“Excellent down home cooking...”
Review of Ellen's

Ellen's
Ranked #17 of 3,614 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Portland, Maine
“Excellent down home cooking...”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The Buttermilk PIe is to die for!!! Need I say more?
The food was delicious and the atmosphere is very contemporary although the tables are squeezed close together because it is not a very big place. However everything worked. This is a must try if your in Dallas.

“Love this place”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The service was so good!!! Food and drinks were great!!! The chicken fried steak was amazing sides were great and when the check hit the table I was shocked how cheap it was. This is a great place in the west end.

“Awesome place for foodies and non-foodies alike!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went to Ellen's for the second time yesterday. It was soooo good! First of all, the ambience is great. It's nestled in the West End part of Downtown Dallas with a great view of the Margaret Hunt-Hill bridge. It's a small-ish restaurant with nice decor. They serve breakfast all-day as well, and they have a full bar and an extensive coffee/tea menu. The first time we went, I had the meat loaf with braised greens and smoked macaroni and cheese. My greens were sooo good! I noticed that they were rainbow chards with pancetta, button mushrooms, and shallots... sooo good. Last night, I opted for breakfast . I had the cheese grits with hickory-smoked bacon, spinach, and poached eggs. It sounds like an interesting combination and it was delicious! Those grits were perfect. I will post pics soon. My husband had the blackened catfish with mac n cheese and he requested some spinach, which they made for him. Alhough we had a Groupon both times that we went to Ellen's, it's not necessary. The dinner entrees are in the teens regarding price.

Parking is $5. We've gone on a week-night both times, but I hear that there is usually a line for breakfast on the weekends. It is worth it! In addition to great food, we've had awesome servers as well!

3 Thank ARob623
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Warm & Inviting”
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Ellen's Southern Kitchen is a little jewel just waiting to be discovered! Located in the historic downtown Dallas area, it was an easy walk from our hotel. The morning was brisk and the warm and inviting greeting and hot coffee were very much appreciated.

We ordered the mushroom garlic toast (crunchy bread with sliced garlic, mushrooms, crispy bacon and scrambled eggs topped with goat cheese & chives) And the pork tinga (spicy pulled pork with crispy potatoes, scrambled egg, avocado, cheese and flour tortillas). WOW - what can I say? The favors were delicious and everything was cooked perfectly. Wish we were going to be in Dallas longer, we would definitely go back.

Dallas, Texas
“Good southern food!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Tried Ellen's with the kids before a game at the American Airlines center. They had something for everyone. Chicken fried chicken was great & sausage omelette was "too die for". I'm going back for the fried tomato salad or the fried chicken - it will be a tough decision. Did i mention the banana pudding was seriously good? Just remember to work out before you go, portions are huge! Thanks to Jacob for providing great service.

One more comment, we had a pre-paid meal voucher but did not use the full $ amount on our meal. They offered without our asking to make something we could take home so that the full amount would be used. That's what we call great customer service!