“Drinks + small plates”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Belleview
Transit: Cedars stop on the DART is one block east of the Cedars Social on Belleview Street
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Another Dallas favorite that seems to be somewhat unknown still... which means there isn't a 2 hour wait, and that's a beautiful thing. We've been here on a number of "sunday fun-day's" for afternoon cocktails and a round of small plates... one round of this always turns into at least two because their drinks and menu items are both so good. I suggest going with "The Number 4" and "the shakedown highball" on drinks, and their truffle mac and cheese is addicting and their Brussels sprouts were perfect.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Cedars Social seems to be one of those places sophisticated diners want to avoid -- the thrown together resto that hopes its 'hipness' will make you overlook all of its flaws.

Good friends asked us out to brunch. This seemed like a great option. Wow. The place was so utterly understaffed we waited 15-20 minutes for our cocktails and another hour+ for our food (at which point I was brought pancakes rather than the french toast I had ordered).

To his credit, our server was apologetic but it was more of a 'gee that's how we can be around here sometimes' apology. They did take the french toast off of the bill. And the cocktails were interesting. But the ham in my co-diners' omelets was heavily overcured. Someone else had meat that was terribly gristly. And that french toast I waited 1 hour 15 minutes for was a gloppy and slightly burnt mess.

So if your definition of hip and cool is offbeat decor and patrons screaming at each other across the table at one another, this is the place for you. If your defintion of hip and cool is great food and reliable service, look elsewhere.

1  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Cedar Social is that certain type of lounge / restaurant that comes along and takes you by surprise. The menu sets out to balance that fine line between comfort food and haute cuisine. For some items it works and works well. The truffle mac and cheese is top notch. The short rib tacos are very good; big on flavor, but a little messy to eat due to flimsy corn tortillas. Still very good though. The Misto Fristo is stack of fried shell fish that my wife says was good, but a little greasy. We were comped devil eggs that were traditional, but good. The menu is appealing overall and I want to try more. And I will. Prices are moderate to pricey.

The drink menu is the star attraction here. I had a Sazerac and my wife the number 4; a gin based drink with notes of cardamom and pepper.

Service was excellent. We never waited for anything.

The atmosphere is loungy. The place puts out a polished retro hip vibe that is infectious. I really like this place and where it's located. I'll be back on a different night to try other things on the menu and see if that vibe is a constant. I hope that it is, cuz the Cedar Social is cool, really.

1  Thank Husejin D
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This restaurant is just across the road from the NYLO hotel where we were staying. Having gone there on a Sunday evening following previos Trip Advisor recommendations, we enjoyed the meal so much we immediately rebooked to return the following evening.
The food and service are excellent and we enjoyed both evenings

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Had the mistake of showing up with no reservations, bad move no tables all night. Drinks are extremely great. Bar is super crowded but servers are super attendant. Will be back for dinner soon.