“Off the Hook”

Description: Casual
Georgetown, Texas
“Off the Hook”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After a fruitless and frustrating attempt to get many restaurants in the Dallas area to contact me about having a place to hold the rehearsal dinner for my son's wedding (we live 3 hours away from Dallas), I finally rented a room to use and decided to have an indoor picnic with REAL Texas BBQ. I read various reviews for Off the Bone, and decided to use them to provide our food.
It was a very good decision. The food was awesome, and since the bride's family are mostly from the west coast (California and Washington) there were many exclamations of "this is the best barbecue I ever had!" And I agree. Not to mention the food was delivered to our location in Garland right on time, and piping hot. Our delivery guy (forgot to get his name) and the others who helped him were very professional and made sure we had everything we needed.
Dine in or delivery - GREAT BBQ!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank LCU-ACUMom

Reading, United Kingdom
“Friendly and great food”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

In Downtown for a work conference, someone suggested we walked out to this restaurant for some authentic Texas BBQ. I would NOT recommend anyone walk here from Downtown as it can be quite a walk in the heat! There is a DART station nearby or get a cab.

Initial impressions were that this place was not a restaurant but more of a self service fast food/take out style place with limited seating. We ordered in the kitchen after selecting our beers from the glass fridge. I had a combo of 2 X meat and 2 X sides with a Shiner Bock beer for $18. The food was brought over on disposable trays.

The food was excellent. My brisket and ribs were tender, juicy and very flavoursome. The slaw tasted slightly of blue cheese which was a nice combination. The beans with chorizo were a little runny and bland. My only minor criticism was for the additional sauce they put on the ribs had too much vinegar in, overpowering the excellent ribs (but that was my preference, others loved it).

Nice friendly staff, great food. I would go back again tomorrow! Btw, there are some nice bar/pubs a block down by the NYLO hotel, to get some after dinner drinks.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank zpme
Tallahassee, FL.
“The real deal”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

After this being recommended by staff at the Omni we walked over. And walked, and walked. It was worth the mile+ in the Dallas sun. The lady behind the counter was smart, happy, and healthy and figured out a way for me to get a small piece of the smoked sausage on a plate that I shared with my wife who is not a sausage fan. We had the two-meat of ribs and pulled pork and finished with a home-made pound cake that was moist and delicious.

You won't find this place my mistake but it is as good as Texas BBQ gets.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank JanRog
York, Pennsylvania
“Good and Inexpensive”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were really hungry for good BBQ during our trip to Dallas and found this place through Trip Advisor. It is the quintessential hole in the wall with great food. You place your order at the counter, grab a drink from the refrigerator and find a spot in the tiny dining area. Then you just dig into the delicious ribs with meat that literally falls off the bone and brisket that makes you want to lick your fingers. The portions are big and prices are small. The workers were so friendly that the warmth extended from them to the diners and everyone was talking to everyone else. My mouth is watering just thinking about those ribs!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank civility
Nashville, Tennessee
“Off the Bone”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

There really isn't much to this place in terms of being an actual restaurant. The interior is rather small, maybe a dozen or so tables. It looks like a significant portion of their business stems from catering and to-go orders.

After a quick perusal of the menu, I decided on a 2 Meat, 2 Side Combo of smoked pecan baby back ribs and sliced brisket, with their Southern potato salad and honey spiced baked beans on the side. When my order came out, I wasn't really expecting it to be slathered in sauce. The menu didn't specify, and I failed to ask.

The baked beans had a great texture and some definite spice to them. All that honey gave the beans a nice taste, but added a little too much sugar to the already sweet baked beans. The potato salad had a high volume of hard boiled eggs and onion. The flavor was good, and I appreciated that it wasn't overrun with mustard. It had a nice spice it too.

The brisket was juicy and moist, and had a great amount of bark on each slice. The fat was beautifully rendered, and added to the overall moistness of the brisket. I can't really comment on the smokiness of the meat because the dominant flavor was definitely the vinegar-tomato barbecue sauce. I liked the taste of their sauce just fine, but I wish it had come on the side.

I really wanted to sample the advertised pecan smoke on the ribs, but that wasn't happening. Just like the brisket, my ribs were drenched in sauce. They were very meaty. A few bites were a little on the dry side, but the majority of it was fairly tender. The meat stayed put, waiting on each individual bite before it slid off the bone. Given the heavy dose of sauce, the flavor was almost identical to the brisket.

Their website boasts the slogan: "It's as good as it looks." That's certainly true, although it's not really as positive an attribute as one might think. I'd like to go back and eat my combo sans sauce so that I can get a true grasp of their smoking abilities.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend