“Pleasant business stay, good rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dallas Marriott City Center

Dallas Marriott City Center
Ranked #41 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Pleasant business stay, good rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spent 5 nights here as part of a conference. I particularly liked the room for its contemporary look and very roomy desk on which to work. My 9th floor room overlooked he downtown area. I had good service, before 1pm most days. The hotel is in front of a rather nice Plaza and Downtown Mall which has a small food court (Blimpie, Taco Bell, KFC) although they close early (7pm) but the mall is spacious and airy and provides a very convenient skywalk to the Sheraton and it's meeting rooms.
The bed was above average and the water was very hot. I liked the lobby area with its convenient bar, bar service and restaurant. The hotel does not have an expansive feel to it like other Marriott hotels I have stayed at but the staff members were polite and friendly. My criticism would be that it is a few minutes walk to the "Main Street" area of downtown for restaurants but the streets felt safe and are clean, for the most part. I would recommend this hotel.

Green Features: Marriott strive for environmentally friendly practices so in comparison to other hotels in this price range, I was satisfied.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

Spent 3 nights. Room was clean and modern/up-to-date. TV was 40" HD with decent channel selection. Concierge lounge was nice with decent food. The fajitas on Wednesday night were real good. Staff was very helpful and attentive. Good location for downtown Dallas. Streets roll up downtown at 6:00. There are some (not a lot) places to go that are a bit of a walk but not bad. The mall attached to the hotel is empty at night, which is too bad. The hotel bar staff was very nice and domestic beers were not overly expensive for a hotel bar ($5.00 bottle). When/if I go back to Dallas I would stay there again. If there was one complaint, and this is real real picky, was the beep in the elevator as you went from floor to floor. (could not hear in room) It was high pitched and too loud and got annoying (nails on a blackboard annoying). Was I right that this is picky??? The West End has declined since the last time I was there. Building Vacancies and a fair amount of street people/loitering . There was a noticeable police presence and private security. We did not feel fearful or concerned with safety, just that a heightened awareness is needed.

Monte Nido, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I was not impressed. Everything about this place screamed of average Marriott with nothing more than that. The food was average, the location, contrary to many of the reviews, I found to be poor in the sense that there was nothing interesting within walking distance. Yes, there is the museum and theater nearby, but they are like islands in the middle of a few skyscrapers.

Did I mention how bad the internet was? Not just for 1/2 a day, but the whole 4 days I was there...terrible - with long, long waits for technical assistance who did nothing.

at least the staff was friendly

Green Features: recycling can but no trash can except for bathroom
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dallas_Marriott, Front Office Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your stay. I am sorry that your experience with us was average and unimpressive; we strive to "wow" each and every guest and it disappoints me that we fell short in your case. In addition to the nearby museums and performance halls, we are within walking distance to the beautiful Klyde Warren Park where one can enjoy an assortment of food trucks and various daily activities such as yoga or zumba classes. The DART, a lightrail train system, neighbors the hotel and provides access to the historic West End and lively Main Street districts, where several restaurants and historic areas can be found and enjoyed. I am sorry that the internet connection was poor, and I have shared this information with our technicians so that other guests are not inconvenienced. If there are any additional details about your stay that you would like to share with me, please call the hotel directly at 214.979.9000. I hope that if your travels find you in Dallas again we may have the opportunity to serve you as our guest and provide you the flawless stay you deserve.

Jonathan Adrian
Front Office Supervisor
Hatfield, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently spent 2 nights at this hotel for a business trip. The room was clean, updated with many amenities such as an in-room safe, fridge and coffee maker. I had a room on the 10th floor with a balcony that overlooked the newly renovated indoor park. While this made the stay quiet due to no outside noise, it was eerily close to an office building with floor-to-ceiling windows. Since I wasn't in the room during business hours, this was not an issue, but if I had to spend any time in the room during that time, it would be a bit uncomfortable being "on display" for the local office workers. This isn't a deal-breaker - it is just kind of weird.

My collegue and I ate in the hotel restaurant both nights and the food was excellent and prices fairly reasonable for a hotel establishment. One should expect to pay a bit higher for the convenience of not having to leave the hotel, however, the wonderful food made up for the extra cost. Also, it was nice that the bar offered local craft beers instead of just the standards.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel for business travel.

Room Tip: If you plan on spending daytime hours in the room, I suggest asking for a room on the outside of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Medfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

The experience at this hotel happens before you arrive. I was contacted by a representative responsible for room allocation to confirm that I reserved the right room configuration. The hotel has everything you could want. Nice bar and restaraunt. The staff was very helpful in making sure that I had a great room and that I was happy with it. The room itself was very comfortable, spacious and well appointed. I was on a level that had access to the Concierge lounge. I have been to many Marriott lounges, but this was by far the most spacious and well appointed lounge. I happened to leave my cell phone charger behind. I didn't figure that out till I got to the airport. The front desk dispatched security to the room and they are shipping back to me. .... Thanks.

A nice extra would have been complimentary internet, but there was a daily charge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dallas_Marriott, Sr. Rooms Operations Manager at Dallas Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your recent TripAdvisor review of the Dallas Marriott City Center. On behalf of the entire staff, we are delighted that you chose our location. Our Front Office team is very proactive in engaging our guests before they arrive to ensure that all preferences are met. I am happy to see that we were able to accommodate your bed type preference. Our Loss Prevention team takes great pride in their lost and found process and the successful return of forgotten items to our guests. Again, thank you for your business; we hope to see you soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

The staff was exceptional. Stayed on the 14 the floor room over looked inside park area. Close to the city transit, we were able to park our car at the hotel and take the transit everywhere. Bar area was great place to hangout and meet some nice people from around the world. The PLACE to stay in Dallas!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your choice in hotels and thank you for the positive review. Our location is very near to the Pearl Street DART station, which allows our guests to take advantage of the city transportation at a minimal cost. When visiting downtown Dallas in the future, please stay with us again at the Dallas Marriott City Center.
McKinney, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Located just blocks away from the Arts District of downtown Dallas, this full service Marriott property is a delightful find. The staff was welcoming and attentive in every detail, another great example of their "Spirit to Serve". Though it is an older building, our room on the 15th floor was very well maintained with up to date decor and comfortable bed offering a great night's rest. There are a number of places to eat around the atrium or venture out just a few blocks north for some grand dining around the museums and theaters of Dallas. As it is in the midst of a number of downtown office towers, not all the shops and eateries in the atrium are open on the weekend. Note that the Marriott conference center is on the opposite side of the atrium from the hotel. There is not a direct route between the two so plan on a bit of a circuitous walk around the atrium. Our only complaint was that the staff of the hotel restaurant seemed completely unprepared for a number of events and one large conference that weekend. As such both the service and breakfast buffet suffered.

Room Tip: Rooms on the northeast side face the atrium. Those on the southwest face the city.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent stay at the Dallas Marriott City Center. We appreciate your kind words and the time you took out of your busy day to write a complimentary review. The hotel tower is connected to one side of the Plaza of the Americas building, which has a beautiful internal atrium. Our event space is located directly across the atrium with easy access via the walkway. I will share your comments about your breakfast service with my fellow leaders, I’m sorry we didn’t meet or exceed your expectations. We do hope that you will stay with us in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me on your next trip to Dallas. Meredith Innes, Sr. Rooms Operations Manager