“Great place to spend a day”

Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Book In Advance
More Info
$48.00*
and up
Dallas CityPASS
Ranked #5 of 251 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We visited the Perot Museum on a busy Tuesday, there were a lot of children's groups visiting for the summer and the tickets were sold out for a good portion of the day. I did not know what to expect but the design and layout of the building is excellent and it easily accommodates the large number of visitors. Everything flows very nicely and you never feel crowded or rushed. There is plenty of room for strollers, wide hallways, the option to go between floors using the stairs or the huge elevators (which are see-through and really cool), overall the design of the building is not just aesthetically pleasing but extremely functional. It was easy to move around the floors and revisit exhibits that we wanted to see more than once. The museum exhibits are engaging and entertaining for both the younger and older children as well as adults and we could have easily spent another 2-3 hours there and will definitely be returning. Both of my kids' favorite was where they could race the T-Rex, a cheetah, or local athletes. The price for the museum is reasonable, there is also a café at the entrance but we did not eat there, maybe next time. The staff and volunteers are very friendly and helpful. I have been visiting the museum since I was a child when it was located in Fair Park and while I miss the old building there is no doubt that this is a fantastic addition to the downtown area in so many ways and a long overdue upgrade for the museum.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,974)

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went to the Perot Museum on a Tuesday (8/6/13). I wasn't sure how to arrange the times of the tickets I purchased in advance. I purchased the movie "Waking the T-Rex" at 10:40am, enter time of the exhibit at 11:30am, and the Recycle Reef at 3:00pm. We arrived about 10:20am. Parking was easy and the lot wasn't full yet. We saw that the exhibits were sold out until after noon, so glad we purchased in advance. I thought "Waking the T-Rex" was interesting, but my daughter, who is 8, thought it was horrible! I did think it was a bit too graphic for young children. Lots of animals getting eaten and getting the visual of their guts getting ripped out of them was a bit too much! The exhibits were easy to navigate through, but it was very crowded. All of the interactive exhibits had kids crowding them, as to be expected. The engineering area had the most interactive exhibits, but the kids would take too long on them. Our 8 year old didn't want to wait in lines, and the lines were really long for the more elaborate exhibits like the bio lab and racing the T-Rex. The bio lab wait was about an hour! Also, some of the interactive exhibits were not working. We finished two floors rather quickly, then decided to have lunch before completing the rest, especially since I had booked the recycle reef at 3pm. Lunch was ok, but expensive! We ate there. Three drinks, two cupcakes, two burgers, one French fry, and one pepperoni pizza = $40! The cupcakes were gross....not worth the $3.00 a piece. The pizza was good. The café was very crowded and it was hard finding a table to sit. After lunch, we quickly finished the last two levels and asked the guy at the recycle reef if we could go in early (it was around 1:30pm by the time). Fortunately, he let us in early. We enjoyed this part the most. We were done with our projects and out of there by 2pm. Our daughter seemed to enjoy it (except for the movie). My husband and I didn't think it was that exciting at all. It was good to go to once, but we won't go again. I'd recommend going during the school year, if possible, while most of the kids are in school. We did see a lot of people with strollers outside the exhibits, but I don't recall that being much of a problem while we were in the exhibit. Since you can leave the exhibit area and go back in, I'd recommend booking any of the additional things, such as the movie or the traveling exhibit, to occur during the time you will be in the exhibit area.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great place for kids of all ages. Big, and roomy to accomodate a lot of running children without being too crowded. Lots of hands-on exhibits. They have stuff for kids of all ages. Geared for kids under teenage years.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We have taken several of our visiting guests to the Perot and they love it. The interactive exhibits make it fun for all of the kids and the difficulty levels make it so that different ages are able to find exhibits that are engaging for them. The last group we took had kids ages 3, 5, 8, and 11 - all of them said it was awesome. We generally spend about 3 to 3.5 hours total (including a 30 minute break at the cafeteria). The only drawback at the Perot - the elevators. They take forever! So unless you truly need (strollers, wheelchair, etc) to use the elevator, plan on using the stairs and escalator.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Took the family to visit the museum for a staycation before school started back up. This place catches yur attention as soon as you pull up. There are several exhibits and plenty to do from movies and different exhibits. The place is very popular and very CROWDED, but moving through the exhibits and between floors was well designed. I would suggest going when school starts to reduce the crowds.

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!