“Good for kids aged 5-12” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Dallas CityPASS
Ranked #5 of 229 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Good for kids aged 5-12”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went at 12:30 on a weekday, and crowds were still heavy in some exhibits, but they began to thin out by about 2 PM. I would not attempt this museum on a weekend or holiday. I think it is most appropriate for kids aged 5 to 12. There are a wide variety of exhibits with many hands-on opportunities, but not much more science than you would have learned by 9th grade. They advise starting at the top (a non-stop escalator takes you to the 4th floor) and then working your way down, but I think going in the opposite direction would have meant smaller crowds. Exhibits halls include dinosaurs, birds, fracking (the most boring for the kids), inventions (lots of hands on stuff here), gems, genetics, adaptations, and the sports hall (my son's favorite because he got to do a timed race against his sibling and do a sports move of his choice and then watch the video playback of his accomplishment in slow motion side by side a professional athlete).

If we went again, we would not bother to purchase the horribly overpriced World's Largest Dinosaurs special exhibit. This exhibit, for an extra $6 PER adult and $5 PER child (if bought separately), included only a few models (not even real skeletons, except for one leg), a fossil dig pit (the kids did enjoy that), and a small gift shop (in case the main gift shop wasn't temptation enough for your kids). We did not try the Design and Create special exhibit, so I can't comment on that.

The kids enjoyed themselves, and we will definitely be back to focus on the area where we didn't get to spend enough time. We didn't go into the children's museum (in the basement), but it looked to be geared toward the under 8 set. An overpriced café is available with a decent but pricey selection. Eat before you arrive. Bring a change of shorts for the kids because they will likely want to splash in the water outside in the mini-river by the leap frog structures. A sign there implores children not to jump or climb on the frogs. Are they serious?

We spent $84 for the 21-minute 3D dinosaur movie, exhibits, and World's Largest Dinosaurs combo for 2 adults and 2 kids, plus $8 for parking – a bit pricey overall for a museum experience, but we spent a good 3.5 hours there, and would have spent 5 if I had just been with my daughter (9-11 is the most ideal age for this museum, I'd say.)

Visited June 2014

New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

This is one of the best museums we have ever visited. Our teenage
grandsons loved it. There were a lot of interactive exhibits. It definitely lived up to our expectations.

1 Thank celine135
Kansas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unique museum. Worth a visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

We decided to visit this museum because it was pouring while we were in Dallas and needed an indoor activity. We took 3 adults and 3 kids. I will start by dating the seven year old enjoyed it the most. We arrived around 1 pm and when we first got there, it was very difficult to do any of the interactive exhibits. Howeve, as closing neared, the crowd really thinned out which made it more enjoyable. The architecture of the museum is very unique. My oldest daughter and I are not exactly fascinated by science so we didn't always want to read everything - however we did appreciate the exhibits just found them a little mundane after While. The best parts were the really interactive ones of course! My 7 year old daughter really loved he sports hall and the dinosaur collection is impressive. Definitely worth a trip. We spent half a day and we saw all of the floors.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank laem
Plano, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Too fantastic for words”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Incredibly interesting interactive exhibits. I took several out-of-town guests to the Museum and they were in awe. It is a not to miss experience.

2 Thank Sharlene S
“Awesome Museum!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

We went for Spring Break my son loved the dinosaur exhibit and all the other interactive things he could do. I would most definitely visit again.

Visited March 2014

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!