“REAL TX BBQ”

Pecan Lodge
Ranked #9 of 3,738 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 13, 2014

As soon as these guys move into their new space, be prepared to get our early and get in line. Pecan Lodge BBQ is one of the best in TX and hands down the best in Dallas. These guys get it and appeal to a broad range of BBQ lovers, from the Beef Ribs, spare ribs, Pulled pork and their BRISKET!! I believe their new location will be in the Deep Ellum District and its worth the drive. Be warned get there early and get there hungry!!

1  Thank ivan P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,308)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Ok so this is my first time to Pecan Lodge after seeing/reading many "have to go" reviews. They open at 11a and I go there about 10:50 and was roughly the 50th person in line. I expected that from the reviews. Had a nice talk with the couple behind me while we waited 1 hour to get our food. Beef ribs, pork ribs, jalepeno sausage, mac n' cheese - all sold out. No problem, I had the brisket and pulled pork with pinto beans. Loved the pulled pork. The brisket was fatty which kept it from being dry. Had to cut off most of the fat but there was plenty within the meat. The fat 'made' the brisket. Yum. Otherwise brisket not that great. I actually like the outer blackened part better than the inner meat. Two sauces, one sweet/thick and the other spicy. I really loved the spicy sauce and it was a perfect complement to both meats. The sweet one one just ok, but probably a personal preference. The beans were not good. Tough and not a good flavor. I'd go back and try to get some ribs and sausage. My rating is a little lower due to the long wait and the location in a market mall which doesn't provide much atmosphere. They are supposed to be moving this year to their own brick and mortar location. I hope they can get some more pits to have more meat available all day.

1  Thank Scott M
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I had business in downtown Dallas last week so began searching TA for a good Q joint near where I would be working. I found the Pecan Lodge and decided to give it a try. Am I glad I did! I got my normal "starter" plate to check out places new to me - a sliced brisket and sausage plate. The brisket was some of the best I've ever had. Thick bark, deep smoke rings, deep smoky flavor and fork tender. I'm hooked. Now my go-to place when in downtown Dallas.

1  Thank Tupelo010835
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This food is the best brisket I've ever had, especially the flat (lean brisket). Hell, it's the best food I've ever had. The fat saturates the meat and the rub absorbs so well it will knock you out of your chair. The meat is cooked to an exactly perfect level. The lean brisket was better than almost any point (fatty) brisket I've had anywhere else. The sauce has so many levels of flavor that perfectly compliments the meat. Some flavors don't register until seconds after eating it. It is an experience. You won't find better brisket than this. Come 40 minutes before opening to minimize waiting in line, it will put you up front and you won't regret it when you see how many people are lined up by opening time. We enjoyed the Fatty brisket, lean brisket, jalapeño sausage, Mac and Cheese (which was super), and the Banana pudding (which put a cherry on the whole experience). The banana pudding went so well as a finisher for the meat. This guy understands flavors and balance and should be rendered a barbecue Yoda. The place doesn't look like a whole lot but be prepared to experience culinary excellence!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Located in the Dallas Farmers' Market. There is construction in the area, so you may have to look for it-just follow the smell of the outside barbeque pit. At first, I thought "What has my husband gotten us into," but every thing was great. THE SECRET IS OUT-LONG LINES-GET THERE AT 11am. We got in a line that extended half way thru the Market bldg & got to the counter in 25 min.They serve food until they run out. We went on Good Friday & they were out of meat by 3pm. Meat was tasty & cole slaw was fresh. We got locally brewed beer at the Cheese stand nearby. Customers ranged from travelers, to drs. to business suits to families. Like I said, the word is out about this little barbeque place.

Been to Pecan Lodge? Share your experiences!