“Take children with you”

and up
Dallas CityPASS
Ranked #10 of 253 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good museum for children to learn about science and nature having fun. If you are taking teens with you, tell them to watch the videos with different professionals talking about their careers, why they chose that area to study. it's about passion.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,024)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"across the street"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2013

While visiting a friend in the Dallas area we decided to take the kids (two 9 year old girls and a 13 year old boy) to the Perot Museum on a 100 degree day. We wisely bought our tickets on line the night before. The entrance times are printed on your ticket and available every 30 minutes. We had originally planned to see a movie first and then enter the museum. Since traffic was not on our side, we were late for our movie time. We were able to switch to the next movie at the customer service desk, but needed to kill 30 minutes before our entry time. Bathroom break and window shopping in the gift shop did the trick. We had enough time to do the Sports area of the museum before our movie time. The girls raced a TRex in a sprint and took slow move photos to compare to a pro. In addition to other hands on and listening exhibits. It was just the right size for the time we had. The film about the solar system weather was ok for a 20 minute movie. Learned some things, but not information overload.
After we ate lunch in the cafe. I'm a vegetarian with Type 1 Diabetes and I was able to fill my plate with veggies and salad (and shared sweet potato fries). Burgers, pizza, mac and cheese, dessert choices. Nothing special, but felt like I had healthy choices. We decided to start at the top of the museum and work our way down. All the different sections were sized about right for a child's attention span and an adult's patience. While we didn't do each thing in each area, we were there for 5 hours and didn't hear one complaint out of our kids. All-in-all a good day.

1  Thank jlc72
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I suppose I'm just a fan of Fair Park's museums. it's open and has plenty of running room, inside and out. This museum seems small and a bit cramped. The different floors are small and appear more so when they are teaming with a hundred children running around. Plan on dealing with bus loads of school kids if attending before 1:30 during the school year. Staff is ok. Place is clean and new though some of the exhibits might have not survived some kids pounding them. I'm not too hip on the location as well. Happy that's it's close to one of the original El Fenix restaurants. We have a membership, pretty sure we won't be renewing it.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We visited the Perot Museum on a busy Tuesday, there were a lot of children's groups visiting for the summer and the tickets were sold out for a good portion of the day. I did not know what to expect but the design and layout of the building is excellent and it easily accommodates the large number of visitors. Everything flows very nicely and you never feel crowded or rushed. There is plenty of room for strollers, wide hallways, the option to go between floors using the stairs or the huge elevators (which are see-through and really cool), overall the design of the building is not just aesthetically pleasing but extremely functional. It was easy to move around the floors and revisit exhibits that we wanted to see more than once. The museum exhibits are engaging and entertaining for both the younger and older children as well as adults and we could have easily spent another 2-3 hours there and will definitely be returning. Both of my kids' favorite was where they could race the T-Rex, a cheetah, or local athletes. The price for the museum is reasonable, there is also a café at the entrance but we did not eat there, maybe next time. The staff and volunteers are very friendly and helpful. I have been visiting the museum since I was a child when it was located in Fair Park and while I miss the old building there is no doubt that this is a fantastic addition to the downtown area in so many ways and a long overdue upgrade for the museum.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went to the Perot Museum on a Tuesday (8/6/13). I wasn't sure how to arrange the times of the tickets I purchased in advance. I purchased the movie "Waking the T-Rex" at 10:40am, enter time of the exhibit at 11:30am, and the Recycle Reef at 3:00pm. We arrived about 10:20am. Parking was easy and the lot wasn't full yet. We saw that the exhibits were sold out until after noon, so glad we purchased in advance. I thought "Waking the T-Rex" was interesting, but my daughter, who is 8, thought it was horrible! I did think it was a bit too graphic for young children. Lots of animals getting eaten and getting the visual of their guts getting ripped out of them was a bit too much! The exhibits were easy to navigate through, but it was very crowded. All of the interactive exhibits had kids crowding them, as to be expected. The engineering area had the most interactive exhibits, but the kids would take too long on them. Our 8 year old didn't want to wait in lines, and the lines were really long for the more elaborate exhibits like the bio lab and racing the T-Rex. The bio lab wait was about an hour! Also, some of the interactive exhibits were not working. We finished two floors rather quickly, then decided to have lunch before completing the rest, especially since I had booked the recycle reef at 3pm. Lunch was ok, but expensive! We ate there. Three drinks, two cupcakes, two burgers, one French fry, and one pepperoni pizza = $40! The cupcakes were gross....not worth the $3.00 a piece. The pizza was good. The café was very crowded and it was hard finding a table to sit. After lunch, we quickly finished the last two levels and asked the guy at the recycle reef if we could go in early (it was around 1:30pm by the time). Fortunately, he let us in early. We enjoyed this part the most. We were done with our projects and out of there by 2pm. Our daughter seemed to enjoy it (except for the movie). My husband and I didn't think it was that exciting at all. It was good to go to once, but we won't go again. I'd recommend going during the school year, if possible, while most of the kids are in school. We did see a lot of people with strollers outside the exhibits, but I don't recall that being much of a problem while we were in the exhibit. Since you can leave the exhibit area and go back in, I'd recommend booking any of the additional things, such as the movie or the traveling exhibit, to occur during the time you will be in the exhibit area.

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!