“A great, but pricey business hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dallas Marriott City Center

Dallas Marriott City Center
Ranked #41 of 200 Hotels in Dallas
Los Angeles
“A great, but pricey business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

I had not been to this hotel in several years. It was previously a Westin and something else before that. Back then it was a serviceable business hotel. I chose it because of the proximity to my meeting location. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to discover how much care has gone into updating this hotel. The room was of a basic layout, but the beds, dressers, mirrors, lamps, etc., all felt new. The room was immaculate. It was one of the cleanest hotel rooms I've come across. It included a good-sized flat screen TV, which was a nice touch.

The service I received at check-in, and in responding to various questions I had about the area was excellent. I didn't have an opportunity to dine in their restaurant.

This is a very good business hotel. Be warned that it's not very close to the Dallas nightlife, but that's just a short cab ride away. Given the time of year (late January) and the location, I thought the price was high. All in all, though, it was a good experience and I would stay here again.

2 Thank SkyLordHeuksa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

This Marriott has just been renovated, so the spacious new rooms were a nice treat during my stay for business in Dallas. The hotel is clean, modern and very nice and I am giving all of that 4 stars. HOWEVER, my stay here was absolutely horrible. I happened to be staying here the night of a college prom-like event and the hotel (every floor) was occupied by noisy, drunken college kids. The hotel tried to control them, but there were so many that they could not be controlled and, to be honest, they were paying for so many rooms and suites, I don't think they wanted to loose money and kick them all out of the hotel. I called the front desk 4-5 times and had to move rooms 3 times, to 3 different floors - these kids were SO loud and running down the hallways with garbage cans filled to the brim with beer bottles. I think if I had stayed here any other weekend, things would have been fine (I loved the hotel).

Pros:
-Clean rooms that are modern and very spacious
-Comfortable, clean bed

Cons:
-Noise (but I think it was just a problem on this particular weekend)
-Location as there are not too many restaurants within walking distance

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank traveltrotter50
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

My friend and I spent 3 nights there for Dallas Market. First night we were tired so left the car with the valet (mandatory 23.00 a day) and went down to the one available restaurant. Nice lady seated us and we listened to the wind whistle thru for 30 minutes. After I got up and went back to the hostess, she at least got us some water (no ice, just water). We started visiting with the groups on either side of our table during dinner and they got the same service we did. After we were finally served, the food was great, except for the shrimp cocktail, which tasted a little strange. I thought it might be some unusual herbage in the boil,
but by midnight I was ill. There was a strange repetitive noise all night in the A/C fan. After letting them know about it, it was fixed the next day, and they said they could offer us breakfast. (Did not want more food)! Shower was great! The room was pretty clean except for the dust bunnies on the bathroom floor that got all over my slacks when changing clothes. Don't think we will be going back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mary W
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We stayed over a weekend and were pleased with the weekend rate that included breakfast.

The rooms were large and comfortable - ours overlooked the galleria and the indoor skating rink. The retail section of the galleria keeps 'office hours', so don't expect much open after 5pm. At the weekend this part of Dallas is "quiet". We chose the hotel because of its location to public transport and its proximity to the major Dallas art galleries and museums. From that perspective it worked well.

The breakfast buffet was "adequate", you wouldn't describe it as anything special, but it was fine. The service was prompt and efficient.

The hotel staff gave us a number of recommendations for dinner on our 3 nights - they were good recommendations and we enjoyed them all.

Our one gripe, if you choose not to use the valet parking service is that the carpark in the adjacent office tower (nothing to do with Marriott) re-sets the weekend rate at midnight on Sunday. Our early hours on Monday carpark stay was in our view, excessively expensive, for what was "off peak" park.

In summary, we were well please with our stay, we felt we had received very good value for money and would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed at the Dallas Marriott City Center for 2 nights in January 2012. I enjoyed my stay very much and I thought the hotel was very good. I stayed in a standard room (king) and at first I thought the hotel had upgraded me without telling me because the room was surprisingly large. The rooms seem to have been renovated pretty recently because they were very modern and clean. The beds are super comfortable but my sleep wasn't that great. I could hear a light tapping sound through my vent, which disturbed me a little. (I'm a light sleeper though and I doubt it would bother a heavy sleeper).

One thing that I particularly enjoyed was the number of outlets in the room. We all travel with so many small electrical devices these days and it can be frustrating when there isn't anywhere to plug them in.

The hotel is connected to a galleria and there are many places to eat (as well as an ice skating rink). Most of the shops and restaurants close around 5pm (or so), so I would not rely on them for dinner. The one thing I didn't love about the hotel was the room service. My food was lukewarm and soggy and not really appetizing. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and that was delicious though.

The hotel's concierge lounge is also fantastic.

The location of the hotel is great. It is located right next to a DART station, and it is only 2-3 stops from the 6th Floor Museum at Dealy Plaza. I'd stay there again for sure!

1 Thank cjb11711
North Richland Hills
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Nice size rooms and good city views. Beds comfy, but heavy comforters are cumbersome. Nice bar menu in lieu of full dinner prices; well drinks $5 @ happy hour. No pool or hot tub, but two computer terminals available at no charge in lobby. Fun to watch ice skaters in rink adjacent to lobby. Valet parking is $23, breakfast buffet $19 with spotty service --ouch!
Easy 4-5 block walk to Symphony Hall, Winspear, and Performing Arts Center. West End, Deep Ellum would require short taxi ride. Just a few blocks to Dallas Farmers Market.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise. Elevators are prompt.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeniorTrips
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

If you're a Marriott Platinum rewards member you'll appreciate the newly updated concierge lounge. It's beautifully appointed with comfortable seating and dining furniture, subdued evening lighting, and great views of the Dallas skyline. The lounge is huge with enough space so you can conduct a business call without being overheard by the entire lounge. Morning and evening food selection is very good - the staff does a great job of keeping fresh food available.

You can request a room with a view of the City Centre ice rink or the City itself. My king size room was well appointed, a decent size, quiet and quite comfortable, but most important it was well maintained.

The lobby was still ungoing renovations during my week long stay, but if the rest of the hotel is any indication it should turnout nicely.

If you are valet parking a car call at least 20 minutes ahead to have it ready for you or you risk waiting at least that long while the car is being retrieved.

The gym cardio and weight equipment were new and all was in working order. Marriott seems to be putting a bit more effort into this area of their hotels - finally! The hotel has a indoor lap pool (not regulation length at approximately 20m) that as a lap swimmer I was elated to see. However I decided not to use it since it was super heated - which works well for lounging around, but not lap swimming.

I will definitely stay at this hotel for upcoming Dallas business trips.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the City Centre ice rink for a change of pace.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business