“Perot Museum of Nature and Science”

Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Ranked #4 of 243 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took my 10 year old grand-daughter to the Perot Museum/Dallas during spring break. The building and attractions are new and beautiful. It is five stories of amazing exhibits and many wonderful interactive things for kids to do. I loved the dinosaurs and large turtle skeletons. Grand-daughter was amazed with the 35 foot petrified tree and various pertrified poop. The gem area is soooo fascinating - they had a 6-7 foot tall amethyst geo cut in half. The museum is usually sold out; purchase/print tickets on line. It was very crowded due to spring break. The museum assign a time for you to enter; I would like to return at a quieter time. The 30 minute 3-D movie (fee) on weather on other planets was new to us. I think pre-teen and teens would enjoy it.

1  Thank Grannylois
There are newer reviews for Perot Museum of Nature and Science

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was looking forward to visiting the new Perot Science Musuem but after going twice- once when crowded and once while mostly uncrowded, BUT I ended up being disappointed overall.

AGAIN I have been to some of the best museums in the world -- British Museum in London,
Capitoline Museum in Rome, Natural Science museums in NYC, SF, Chicago, etc.
And the wonderful 'hands-on' San Francisco Exploratorium dozens of times.
SO I was hoping Dallas was finally going to have a real world class museum. But no luck.

The Perot Museum is a pretty good small museum for a regional US city. Just not world class.
And for a large US city with such a large Hispanic population, I was shocked that all the
Exhibits were only in English. The Perot staff needs to go see the wonderful Monterey Aquarium in California with the multi-lingual exhibits at ALL exhibits to see how a world-class museum is available for international guests and the local Spanish speaking population to enjoy too.

Dallas publics schools are what? maybe 70% Hispanic. Yet not one exhibit is in Spanish.
The City of Dallas has what? Maybe a 40% Hispanic population. Yet not one exhibit in Spanish at the Perot Museum.

Some "international city" isn't it?

The way to get to the top floor, as that's where one starts, is crazy. Blank walls and walking around to the next set of escalators was a very poor design. NEVER seen that before in any museum.

Compare the Perot Museum escalator to the enchanting wonderful escalator at London's Natural History Museum. No comparison. The London Natural History Museum escalator is a world-class
feature, while the Perot Museum escalator is like an empty shopping mall escalator.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I bought my son and his family annual passes (it was actually cheaper this way) and 11 of us visited on the day after Christmas. We purchased advance parking spots so parking was easy and close. We started with the dinosaur room as that was our primary reason for visiting. It was a wonderful exhibit, life size fossils surrounded by informational signs and other fossils, real dinosaur footprints, all very nicely done. Attached was the bird area which was designed for kids to have fun in. We also visited the gem and rock area but the "energy" area was kind of boring to us. We ran out of time to see the animal floor (bummer) but the kids enjoyed playing in the first floor play area. It was very entertaining and hope my son takes advantage of his annual pass to return another time.

2  Thank MarquetteSandD
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Wow. Complete opposite of the reviewer below me. Bought my tickets the night before online. Since it was spring break they are open until 9. Not too many time slots were open but the 6:30 slot for entry was open and we took it. As it turns out that worked out nicely for us. We had a fun day in Dallas at Northpark Mall, stopped by Sprinkles for some fun cupcakes and then headed down Central for the museum. We were early and driving around downtown reminded me of the new Kane park that had just opened so we parked the car and walked around the park for awhile. We also had a nice early dinner from one of the food trucks. I wish I had familiarized myself a bit with the parking layout of the area ahead of time. I was unsure of how far we were from the Perot museum and how lighting would be at night when we were done...ultimately I reparked the car closer to the museum so this cost us some extra $$.

Parking was kind of a mess. Took me awhile to get a handle on the one way streets under the freeway where all the parking is located. Once we did that though, the rest was a breeze. We went to the Meerkats 3D movie which was interesting but short and then headed into the museum. I have a teenage daughter so we skipped the lower level of the museum and headed straight up the glassed in elevator. Very cool! The whole museum is just beautiful with a naturalistic architecture design and clean smooth lines. We just started on the top floor and worked out way down.

Great dinosaur fossils, interesting rock area, fun interactive bird exhibit area where you can create your own digital bird. Don't skip the bird/3d/flight simulator...very fun experience! Geology area was interesting too although heavy on the reading. The earthquake simulator gave a different perspective on how different levels of earthquakes actually "feel."

I work in healthcare so I was sad when we got to the anatomy/biology/physiology level and didn't have much time to explore. The Bio lab area looked really neat and the anatomical "slices" really brought anatomy to life. We will definitely have to come back to do all the stuff we missed. We spent a solid 3 hours there and it wasn't nearly enough.

I would not bring little brothers/sisters but that might just be me. It looked hard to push around a stroller and if you have an older kid who really wants to do the stuff and read the info and not just whiz through the experience it kind of rips them off to have breeze through because of a little sib.

The food in the cafe = we didn't eat there but it looked ok. The salads looked good. Interesting standard gift shop.

1  Thank jrt55857
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is a beautiful new structure in Dallas, but I was less impressed with the exhibits. Maybe I expected too much hearing it praised while being finished. Many school kids are visiting daily and that causes crowding and noise! Will try it again after the new wears off and see if my impression changes.

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!