“Some of the best bbq I've had”
Review of Pecan Lodge

Pecan Lodge
Ranked #9 of 3,669 Restaurants in Dallas
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I am from the Kansas City area originally. People always talk about who's bbq is better. KC, Memphis, North Carolina, Texas, or wherever. But now that I have been all over and had bbq almost everywhere I think that I can safely say that it doesn't matter. Well seasoned smoked properly smoked meat can be done anywhere. So, I feel no shame in telling you that the Pecan Lodge in Texas is every bit as good and even better than any bbq that I have had in KC or anywhere for that matter. I am partial to Fiorella's Jack Stack Crown rib and even have been known to take a few ribs from Witchita's Hog Wild. Arthur Bryant, Gates, Oklahoma Joe's, whoever. Most would have a hard time competing with what I ate yesterday in Dallas at Pecan Lodge. Really nice guys, there, too. These guys flat out know how to smoke meat. The brisket was awesome as were the ribs. The pulled pork was a bit dry and not to the standard of the other two. Get the sweet potato thing! really good. I will say that the Mac and Cheese was pretty good. But maybe a little too spicey and could be even cheesier. Their sauce wasn't anything too special, but was good. They should offer a sweeter one for us KC folk. But it didn't really need any sauce. The Banana pudding was pretty good. But they should hop on a plane to Mobile, Alabama and try 'Mama's' in the downtown part of the city and see if they can match it.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

BBQ is just plain good, but Pecan Lodge does it just plain awesome. Of course we first heard about it from Guy Fieri, and have been wanting to go for months. I am so glad that we finally did.
First of all, there are complaints about the lines, but the key is to get there around opening time or shortly after, and go on a weekday if you can. We only waited about 15 minutes, and I think the longest anyone waited while we were there was 20 minutes. Well worth it. I ordered THE Hot Mess, a sea salt crusted baked sweet potato with southwest style barbacoa, cheese, spicy cream sauce, and fresh scallions on top. The barbacoa was tender, flavorful and a perfect complement to the sweet potato. I wouldn't mind finding it under my tree at Christmas. My mother ordered the 2 meat platter with a side of fried okra. The ribs had the most amazing bark on it, and the smokey, tender meat was sublime. That is what a good rib should taste like. The sausage was juicy and bursting with flavor, and had a nice snap to it when you cut it. We brought home another pound of the ribs and the special of the day, which was Wagyu brisket. The brisket melts also has a gorgeous layer of bark, and it just melts in your mouth. My daughter's pulled pork sandwich had a generous portion of meat and was accompanied by a kicky, vinegary jus that just made it that much better. I was texting friends and co-workers before I even finished my meal. We have found our BBQ place, and we will be going back - very often.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I started going to this place a year ago. It has, hands down, the best brisket and sausage in the city. Back then the wait was about 10-15 minutes, but Guy Fieri featured it on his show and because of the publicity the line's gotten out of control. I hear that the wait is more like an hour now. I love this place but I haven't been back because of the lines. Maybe the furor will die down next year and I can return. It's definitely my favorite barbeque in Dallas.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Noticed this place on DDD, and made a stop there on a Saturday at 12:30. There was a thirty minute wait. They have the best pulled pork I have ever tried in Texas. Of course this is Brisket country and that is also great. My wife had the Hot Mess (loaded sweet potato with Barbacoa) and thought it was great. Well worth the wait. This is as good a place as any in DFW for BBQ. If your lked pulled pork this is the place in DFW for you.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Best BBQ I have ever had! I am a fan of the Railhead and Rudy's so I really had my doubts. But This is hands down the best in the area. We sampled the ribs, brisket, sausage, hot mess. Wow portions we're large and plenty to take home. Worth the wait!