“If you live in area- this is where you get Q”
Review of Pecan Lodge

Pecan Lodge
Ranked #9 of 3,691 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed November 18, 2012

What is there to say? This is the place to get BBQ in Dallas. Pecan Lodge got a coveted invite to the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest alongside the central Texas big dogs. The brisket and sausage is dynamite, as is the Hot Mess- the stuffed sweet potato. Get there at least 30 minutes before it opens or else it might sell out. Expect a nice long line, but it's worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Dropped by the Pecan Lodge after seeing review on Diner, Dives, & Drive Ins. I knew it would be packed, but boy - it was worth the wait. After diving into the "Pitmaster" I can see what everyone was so happy to line up for! Also sampled the Mac & Cheese and the ribs looked TDF.
Go early - they close when the food runs out :)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm a Triple D fan. I don't trust Guy Fieri all the time, but based on his more-than-positive reaction to eating at Pecan Lodge, I knew I had to go there. My husband and I got there at 11am this morning (Friday), and the line was already wrapped around the corner. After waiting 20 minutes to get to view the menu on the chalkboard, I noticed that the combo plates did not come with any bread or rolls. What??? How can you eat BBQ without bread? And they only had bottled water and canned cokes. How is it that none of the other reviews mentioned this? I could have brought my own canned DP and blended right in. So we ordered the 3 meat combo ($15) and Hot Mess ($9) and bottled water ($1.50) and our total came out to be around $28. For the 3 meat combo, I requested 2 portions of brisket and 1 portion of pulled pork with a side of pinto beans. The meats were tender and flavorful, but the pinto beans lacked flavor. I loved both sauces, but then again, I like tangy flavor. It would have been nice if I had some bread to go along with the meat, but I digress. The Hot Mess, on the other hand, was a big disappointment. The barbacoa had no flavor (other than cumin), and I feel that it did not complement the sweet potato in any way. We ended up using the sweet potato as our starch since we obviously didn't have any bread. In conclusion, we had a nice lunch, but for $28, I don't feel it was worth it.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I got the 2 meat plate with pulled pork, brisket and a side of Macaroni and Cheese. The brisket was so moist and flavorful, great bark and smoke ring on it. The pulled pork was moist and delicious! Both meats were served with BBQ sauce but I did not need to use it. Macaroni and Cheese needs some work but these guys know BBQ!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've enjoyed different styles of BBQ across the country and they're all good in their own way. I went to Pecan Lodge on a Friday morning after cruising the farmers market. We got in line around 1030 and had maybe 15 people in front of us. By the time we left the line was all the way to the end of Shed #2 maybe 150 people in line. Rather than try multiple sides we decided to get a pound each of brisket, ribs, pulled pork and a sausage. The guy at the cash register made a few suggestions and we sat down with our carnivores dream. Multiple people can up and asked how we had ordered because it looked so awesome.

The brisket was my first taste and it nearly made me cry. The meat was moist, smokey, with an aggressive rub resulting in a crisp bark . Just the right amount of fat to make it melt in your mouth. Never used a fork. The order came with two types of sauce - a Carolina style bbq sauce and a more traditional sauce. Both were good but neither were necessary. The meat speaks for itself. After I composed myself I tried the beef ribs - they leave the silverskin on and it makes the ribs so moist and tender. The rub was not quite as bold but a perfect balance the rib meat. Again no sauce was necessary. The pulled pork was very good but not as flavorful or remarkable. The sausage link was perfectly done and very good.

I would strongly recommend Pecan Lodge to anyone who appreciates the love and effort that these folks put into their food. Come early and come hungry.

Been to Pecan Lodge? Share your experiences!