“Everything You Can Ask for In a Hotel”

Le Meridien Dallas by the Galleria
Ranked #55 of 203 Hotels in Dallas
Houston, Texas
“Everything You Can Ask for In a Hotel”
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The rooms have a European design, but the space is enormous. The hotel is really swanky. At check in, you can actually pick your own key card (I always choose the eyeballs). The rooms are ultra plush and modern. It comes with a 42 inch or so flat screen television, IPod and laptop docking stations. The beds are more comfortable than a Westin Heavenly bed. The bathroom floors seems to be made of limestone or Austin Stone. The food was delicious. Across the street from the Galleria Mall and a block from Target and Valley View Mall.
Cons:
Room service carts and platters littered the hallways overnight. The noise from the bar area downstairs traveled to the upper floors and the $20.00 valet ONLY parking--you will get upset when you see that all the parking is only steps from the hotel.

Room Tip: Good luck in getting a single bed.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lovetotravel318

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Visited the hotel mid week while on business and things were pretty low key. I really enjoyed the room, however. The beds weren't the most comfortable in the world, but they did the trick. I would stay here again for my next trip to Dallas.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times with my Son for a “Boys Night Out” – or give Mom a Break – as I travel a lot for work., so we come here to have fun, relax, play at the pool, order room service, watch movies and doing something around the area.

I normally get a great rate via Hotwire, so that make things even better.

The Hotel is very contemporary, both in the rooms and public areas, with almost everything based around the Atrium – including the lounge and restaurant.

Although it is right by the Galleria it is not easy or obvious to get to, unless you know the local area, you might want to check or ahead for directions otherwise. Since there is a Westin Hotel on the Galleria itself, I wonder if was built as an “overflow” from that, especially since they are both Starwood Brands.

We are always made to feel very welcome by all the staff, although since these are stays are short - it’s fair to say we don’t have too much interaction.

The Rooms themselves are very generously sized - pretty much a junior suite – I like the layout with the TV in the middle - along with the multimedia connections so you can lay out on the sofa, or watch from the bed, or generally just hang out and
The only room negative is the fridge, they are using a peltier fridge – not a proper one, which is really designed to keep cool things cool. Free Internet as well, which is always good!

I have stayed here more than once since December 2009, and I have not seen any wear and tear described by others, maybe I have just been lucky.

We had room service the last time, I like the special they have here, where if you spend $15 you can order a movie for free

The Pool in the basement, while not huge, is not a bad size and the whole area is well maintained, almost a mini oasis in the middle of all the hustle and bustle.

The major negative for me is hotel parking, as others have mentioned the only option is valet and $20 a night, which is ridiculous for the area, especially since the Galleria is next door and free! In fact that is what we did on our last stay, our car was 2 mins away from the front door, not exactly inconvenient.

Overall a solid 4 Star Hotel, if business or pleasure brings you to this part of Dallas, or if you are local and want a quick getaway - you can’t go far wrong coming here.

Room Tip: Park across the Street at the Galleria
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank davidmf
MN
Reviewed June 8, 2011

If you arrive in the daytime, the white walls show their wear, the decor is a little harsh, and the trendy vibe seems a bit too IKEA. I checked in late afternoon, sun streaming in and the room looked dingy, every defect showed.
But like most things, when you hit evening and dim down the lights, it's much prettier. So when I returned later that night, the turn-down service had left me a dessert treat, turned on ambient lighting, and the room was actually quite beautiful.
Note - housekeeping is lacking as of June 2011, bathroom floor was very unclean, I will spare you the detail, but they did come in and clean it for me. The coffee maker had used coffee pods in the water reservoir which was gross, but again, front desk came through and delivered a small pot of coffee prior to my 6AM call, which was a fine solution.
In summary - trendy decor like a Zen inspired IKEA concept, responsive staff, generous room size, very nice towels, firm but comfy bed, small saltwater pool in the basement, decent size workout room. The downside: inadequate housekeeping, hefty fee for valet parking (required, no free or self park). For the money, I'd pick the Westin next door as a first choice for overall quality.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We live in Dallas and dined at their restaurant for the first time. Our initial impression upon arrival was disappointment because the parking is valet only and we prefer to park ourselves. Upon entering the hotel, we discovered the restaurant was the lobby bar which was not the ambience we were hoping for and after standing around for a few minutes feeling ignored, we realized it was a seat-yourself venue. However, the place is very elegantly appointed and we did not experience any disturbing noise factor as can typically occur in a lobby or bar area. Once seated, the disappointment ceased. Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and anything else about the hotel we were interested in. Everything we ordered was well prepared and very tasty. The fried calamari was perfectly cooked and served with an Asian type of sauce -- very unique and a delightful surprise. The pork tenderloin medallions were melt-in-your-mouth and included a light sauce that added another dimension of flavor without smothering the pork. The flank steak special was also perfectly cooked and tender. For dessert, the chocolate molton cake was recommended and we also tried their version of strawberry shortcake using a lemon poundcake. I love chocolate but this shortcake version was my favorite. I would be remiss to leave out the lemon drop martini perfectly prepared by the bartender with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and sugar rim. We'll be back and hopefully soon!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2011

While the rooms and facility are a lovely design, the front line staff has little discretion, internal communication does not work well, and I was confronted with the possibility of having to go to an emergency room because hotel policy does not entrust access to the lost and found to anyone on the night staff. Examples and details are below.

Discretion and communication: I had to make multiple requests for at least 4 of our days there for the room to be cleaned. My pet was properly caged or on several days I would take him downstairs to wait only to discover an hour later tht though the desk thought my room was done, it was not. The leaning could be a bit lax (room service napkin layed on floor 4 days. However, I commend the honesty of the cleaning staff. The day I check out my makeup bag I was missing and it contained prescriptions medications. Though I am local and the hotel had my mobile number, no one called and when I found that the bag was missing I immediately called and was told the day manager had left and that neither the night manager nor anyone else on property overnight could check the lost and found, depriving me of antibiotics and asthma meds. I began calling the hotel at 6 AM the next AM after a miserable night. Though the manager can around 7:30 AM and I made several calls, It was only a couple of hours and messages latter that a front desk staff person (not the manager) finally returned a message and told me meds were there. Though I was quite sick by then, I had to drive to the hotel to get the medications. Only the wooden front line protocol of saying we are sorry.
Wht does manage have such a policy? It was an outrage that from around 5PM until 7:30 AM no one could open lost and found. THE CULTURE IS SO LOW TRUST??? WHAT IF IT HAD BEEN HEART MEDICATION OR IF I HAD ENDED UP IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM (BUYING THE REPLACEMENT FOR ONE NIGHT of my meds costs over $400!)

I COULD GO ON WITH OTHER EVIDENCE OF POOR MANAGEMENT. THE WHIRLPOOL WAS OUT THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE THERE AND WET TOWELS WERE LEFT FOR LONG PERIODS. Some of the staff are "tip hounds" (like on the Champs Elysee in France). The Room Service gentleman brought up a $15 pint of Hagan Daas with 2 spoons 1 napkin no bowls and no tray. If this isn't sheer laziness it is likely because I didn't give him an extra tip when he brought a routine order up and seemed to hang around to pressure a tip, even though I confirmed that a gratuity is included. Even the front desk staff, who seem like they are decent sorts conscious of what is going on seem to be empowered to do little besides wring their hands.

To add insult to injury is the Auto-Emails. The first email priase me as a valued guest. A few days ago I had a message asking me to complete a survey (the pro forma sort ). Aha-- here is my chance, I thought. I wrote much of the above only to receive a :please fill out the questionnaire auto folllow-up. Pity they carry the Le Meridien name. I cherished memories of stays elswhere in their hotels, especially in Cancun where management and staff were attentive and made me feel completely pampered.

Room Tip: I wouldnt want a room facing inner atrium!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jadorelesvoyages_11
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I first stayed here with my husband in November 2010, relatively shortly after it opened. We loved it! The rooms were clean and spacious, the staff was courteous, and the location was good, too. We've stayed here three times since then, the most recent ending today. Last time we noticed that some maintenance needed to be done - the walls and ceilings showed wear, doors were smudgy, things like that. Well, this time, our room has several places where the molding on the corners is broken off, the doors are scuffed, the bed is lumpy, the bedside tables are stained, the toilet actually rocks when you sit down, and the bathroom smells vaguely of sewage. This was a short stay and we were using reward points, so perhaps we were siphoned off to a poorer room as a result. If so, that is certainly not the way to instill loyalty in customers. Add to this the $20 mandatory valet parking and the price (even using points!) is simply not worth it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple