“Trendy Luxury Boutique Hotel for the Young Professional”
Review of Hotel ZaZa Dallas

Hotel ZaZa Dallas
Ranked #2 of 207 Hotels in Dallas
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I hate hipsters, but I've fallen victim to the charm of staying in luxury boutique hotels. When my fiance and I were planning a summer trip to Dallas, a friend recommended Zaza and from the reviews online I decided it would be great. We stayed for two nights in a deluxe king room and I'd say Zaza strives to be on par with any of today's luxury boutique hotels.

There's a lot that has already been said about this place, but here are my top 3 praises:

1. Fabulous staff & top notch service. The majority of the staff were all young and good looking, but they lacked the snootiness of other places (see my scathing review of the Edition in Waikiki). We just happened to be staying there right when the NBA finals were going on in Dallas (which made for fun nights out). However, despite what I assumed was a full-house, the staff never made us feel rushed or unwanted. Thank you!

2. The courtesy hotel shuttle. They have at least 2 shuttles on hand (if not more), so we never had to wait for a FREE shuttle to return. On top of that, the shuttle drivers had tons of fabulous suggestions for places to see, eat, and drink.

3. Dragonfly and poolside dining. The pool and dragonfly restaurant provided much needed reprieve from the 100 degree weather. I expected the restaurant to be pricey, but was surprised by their VERY reasonable prices. We had lunch there and I had the ahi tacos (tasty) for $10 and my fiance ordered a BLT (also only $10). Although tiny, the restaurant/bar is a vibrant little space decorated for my hidden hipster.

4. I know I said top 3, but I must mention that the pressure from the shower head was amazing. I don't think I've had that great of a shower in any hotel before.

I don't have any real criticisms of the hotel. However, I am a 20-something young professional so I think this place was more suited to my style than a family with young kids.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kristakiyoko
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Woo hoo! Thanks for the great review and recognizing our dedication to the finest of details, including our shower pressure! Our owner is a fanatic when it comes to shower pressure and I am glad! We look forward to your return and we won't tell anybody that you have fallen victim to the charm of our boutique hotel!

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,204)

Reviewed June 10, 2011

This was a great experience. Very hip, there is something unique, quirky and interesting to see in every place you look. The room, Club ZaZa Superior King, was quite comfortable. The restaurant, Dragonfly, had an outstanding menu and very attentive service. The pool area and outdoor bar is great for people watching. Our business meetings were held in the ZaZa Social House—which was a unique space, a former storefront now an art gallery. When in Dallas, make it a point to stay ZaZa!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Thanks for the review! We love "FUN" in our reviews. We do like our fun! Thanks for the kind words regarding your room, poolside and Dragonfly. I especially appreciate the props for the Art House and Social Gallery. That space is killer to hold small meetings, receptions and dinners. Love it!

Thanks again!

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Hotel ZaZa is a unique and beautiful hotel but in a different way. The furnishings are unique. Rooms are a good size and very attractive. Small but very pretty pool area. Extremely "happening" weekend place. I would NOT suggest this hotel for familie or a more mature crowd. It is a very much a hip-happening place for couples or younger people. Extremely busy at night with the club area. A more mature customer is not going to like it. The spa was very nice. I would rate my massage as okay not the best that I have ever had. Personnel were young but professional and nice. A shuttle is offered in the way of a Suburban which was great. We used it twice. The driver was very, very nice.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for the great review! I will pass along your comments to our Spa Director so he can use the feedback for continuous improvement. We typically cater to all ages but you are right ...we generally are not atop the list of where to bring Greg, Marsha, Peter, Bobby, Cindy and Jan (can't forget about Jan!). We like for you to leave them behind with Alice and stay ZaZa!

Again, thanks for the kind words!

Reviewed June 1, 2011

My gf got us one night at the hotel as a suprise. The hotel and atmosphere was amazing. The club can be loud but we had a balcony room which over looked it and we were pre warned! We wanted the music so did not bother us! BTW the club was great with great music! Dinner at Dragon fly was very good. Con..Had reservations and still had to wait 30 min. Room was large and very nice. A big con was before checking in my GF noticed it said two double beds and she had reserved a king. Called and they said that ment nothing and we had a king. She insisted on what it said. They again said no you will have a king. When we got to our room it was two full beds! Granted we still made it work but the issue is she asked twice about it! Over all a cool and fun hotel. Noise does travel through the walls but well worth it!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Selfcentor
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2011

I sent a message to your account earlier. I apologize for the mix up with the room type. I will make sure your account is noted for a complimentary upgrade the next time your travels bring you back to Dallas. Thanks for the kind words regarding your experience and we hope to see you back soon!

Managing Directory

Reviewed May 29, 2011

The good: very chic hotel. great location within walking distance to restaurants & bars. good onsite restaurant and bar. Rooms are spacious.
The bad: The pool, bar & restaurant area turns into a club at night, It is definitely a party hotel and it is VERY loud. If you're looking for a party hotel, Za Za will work for you, but if you're a light sleeper or want a more relaxing time, I'd be wary.
The ugly: The service was simply awful. We had reserved 2 rooms- 1 for 3 nights and the 2nd for 2 nights. They couldn't find the 2nd reservation. Even with my printed confirmation from Jetsetter, it was still a hassle. OK, these sorts of things happen, but the people at the front desk were so unbelievably rude about it. Apparently, I was causing them a tremendous inconvenience to give us our 2nd (and PREPAID) room. They also have a complimentary shuttle- in theory. We called down to the valet stand to ask if they would take us to a specific area. They said yes, and recommended a time to leave to avoid rush hour traffic. When we went downstairs, they told us the destination was too far (I got 3 different mileage requirements over the course if our stay) and we would have to take a taxi. When I explained that we had been told differently on the phone, the valet was extremely rude (again) and kept questioning me with the implication that we were lying! Lastly, we had some questionable charges on our bill at check out. There were charges showing up as "room service charges" when we had never ordered room service. It turned out that they were bar charges that were classified incorrectly, but I felt justified in questioning it since the descriptions were unclear. Furthermore, our waitress at the bar the previous evening had simply disappeared and I couldn't find her to sign my bill. So I wanted to be sure we were not overcharged. Again, the woman at the desk was beyond rude. It was pretty much the last straw. The whole thing really put a damper on our girls weekend. And I was pretty appalled that a hotel billed as 4 star would have such terrible service. I know we'll never go back nor would I recommend Za Za to anyone visiting Dallas.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank kristi34607

Thanks for your comments as well as your concerns regarding the billing. I am glad we were able to explain the bar charges to you prior to your checkout. JetSetter reservations at times can be a handful when we receive more than one reservation for the same person. We are working with our team to resolve the glitch in our system. I know you arrived early and your assigned rooms were not ready upon your early arrival. Thanks for your patience as the staff worked to accommodate your early arrival. We were extremely busy on Friday night and we try to take care of all early arrival requests but sometimes we just aren't able to due to late checkouts from the previous evening.

Thanks for the great scores in facility, cleanliness, etc. We will work on the service glitch with respect to the multiple reservations from our travel partner.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2011

I have always loved Hotel Zaza in Houston. It's location and design have been very friendly and inviting. The pool and ZaSpa are both relaxing as well. However, when I decided to stay at Hotel Zaza in Dallas, I was disappointed that it felt more like a club than a luxury hotel. Also, the pool wasn't very private or relaxing being practically in the restaurant (which was very good and better than Monarch). The lobby was small and nothing like Houston's and it wasn't very inviting when I arrived back at the hotel after going out only to be greeted by a fully lit entrance. I was surprised, because I figured Dallas was all about looks and the Houston hotel turned out to be a lot nicer. The rooms, however, were just as nice and I loved the Calamari Salad from Dragonfly.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank wrileytaylor
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Judging by the disparity in reviews of this hotel, I guess it really depends what you are looking for in a hotel. If you want poor, dismissive serivce, and a "see and be seen" atmosphere, this place is for you. The service was horrible - from leaving our luggage in the lobby (and then we had to go get it ourselves and bring it to our room), to the front desk staff acting like we were bothering them, to be overcharged on the bill (and not resolving it). If you want to take your shirt off and be seen by the pool, by all means, this is your spot. If you want customer service, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCTraveler5589
ZaZaHouston, General Manager at Hotel ZaZa Dallas, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2011

I certainly take blame for the lack of service you received by our front desk and bellmen. We have shared the observations with the team and we are all embarrassed with our performance. Our pool is quite popular on the weekends and does attract a crowd of locals who stay with us on Friday and Saturday nights in order to lounge at the pool. I apologize if you felt this was offputting for you. I would love to have a chance to win you back as a ZaZa guest!