“Seemed small & crowded on a weekday”

Perot Museum of Nature and Science
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Dallas CityPASS
Ranked #9 of 252 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspiring minds through nature and science.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is a beautiful new structure in Dallas, but I was less impressed with the exhibits. Maybe I expected too much hearing it praised while being finished. Many school kids are visiting daily and that causes crowding and noise! Will try it again after the new wears off and see if my impression changes.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,001)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"across the street"
in 48 reviews

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were really excited about visiting the Perot and actually purchased our tickets in advance online. When we got there the place was incredibly crowded and the flow of the people coming in and out seemed disorganized. It would be nice if they created an express line or something of the sort for people that purchased their tickets in advance. It was a Sunday and I would imagine that it would be less crowded and more enjoyable on a weekday, but it was so crowded on the day we were there that there was no way to stop and look at all of the exhibits and interactive attractions. The one thing I remember that was impressive was the machine that simulated a storm with a tornado forming, other than that most of it was kind of a blur. Even though there is an exhibit hall that holds a childrens' museum, I felt like the museum as a whole was geared more towards kids. We saw the 3D movie Sea Monsters and it was probably the best part of the whole visit. The cafe they have was over-priced ($17.50 for 2 child sized order of fries and chicken strips and 2 12 oz. drinks), and the gift shop was quite over-priced as well. We would consider going back if they had a special exhibit we would like to see, but will NEVER go back on a weekend or holiday.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I spent 3 hours viewing the exhibits, but to thoroughly investigate all the hands-on opportunities would take 9-12 hours. The optimal age for children to enjoy the museum is 6-12 years old, with 8-9 being the best. A child should have at least some introduction to science and be able to read to get the most from the museum, although you can certainly explain the exhibits to them. There is a smaller children's museum on the lower level, and what child doesn't want to see dinosaur bones?
The cost is $15 for adults and $10 for children over 2 plus the cost of the theater showings, $5 for one (30 min) or $8 for 2 (1 hr). Lunch is available in the cafe and there is an outdoor exploration and play area. Parking is $6.

1  Thank capitollover
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I attended the Perot Museum on a Saturday; a birthday party for my friend's 4 year old son, and I was shocked a the lack of parking available in the are. They had a number of parking lots that were unattended and marked as full, although there were psaces available. My friend had greeat didficulty having someon get back to her in terms of picking a date and setting up the party, adn when we arrived, after chcking in at the Concierge desk, she was tolsd to go downstiars and pick up wristbands for her guests, but she could not pick up all the bands at once; for some unknown reason, this was not allowed, so her guests had to come back donwstairs to pick up their bands, all to attend a birthday party. It was so crowded, and full of so many excited, screaming, wiggling, children, it was nearly overwhelming. The space itself is very cool, but it would have been nice if thoughtful planning had gone into parking, elevators/space, hospitality areas, etc...
I realize it is still new, and everyone wants to visit, but it would be nice if logistics had been considered. They stagger visiting, even if one is a member, and regularly sell out of tickets for a weekend day. In the room we were given to host the party, we had someone from the museum "helping " us. She was very nice, but they did not have things like paper towels or mops available.
I feel that the logistical concerns were not well planned, and my friend does not plan on returning for several months, and she became a member to help defray birthday party costs.

4  Thank Bete87
See more reviews
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This building rocks from the outside to the inside - literally! This museum has the greatest and most beautiful set of rocks and gems I have ever seen. From unusual to common and they are displayed beautifully. One huge geode is split and you can turn a crank and see how an ugly rock goes to a beautiful display of natural amethyst crystals.
I have to say this is a great place for kids but a little dull for adults unless you are really into how storms happen and how to drill.
For kids this place is super interactive, you can stand in front of a green screen and forcast the weather in a fake snow rain or hail storm. You can also stand on a platform and pick your strength of earthquake and stand through it as the platform shakes. Lots of fun for kids and interesting for adults.

Been to Perot Museum of Nature and Science? Share your experiences!