“Too much glare”

Ranked #18 of 248 things to do in Dallas
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Raymond and Patsy Nasher Collection includes more than 300 sculptures by most of the 20th century's greatest talents, including Rodin, Calder, de Kooning, Giacometti, Matisse, Miró, Picasso and Serra.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The collection is interesting, but there is way too much glare from the neighboring condo tower. Summer at the Center is really bright and takes away from the overall experience.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Great summer event. On several Friday nights throughout the spring, summer and fall, the Nasher throws open its doors for a free bash on their lawn. I'll confess, modern sculpture is not my favorite art, so I don't visit as often as a local should, but it is a lovely building and the garden is really something special. I did stroll through the collection and appreciated work by artists I recognized and several whimsical pieces that didn't need interpretation.

I read the review by the guy that said there wasn't much on view, but whatever caused that (pieces out on loan maybe or between special exhibitions maybe) is resolved. However, the interior collection is nothing compared to the sculpture garden. The sculpture out there is great, but the gardens and fountains make it spectacular.

And the concert made it even better. Humans spread their blankets out on the grass among the artist's works. A band entertained the crowd without blasting us into next week while kids frolicked on the dance floor. We really enjoyed it.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took some out of town friends and were in disbelief in what we were seeing, or should I say weren't seeing. We had last been to Nasher aprroximately 1 year ago and enjoyed it immensely, so we thought this would be a good place to take our freinds from out of town. There were very few sculptures on display and the "empty feeling" you had while touring was quite prominent. Not exactly sure what was going on, but they should have warned their guests ahead of time that they were either "in between" exhibits or something. All of us wanted our money back, but just decided to let it go. An absolute joke and it'll be a long time before we go back.

2  Thank Bob P
Reviewed May 29, 2013

World class art in downtown Dallas. Serene setting in urban hustle. An opportunity to view & admire wonderful sculptures. Indoor and outdoor displays. Good for all ages.

1  Thank Donna W
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is a lovely melding of sculpture with the natural art of nature. We visited during a time when the inside exhibit halls were being renovated and so only paid half-price for our visit. I am not an expert on art, but I loved the way that the natural setting and sculptures were combined. The building housing the inside exhibits was designed by Renzo Piano and makes wonderful use of light and materials to show the collection at it's best. The gift shop has a nice selection with something for every price point. The Nasher Café has exceptional food, so make time for lunch or a snack. I highly recommend this lovely museum.

1  Thank MomRocco

Been to Nasher Sculpture Center? Share your experiences!