“Beautiful, modern setting for opera and ballet”

Winspear Opera House
Ranked #32 of 229 things to do in Dallas
Lewisville, Texas
256 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 326 helpful votes
“Beautiful, modern setting for opera and ballet”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I went here with my wife to see the Joffrey Ballet. It is a beautiful, modern, somewhat compact opera theater. The interior has an amazing retractable chandelier - down for seating, then disappears into the ceiling for the presentation. The lighting and acoustics were very good. The lobby areas were open and well designed, as were the convenient underground parking areas.

I look forward to going again for an opera.

Visited January 2013

Grand Island, Nebraska
175 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 364 helpful votes
“Love the design and great acoustics”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A tasteful and modern design make this opera house a pleasure even if you are doing nothing more than sitting in it. We saw a wonderful performance of Madama Butterfly here and loved it. Being a fan of architecture, I had a hard time taking my eyes off the lines of the building and its gorgeous layout. I particularly like the streams of light that descend from the ceiling like a cavalcade of stars.

Visited September 2011
Lewisville, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Up-and-coming section of Dallas”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My fiance and I went to see the American Idiot musical here one Saturday night and didn't know what to expect from this theater. First off, this place is gorgeous. Very modern, red's and gray's, the entire lobby is floor-to-ceiling glass looking out onto another theater and a lawn. We chose to take the DART and walk, which is about a 5 minutes walk to the entrance from the station, but they do have underground parking at the center for $15 that takes you right to the entrance of the venue. Or if you want, we saw $5 parking right down the street.
People greeted us at the front and directed us to how to get to our seats, using either an elevator or the stairs. There are bars on each of the floors (except the Mezzanine, but it was a short walk up to the next floor to get drinks), and I enjoyed a $12 "Whatshername" cocktail and my fiance a beer $6, which is about the prices we expected for such a nice venue. It would be also nice if they had some sort of food at the bars, just some sort of finger foods we could eat with our drinks. I thought I had read somewhere about a cafe at the theater but did not see anything of the sorts.
We had $90 seats in the Mezzanine, a little left of the middle, and had a great view of the stage. I feel though if we had been a little higher up we wouldn't of been able to see much detail, which is sometimes needed during a performance. The theater itself is beautiful, with a retractable LED chandelier in the middle the raised right before the performance. The seats couldv'e had a little more room between them and the ones in front of them, as we had to stand everytime someone wanted by instead of just being able to slide to the side. The seats were comfortable enough, no cupholders though for drinks, and we never saw a sign or were told we weren't supposed to take drinks in. Acoustics were great, no complaints.
After the show we went to find somewhere within walking distance to eat, but were disappointed at the number of places nearby to eat. At the One Art Plaza there were a few eat places, but they all closed at 11pm (on a Saturday), and on the pricey side for the quality of food. I hope next time we visit, the area will have grown a little more and have more to do around the theater after the performance.
Overall, it's a little pricey of a night based on the overall experience with the theater and surrounding area, but a great experience to do maybe a couple of times a year. I would probably give it more like 2.5 stars if I could.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank StefRN10
Plano, TX
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Winspear Opera House”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

A totally fantastic venue! Acoustics are magnificent. I love the intimacy of the hall. Parking, ingress and egress are well done.

Visited April 2012