elegantly presented and very flavorful.
We enjoyed bringing our own bottles of vine. This made the whole outing reasonably priced.
We intend to make this one of regular outings.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have dined at this restaurant quite a few times, both at nights but also as a great place to take clients for lunch. What better place to celebrate my mother's birthday, or so I thought? Big mistake. We made a reservation and walked in and were seated next to a table of girls, looked to be early twenties. They were loud...and I mean very loud. Now I admit this is not their fault, as the restaurant is small and does not possess the typical sound proofing one would expect in an all concrete room. We asked if anything could be said to them and we were told that no, nothing could be said. We sat there and could not speak to one another, even those we were seated right next to. At this point, the table seated next to us let us know that four other tables had already left due to the noise. My complaint is that this restaurant would rather cater to the table of ten versus the four of us and the four other tables that left. I by no means want the loud table to leave or be kicked out, but saying you cannot ask another table to keep it down for the enjoyment of the rest of the restaurant shows me that they have no idea how to run a restaurant. In the past, the food has been good, ambiance mediocre, has always been on the loud side, but you made it work because it was consistently good. We instead packed up and took our money to the Capital Grille where we were able to dine in a quiet, upscale atmosphere without the screeching from the table next to us. I for one will not be returning and am more than happy to let others know about my experience, via tripadvsior and other venues. There are far too many restaurants in Dallas that need and appreciate my business to worry about going back to somewhere that so obviously would prefer their ten-tops to the five tables they ran out that night.

2  Thank ad69iuu

Been to Urbano Cafe? Share your experiences!