“Great place”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Pie Town, New Mexico
“Great place”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I really like this place. I've had better brisket at Pecan Lodge, and maybe it's not going to compete with the places in Lockhart, but it's the consistently best all-around barbeque place I've been to in Dallas. I favor the ribs and the hot links, the fries are great, so's the fried okra, and the guy behind the counter really is Mac, a real pitmaster. He and his wife run the place. It has a real homey feel, hasn't been renovated since the day it opened in the late '60s (it appears) but it's not run-down, just comfortably broken in. Very welcoming and satisfying. You can't go wrong with it.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank JFawl

Spokane, WA
“Great grub!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Wife and I had lunch here today, visited with Billy a little, and had a wonderful lunch. We tried sausage, jalapeño sausage, beef, cole slaw (mediocre), and fried okra (awesome!). Billy even gave us a couple ribs to try since we are tourist. We would not hesitate to go back!!

3 Thank Griz59
Boston, MA
“NEVER DRIVE PASS THIS PLACE FOR BBQ!!! Only opens for lunch.”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My buddy and I have been Barbecuing for decades, he has competed nationally and won many times, I am more of an amateur – This is just too tell you I know BBQ. This place is only open for lunch, so as we were looking for a place to eat (was looking for Tex-Mex) we saw Mac’s BBQ, we had always heard about it; in BBQ circles, people know this place it is supposed to be good and old. It is simply decorated and cafeteria style, but it is a BBQ joint, I did not expect anything else.

It was perfect in everyway!!! They have been around since the 50s and now I know why. I know most of the BBQ locations in Dallas and I have eaten at many of them, but as an enthusiast, I will have to say this is one of, if not the best BBQ in Dallas; sorry Sonny B, you are now a close second.

The ribs were moist, with a nice crispy (not burned) crust; the brisket was moist and tender and not overcooked, the jalapeno sausage was not too fatty and yet delicious. This guy is a master. If you are in Downtown Dallas for lunch, you would be making a mistake if you go somewhere else for BBQ. I know I wont.

• Visited September 2012